Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Probotics

I take probotics but how do they really work? what are the benefits?

Thank you
    Girlie Girl

Your as happy as you make up your mind to be...Mark Twain

My daughter and I both take them as well. From my understanding, they help maintain good digestive health, keep bad bacteria out of the intestines, and also reduce the chance of viruses in the intestines. I llove them, and believe that they work. I asked the pharmacist about the benefits and he confirmed this.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

where can i get these?

We get ours at Walgreens. They're called Acidophilus Probiotic. You can ask the pharmacist to show you where they are.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I have been getting mine from the Vitamin Shop. Hopefully they are all over the country. What I take is Primal Defense made by Garden of Life. I also eat plenty of yogurt and drink Keifer. These products are also sold at any health food store. There are tons to chose from. Keifer is beginning to be sold at all large grocery stores. It is refrigerated and comes in many flavors. It tastes just like yogurt, more like a smoothie. Since I am the only one at home who drinks it, I just take afew swallows from the carton several times a day. It all helps!
    Girlie Girl

Hairfixer, did you read that book "the maker's diet"? Just curious, because the author mentioned all of those things in that book. They're all supposed to be very good for intestinal balance/health. I was enthusiastic about it at first, but then realized I would never be able to keep up with the diet and everything else he suggested. Might try the probiotics again, though.

Probiotics boost the immune system which is based in the digestive tract. We lose so much of the "good" bacteria from the chemicals and preservatives in food. Probiotics replenish the normal flora of the intestines so that they can stave of viruses and bacteria.

If you ever need to take antibiotics, take acidopholus. It will combat the diarhea often associated with antibiotic use.

Stella

Yes, and antibiotics kill the good and bad bacteria so you need to replenish the good. That is why you will sometimes get a yeast infection when taking anitbiotics. It kills off the good flora.

Haiku25...no I never heard of the book, I just learned these things along the way. I started out just taking acidiphous and then learned about probotics so replaced the acidophlous with probotics. I went to a health food store and learned a great deal from the sales person. Then I learned about yogurt and keifer. It isn't hard, I just chug a few swallows of keifer 2 or 3 x aday when I open the fridge and take the phobotics on an empty stomach an hour before eating a meal and yogurt is always a good snack.
    Girlie Girl

I recommend buying them at GNC. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Yes, Your right New, GNC would carry an excellent selection
    Girlie Girl

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Haha, my mommy works at GNC, thus my constant adverising.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

NewSlang you crack me up, lol...I had me and my boyfriend eating yogurt
    with protein powder every day...it got boring. And I don't swallow
    pills...there are shots of acidopholis called BIO-K and they tasted
    yummy...but Im allergic to dairy, so all i can do is the soy, and im
    really senstive if not allergic to it too, so i can only have a TINY
    amount
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Can I give this stuff tomy toddler?

Nichole

I give my kids probiotics daily, but mine have to be refrigerated, so I didn't see any at GNC, but got them at another place and I hope they help. Haiku I've read The Maker's Diet and it was amazing. I don't think I could totally eat like that but I wish I could! janna

Nichole, I give acidophilus to my 3 year old and 20 month old. I usually get a liquid kind called Continental. It comes in strawberry flavor, and the kids love it. Whatever kind you get, it's best that it is from the refrigerated section, because it maintains the effectiveness of the live cultures.

Rubosoho, they make chewable acidophillus and probiotics. I've had the banana flavor, and they're pretty good. They also come in strawberry and blueberry.

Do the ones that take these find that you get sick less?

Areprobiotics and acidophilus the same thing? Do you take both or just one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks Dafodil!

I'll check it out at my health food store!

Nichole