Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

yesterday at work, one of my co-workers told me that 4 people in my department had a stomach virus and had to call out. as most of you can imagine, this made me extremely nervous and scared. as soon as she left, i ran into the bathroom and started washing my hands like crazy, but i was still so scared being in the room. they could have touched anything, and it could be in the air! now i don't know if this is psychological or not, but some of last night and today my stomach has been bothering me. one of the girls who had the virus is gonna work tomorrow, and i'm supposed to work. well, it was bothering me so much before that i proceeded to call out because i'm just so paranoid. i thought if i got sick tonight or something, i wouldn't be able to go in. but even if i don't get sick, i don't wanna be in that area or around that girl in case she still has it in her system. my mom thinks i'm crazy & told me i'm overreacting, but wouldn't you do the same thing? or was i wrong in my decision?

also a few more questions...

when you get a stomach virus, are you immune to getting it for a certain amount of time? i thought i once read that if you get it, you won't get it for another year or something. i had a horrible one last year around christmas time, but that time is approaching, so i'm starting to worry about it coming back.

i mentioned this before, but can nausea be psychological? my mom says that i work myself up so much that i actually feel sick, but i might not actually be. can this really happen?

thanks guys

I think almost everyone has called in sick when they were nervous. I
    certianlly left school a lot for it too. You cannot ever really be
    immune to sv* because they mutate and there are so many different
    strands. Like I said before if you got one last year...it doesnt mean
    you wont get it for a year, who knows when you will get it again, but
    what you can do is keep your handso ff your face becasue that is how it
    spreads...through your mouth, eyes or nose if you have the virus on
    your hands. as for christmas time coming it doenst mean you will get
    sick...but you probably remember everything and have the fear in your
    head for remembering it all. N* can for sure be psychological, and i
    think for most of us with emets we have mental n* my mom has always
    said mind over matter, and she believes strongly in that. you ahve to
    find a way to calm yourself down, because it will make you feel better.
    mine is talking to someone, my mom, sister, bf, friends, anyone who
    will listen.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also, keep in mind thata lot of people call off work for a "stomach virus," when they are actually hungover, or just plain don't want to work. It is often a convenient excuse, because if you try to call off for a cold, and don't have the sniffles or a cough when you come back to work, it looks suspicious. Stomach bugs generally only last a day or so.

I think emets rarely get sick b/c we are very clean. We actually wash our hands after going to the bathroom, unlike some nasty people. Washing before eating also keeps a lot of germies away.

But if you work with a lot of twentysomethings, I would guess at least two of them are actually hungover, not sick. Been there, done that. Heard that excuse a million times. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HDogg has a good point. ALOT of ppl call in sick for "stomach flus" or viruses..

for example we had a girl go home "sick" last weekend.. usually i would be freaked out but... one thing i noticed everytime she was running to the bathroom was that the tiolet wouldnt flush.. and she seemed just fine when she came in with her huge taco bell cup full of soda.. anyways.. so for some reason i wasnt that freaked out.. maybe its my meds.. but who knows.. so then next day she comes in with a grande coffee in her hand.. ok so two.. if you had a "stomach flu" you would NOT be drinking a grande mocha less than 12 hrs later.. and three I happened to over hear her talking on the phone about a party she had at her house the night before.. (the night she went home "sick")

also alot of my freinds call in with "stomach flu's" when they are hungover and v* from the hang over and consuption of alcohol.

So dont get too worked up about it yet.. but to be safe just wash your hands alot.. and the sv* cant spread through the air like a cold can.. so you will be ok!

take care
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain