Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well I was visiting the yahoo questions thingy last night on the subject of stomach virus, which I do not recommend anyone do, sent me into a panic attack, and read some interesting stuff on olive leaf. I googled it, and read that it has properties that kill off viruses and bacteria, and one study said that it killed every virus that it was introduced to. Now, I sure don't believe this is the answer, and I know as a group we're sort of trying to get away from prevention and into dealing with it more, but I thought it was interesting. I mean it wouldn't hurt looking into, but I don't know much about it and I know that herbal things can be as dangerous as medicinal things in interaction and stuff like that. In a perfect world though, wouldn't it be great?[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I think I will get some at the health food store and just ask them about it. I already give my kids probiotics and cranberry extract, but they may be bellying up to olive too. By the way, I don't ever tell them why I'm giving them that, I just call them the "vitamins" and they have no idea what my true intention is. (prevent the sv or at least lessen the incidence) Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you! Janna

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Thanks for the info. I will look into it. Anything's worth a try, eh?
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

mmm, that is interesting. Let me know what you find out at the health food store (if I don't get there first, that is).

I will, I hope they have some info about it, they're usually pretty knowledgeable.

I'll ask my mom, she manages the local health food store (GNC) and is very knowledable on natural supplements.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

jandub, could you post the link where you found the info? I'd like to read it. Doyou give your kids chewable cranberry or tablets they have to swallow?

Worrygirl-I will try to find the link again specifically where it said it killed every virus it came in contact with. I mean you just don't know if the source is reliable, but every other article I read said that it was an anti-viral. I give my kids cranberry extract pills to swallow, but I've also bought the chewable ones, and they're really good. The guy at the health food store said that it wouldn't matter which kind I gave them. I am always on the lookout for anti-viral type stuff, I hope this olive leaf extract ends up being good. But I will look for the link and post it! Janna

Thanks jandub!

Well I looked again at different sites about olive leaf, and found too many to number, but here is a very informative website about it. www.djherbs.com/oliveleaf2.htm
    I just googled this....olive leaf extract+prevents stomach virus and I got a lot of stuff. Almost every one I read said that olive leaf kills viruses and bacteria, and a lot of them mentioned stomach viruses in particular. I know a lot of them are wanting you to buy their product, but some are just articles. It did talk about the stuff "detoxifying" your system and that you may get body aches or d*, but didn't say anything about v*. I think I will get some, if it works, I'll be happy, and even if it doesn't work for sv then it sounds like it has other health benefits. I'd like to think I could take something that starts killing viruses as soon as it hits my gut.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Janna

Sounds great...if you do try it, let us know if you get any side effects. Thanks for researching.

Interesting, thanks Janna! Sounds a bit too harsh for children though.

It does sound harsh for kids, I'll have to ask about that. Plus one thing I read said that it kills so much bacteria in your body that it can kill the good bacteria also, so take a probiotic, which I do, but wow, that is strong. I'm a little worried about the detox sickness though....[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] Janna

Hmmm....I don't think this is an extreme detoxer. So I think you'll be fine.