Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey, im not sure who is best to answer this, but sage if u have time it would be a real help !
    Well, ive just read sage's reply to emmas post about picking, and i picked up on the fact that sage said she had OCD when she was younger, i think it was 5 or 6, and it suddenly hit me, i remember when i was about that age i used to do things repeatedly, i cant remember what i did but i just remember doing things and saying to myself 'i have to do this a certain amount of times or this or that will happen' is that OCD? im not like that anymore and i dont do or say those things 2 myself, but is this a sign that my emet is more deep rooted than i first thought? i always thought it was from when i got ill when i was 13, but thinking back im starting to put a picture together of how i used to avoid rides when i was younger etc. Do u think it would be a good idea to talk about EMDR with my CBT therapist ? or maybe even regression? Someone please help !
    Faith-Marilyn
    xxxxx

heya you, your childhood OCD sounds very similar to the OCD i went thru as a child too.

its realy hard to understand wen ur little, all i knew was some voice kept telling me to do these things and do them again e.t.c. e.t.c.

this is for sure a sign that ur emet is more deep-routed. in the way that theres probably some cause of anxiety within you, that isnt just the fact u were ill wen u wre 13.

its defenitely worth tlkin to ur therapist about it , i'd imagine. no harm in doing so anyway!

Jen xxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok thanx jen, id never even thought about this before but just when i was readin sages reply it just hit me! ahh - well maybe now i can find some answers, i also found out that my cousin had emet when he was younger too but he's cured now so maybe theres hope 4 me too yey !
    xxxx

hes cured??? wow!. how did he manage that??

thats smthing quite significant!! emet running in the family!

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i dont know how he is cured, but he has a wife and gorgeous kid, i was speaking to him the other day altho he didnt know i know about his emet, im gunna approach it with him soon, hes always been strong so i think he literally pushed himself out of it so he cud get on with his life, i dunno, maybe that is possible?! Lets hope hey !!
    xxxx

When I was a kid I used to take objects such as books or toys and line them up in a certain order. I would do it over and over again. I think it may be a child's way of trying to focus anxious thoughts. It's the only thing I could come up with.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Yes, Yes - Faith-M! What a good idea! Take this to your EMDR therapist. And spend some time talking,if you can, about what life was like as a small child. Kids don't have symptoms of OCD for nothing.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

you know Sage - i was told the other day that everykid goes thru a slight phase of OCD wen they are growing up ... well maybe not EVERY kid.. but its NORMAL for kids to do that... what do u think?

Jen xxxx

MSN:

Thanx Sage! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Faith-M x

I wonder what is meant by a "slight" phase. Like anything else, there's a scale. My syptoms as child were pretty remarkable....counting everything...switching lights on and off 8 times. a ritual with touching each finger in turn on a counter or other surface. walking in ritualistic ways...and i remember being very anxious if i couldn't complete a sequence...

anyway - I'm sure it's like everything else. all kids have a fear of vomiting, too...cuz it's scary!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

wen i was little i used to look at the corner of my room loadsa times b4 iwent to sleep and i had to sleep with my quilt over the end of my bed like a princess because i thought i wud sick if i didnt! but now i do things like count the number on the telephone to 100 and if i mess up i do it again and again!
    elizabeth jones

Hey FaithM - i used to be similar when i was younger - but more like 13+ - i had to touch three pieces of wood each three time a pray that i wouldnt be sick. everynight before bed with out fail till i was at least 20...grr! i was just so scared that if i didnt then i might just get sick - and since id done it and i hadnt been sick then this obviously meant it was keeping me safe - altho now i realise that it actually has squat all to do with me v*ing or not!

Im not too sure about the OCD and the picking theory - sorry Sage! i know what you mean and totally agree if it was coz im panicking but it isnt really - i just pick - usually when im bored. it only moves to my skin and self harm if it is panic related and emet related but that is (touchin wood!) very rare now. i dont like doing it - too many scars. and i like wearing short sleaves in summer!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]