Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question for Sage (or anyone else who has info):

I recently got some information on Hypnosis - I was at the gym and they are having a hypnosis seminar for weight control - so I picked up the brochure to check it out (I was interested in seeing if this guy did phobia work - not the weight control part). He does.

My question is - does anyone know if there is any benefit to doing hypnosis as a supplement to the CBT, exposure, reading and medication I am doing right now. From my understanding - the hypnosis would have a positive influence on your subconscious thoughts - attempting to reverse them from the negative thoughts that are there now. It is a bit expensive so I am looking to anyone who knows about this or has tried it - to see if it is worth checking out.

I am not looking for the hypnosis to cure the phobia - I already know that won't happen - but I am wondering if it would give my recovery a positive boost - I have been feeling really stagnated lately and I am looking for new solutions or things that would help boost my recovery effort.

Any info you have would be great!

Thanks!

Jessica[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I have had mixed reviews about hypnosis. The only people who I've heard say it can help are the people doing it and charging money for it. This does not mean that it hasn't helped others - just that I haven't heard from them.

To tell you the truth, I haven't studied hypnosis personally, so I'm not even aquainted with what it is or its effects on the brain. I know it is a good way of learning relaxation techniques, given the right hypnotist. I also know that some very good, accredited psychotherapists use hypnotism and integrate it with other techniques such as EMDR, TFT, etc. The key, though, is the integration.

Sorry I can't be of much help. I still await someone who comes on here with a story of being successfully treated using hypnosis. Until then - your guess is as good as mine.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage,

Thanks for the feedback - I guess I am getting a little frustrated with my progress and I was looking for an alternative way to strengthen my recovery. I will see if I can get more feedback from others as well.

One other question for you - since you are the only person I know that has fully recovered from this phobia - how much time and effort did you put into recovery? I ask because I am doing CBT (once every 2 weeks - that is what my insurance will cover) - I am taking 20 mg of Celexa every day - I am trying to do exposure therapy (Margaret's pictures) when I can and read some books to assist me. Is that enough? Like I mentioned - I feel like I am not making any progress by doing all this and I refuse to give up. Do you have any additonal suggestions that might help me? I have totally had it with this fear and have resolved to do whatever I can to get rid of it!

I appreciate any guidance you can give - I respect your opinion so much since I know you are living the emet-free dream! Please help!

Jessica[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

i tried hypnosis to help me try and beat emet. To be honest it felt like a big fat con!! It did nothing for me... but that doesnt mean it wont help you tho, i think if you can do it, then give it a go, anythings worth a try, thats what i think anyway???

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

Hi Jgirl,i have tried hypnosis on many occasions,now it hasn't at all cured me, like these hypnosis say it can.but it was great for relaxation and i did feel great after having the treatment,as in positive and my energy level was great but i personally don't think that u can be cured but like sage says i haven't seen any survey on it so it's hard to tell,it might have just not worked for the few that respond.....But i know it's an expensive thing to do and what i would suggest is ,go through your Doctorand go along to some relaxation classes and stress management,these are the similar things to what happens when u areunder hypnosis,well i felt that way,u might want to join a yoga or Pilate's class as u will probably get more out of that then anything else.....Anyway i hope i have helped and not made u even more confused,take care and what ever u choose to do,good luck

Vicky x

Ialso went through a course of hypnotherapy on the understanding that I would be completely cured - if I knew then what I know now, I'd be much better off! It was a load of rubbish...
    Nikki

Jessica,

You're on the right track - keep going! Everyone manifests the disorder differently, so my progress would not necessarily be an indicator of how long it would take someone else. I did a short course of treatment 20 years ago or so that "cured me" of the fear of vomiting myself - it was CBT/exposure. It also gave me some coping skills and confidence to have children. It wasn't a cure, but it sure helped. Over the years, the fear of me being sick faded away and I lived a normal life as long as no one else was sick around me. But that got to be ridiculous. When I WAS near a sick person I was so freaked out it wasn't funny.

10 years agoI did 2 years of psychotherapy addressing my past and my other issues (not the phobia). But this really helped to build a foundation of a strong sense of "self" when I finally addressed the phobia. I went for various counselling on and off over the next 8 years, trying to find someone who could address the phobia. Even though they couldn't (which was frustrating), they helped me in other ways and this continued to build a strong foundation.

Finally, about 2 years ago I went for intensive treatment which was once a week. After a year of this, which included EMDR as well as gradual exposure (and a LOT ) of work on my own throughout the week, I was "successfully treated". It is now a year and a half since then - I go to a different therapist weekly still, and I just keep getting better and better. I faced and worked through many MANY issues in my life and in my past, and found how they all hooked into the phobia.

I plan to keep going. I enjoy it, it helps me in all areas of my life like my work, my marriage, relationships with my kids, etc. Also I believe in just continuing to grow as a person. And face it, I'm scared that one day the phobia might come back...although now I understand it can't just "pop back" at the level it once was, I know if the stress level goes up I may start to get afraid again. But it could only be for 6 days, cuz then I'd be right back at the therapist and work through it.

I know this kind of expense is impossible for most people on this board - and elsewhere - and in that I am very blessed. But really, it should not take 20 years nor a ton of money to get major symptom relief...then find some sort of "maintenance program" that will ensure you're ok.

Hopefully this is inspirational, rather than discouraging!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.