Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Feeling ruined

Hi everyone,

It's been quite a while since I have posted on this forum or even read it. I am pretty superstitious about my phobia and sometimes this site makes me feel even more nervous (please don't anyone take offense at that). I don't know if anyone remembers my story, but I am 26 years old and about 6 years ago I had an "incident" with french fries, and that basically started my emetophobia.

Anyway, I've been feeling ok for quite a while now. About 4 years ago I went into therapy and my doctor put me on paxil for my anxiety attacks. But lately, I feel as though the drug is no longer working. About 2 weeks ago, my brother came to the house to help me do some plumbing work and his nine year old daughter came along with him. To make a long story short she v****** twice.My brother and his family are the types of people that seem to get this problem every other week and I can't stand hearing about it (I'm sure you all know people like this)..

I didn't catch anything from her being here, but lately I've just been feeling so nervous and exhausted all the time. It seems as though it started around the time that she came here several weeks ago. What made me want to post here was because today, my mother made spaghetti for dinner, and for some reason, the sauce smelled and tasted a little bit different to me (maybe spicier). Now, everyone assured me that it was exactly the same which terrified me even more. I think that if something smells or taste weird only to me, that indicates that there is something wrong with my stomach.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Is it possible for an anti-depressent to just stop working after a while. Could it be that my niece's illness has made me more nervous than I realized. I just want to be able to relax and I can't.

Anthony

well, the spicier, the better.

did you know that way back when, people would spice meat to keep bacteria from growing in it, so.. spicier can only mean good things.. as long as you are not prone to heart burn.

it sounds like your anxiety is getting a bit out of hand... maybe you could make an appointment with your doctor?

Im not currently on any meds ( I don't believe in them personally for myself) but if they work for you then thats great. I know for me, I work out 3 times a week and its the best stress release I have ever experienced.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

since you've been feeling anxious, you're probably sensitive to all the little things you don't typically notice... by the way, i live in nassau county =)

Im not sure but I have a feeling that the reason you think that you started feeling "off" after the visit from your neice is because you were aware that she had gotten sick and you let those thoughts really get to you. you know your mind can actually make you feel in a way that you actually do not feel all due to anxiety and panic. i hope you fell better soon and dont worry you will be okay.

I'm not completely sure how the meds work, but I would wonder if maybe your system might be getting used to them. Talk to your doctor about it. You might just need to bump up the meds, or even just work on some behavioral therapy. I think it's great that you are in tune with your feelings.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I have been on Paxil for a number of years, and it works great, but a couple years ago I found my anxiety rising. I went to my dr, and I went up to 40mg a day.

My mom also has panic/anxiety (not emet though) and she has just had to increase her Paxil as well. It's been a couple years since she started.

So, I am thinking that your body is probably getting "used to" the Paxil, and you may need to increase. I have also gone through rough patches, and am a cautious lurker here as well, due to increase in anxiety.

As for the spagetti....I am sure it is just your anxious mind playing with you. I totally get that one!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the kind responses. Right now I am taking 40 mg of paxis and I don't know if they go any higher than that (or if I would want them to). For me, the paxil works very well to relax me when everything is going fine. In other words, it usually prevents that imaginary nausea and stops me from thinking about this 24/7. But, when there is some sort of stimulus, such as my niece being sick, then I don't think any medication could help. I just wish that I could cut out the part of my brain that allows v*****.

Anthony