Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Okay right i'm not going to start this story unless you;re sure you can cope. If anyone is like me and loves the cinema, but can't cope with a vomit related story about it that happened to me tonight, don't read any further

*****GRAPHIC*****

Okay, well me, my mum and sister decided to go and see "wimbledon" tonight because we all had nothing major to do tonight and thought we deserved a night out. So anyone, usual routine took place at cinema, drinks, big tub of sweets etc. etc. We went into the screen and it was one of those massive ones. I hung behind my mum and sister because i knew there were some people coming through with a load of food and stuff and knew they'd find it hard to open the door so I did the polite thing and held it open for them. So anyway, i'd done that and gone to catch up with my mum and sister and we sat down. About a minute later, i saw someone three rows and across the aisle behind me had spilt their drink.The kid was cryingso he was obviously embarassed. But anyway, my mum and sis turned around and then turned back and looked at me. And i was like "What?" And my mum said, "Don't panic but that kid a couple of rows behing has just been sick." So i looked behind and the kid was retching andpuking on his lap. I immediately turned awayback to the screen. And then he began to retch really loudly and i was like "Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!" My mum asked me if i was okay. I said I was fine and would be okay after a minute. And i was telling the truth then, i was panicing like crazy but i was coping and staying in the situation which was good. So anyway, the mum took the kid out of the screen obviously to get cleaned up. I then got a closer look at him and realised those two were the people i held the door open for and the kid who (I THOUGHT) had spilthis drink (obviously not!) But anyway, i just said to my mum "Im okay dont worry" and i just thought "Hey, How could the situation get any worse? and ive coped so far. I havent even left my seat - wayhey!" But oh yes it could get worse. Not only did the kid and his mum come back into the cinema when the trailers were going...the kid sat directly behind me! He was wearing the same clothes as well and had gotten food from the foyer at the same time! UURGH! And the mother hadnt even got someone to clean up the mess that was on the seat he'd been sick on. How antisocial! -Sorry by the way i know im being really selfish here because its probably a million times worse for the kid who was sick- So I said to my mum, "Okay There is no way im having a potentially vomiting kid behind me. Im going to go out to the toilet and come back in. Try and find some seats where were not near that kid." So we did that.If that kid had been sick again whenhe was sitting behind me, it literally wouldve scared me. I would never have gone back to that cinema again...EVER! lol. Anyway, the kid wasnt sick again (Oh yeah, i could still see him from where i was sitting) So tonight i kinda coped but kinda didnt lol. I feel proud of myself anyway. (Pats himself on the back) lol.

By the way, "Wimbledon" is a good film. Recommend it!

Best Wishes, ChrisEdited by: party_boi3423
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just thought I would say well done for staying in there. I don't know if I could. The only way I deal with goign somewhere like the cinema is if I do not eat anything before I go and then if I am sick it does not matter (I have not been sick for over ten years).

Yeah its kinda like that for me. One of the places ive always feared is the cinema based on a vomit story when i was four years old which i wont get into now. Its really annying as well because im passionate about films and love watching them - Someone whos scared of the cinema and is a film fanatic (odd huh?) lol

Anyway, im off to bed - talk to yall tomorrow.

I agree. Its so great that you stayed in there. That is really good. And although you may be feeling a little traumatised now - I'm sure by tomorrow you'l feel alot calmer and see how brave you were! Thats awful about the mother that she didnt do anything about it, and that she came back into the cinima actually! I think its very wrong. Anway its great that you coped, and glad that it didnt ruin the film too much *wimbledon is a good film!

Chris u have done so well tonite u should be so proud of yourself,even thou u did feel pannicy u still stayed in the situation....and that is great,i really don't know how i would have coped,i think even a non emet would probably move if they new the kid had been sick as i'm sure they wouldn't want to be V*ted on......u have been doing so well latley and it's great to hear,from flying to malta and going on a boat to now being in such a difficult situation at the cinema....it's very rare to hear that someone has been sick in a cinema ,so i hope u tell yourself that u were just unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time......But i wish i could give u a hug as it's great to hear these big steps and achievments...

take care vicky xx

OMG! I couldn't have handled that at all. Good Job on staying through the movie. I would have ran out of the place screaming at the top of my lungs. That is so scary. *shudder* I can't believe that kid didn't leave. You should definantly be proud of yourself for staying.

Danielle

Wow I have *never* encountered a vomiting incident at a
    movie theatre but..... my gosh you handled that SO well! There is no
    way I would have been able to. Hey listen you are NOT selfish for
    feeling that way! I am the same as you in that respect, since I am so
    much more phobic of others being sick than I am of myself unless faced
    with the possibility, I would have felt the EXACT same way! You deserve
    credit for handling that well! Take care

Miriam

</font>

Nope. I just could not have done it. I woulda been outta there SO
    fast. Jumping over seats n causing a whole scene even bigger than
    the movie!
    Nice work though. It takes a lot to talk yourself through that. N
    please, if my kid were sick ANYWHERE, I would take them home so
    fast because that's just wrong. Obviously he needed to be taken care
    of.

Wow you did great, I wouldve freaked out, I remember driving somewhere, and a little girl walking down the street got sick, I had to pull over and freak out, I felt so bad because she was young, and I thought i should maybe help her.

I also remember myself being quite young and getting sick in a grocery store all over the gum, and they made my mom clean it up, my poor mommy.

I dont know what I will do if I have kids and they do something like that to me.

I give a big shout out to all you moms out there! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I would have left too. Why would they return to the theatre if he was sick? Honestly I don't get people.

.I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Thanks yall! Youve been great - you are all so supportive. God Bless yall.

Chris you are absolutely amazing. I will tell you now that there is no way in this world that I could have stayed. I would have bolted for sure. Your strength is so encouraging. I really hope you are proud of yourself for sticking that out. However, the mother should have had the sense to take the kid home. Doh! Some people just don't seem to have the brains they were born with!

Good job on handling it so well!!! I would not have stayed so good for you!!!

I just have to comment on the mom... WTF???? They didn't have the v* cleaned up AND he came back and sat with his v* clothes on?????? What is the matter with people??? OMG!!!! I had an experience like that while I was bowling one time... this kid was with his mom and he got sick all over the floor. They did let management know and got it cleaned up, but then the sick kid, ready to barf again any minute, had to stay there while the mom kept bowling!!!! People were telling her to go home with him but she didn't want to forfeit her game. Nice mom.... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

That literally makes me sick to my stomac.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Crazybeautiful - Same here. And it meant it was a waste of money for me, i'd brought a wow big drink and a huge tub of sweets and it so put me off my food!

Hi there. You handled that so nicely. I agree, how could they do that? That is one of the reasons I am scared to go to places like that. If I was in your position, I would have left the theatre screaming. So many of you handle these horrible situations than I could. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Blessings, Arcta

Good for you, that is a real triumph. I knew that if that was me (being in your position) then I would've freaked and not even have gone near the movie theatre in general again. I would have a whole great big phobia of movie theatres. Just like someone once v*ed in the grocery store so since then I've had a phobia of grocerey stores.

ANYWAY good job, chris. Good, good for you! =)

By the way, Wimbildon is an excelent movie!

Woo hoo [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]You were brilliant. I am not sure how I would have handled it. A while back I know I would have run from the theater not caring that I had paid for the tickets. I know that you handled very well and that is just awsome.
    I can't see how anyone would want to be in front of a kid that had just been ill. I would be leary of it happening again, which would make it hard to concentrate on the movie.
    It was just plain wrong of the mom to not clean up the floor or seat or at least have someone come in and do it.
    I know that I don't eat before I go to the theater, which has made it hard when Pete and I go on a date. He always wanted to take me to a nice dinner and then a movie. I always insisted on a movie THEN dinner (if he could actually get me to eat out far from home) which poor him made dinner at like 9 or later.

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Hey, party boy, in the UK don't they have an inclined floor? In USA if you spill something in the back of the theatere it will trickle down to the front row. I imagine the kids puke would have made it to your row! At least that's how it is out here.

You are soooo brave! Didn't the smell get to you? There is no way I would have stayed there. Irarely go to theatres anyway and when I do I make sure I have an aisle seat. Iwouldn'twantto sit right in the middle and shuffle over a bunch ofpeopleto run out of the exit.Once I was standing in line ina public restroom and I heard someone gagging in the stall and Ipractically ranover about 3 people to run out of the bathroom. I even bumped into a lady very hard and I know I hurt her. I can't stick around for that stuff. Good thing you did! That's a stepping stone for you

By the way... you said "i know im being really selfish here because its probably a million times worse for the kid who was sick". Well, that is not true because YOU are the one who has emet, not him. It was way worse for you than him. Don't think you are being selfish.

I can't believe his Mom didn't get someone to clean it up! Now everyone had to smell it? What's up with him not even changing his clothes? I would have burned mine. Take the kid home and give him a bath!

Monica

Maybe the kid just spilled? It was just a thought because I am sure the whole theater would have smelled like it?
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Dude I wouldve RAN SO FAST AS SOON AS I HEARD THE SOUND phew u
    are a brave man

That is great, you handled that so well. If that were me I would be out of there so fast and freaking out for the rest of the night. I am so proud of you!

Hi - I saw my post up here again and i thought that id comment on my progress since the cinema. Well there were two options: Face the fear and go back to the cinema, or just never go to the cinema again. May I mention that i go to the cinema at least twice a month - BIG MOVIE FAN HERE LOL! So i think the choice for me was obvious. At first i thought it wouldve been terrible if that had happened to me when i was with friends because i couldnt easily say to friends who know about my phobia "I need to move." In the past month, I have been to the cinema with my mum and my sister and the second time i went with 10 of my friends (Yeah im in a big group lol!) I feel so proud of myself. AND AND, I managed to eat a whole tub of popcorn. Usually a) I dont eat popcorn (due to an incedent at the cinema with it when i was young) or b) a whole tub of it. So I am ultra proud of myself!

Best Wishes, Christof

wow you've made such good progress. You took the right idea - to just try and beat this before you cant go to the cinima atall. It was an awful circumstance to be caught in, but you have done very well!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]Pat yourself on the back because I can barely sit through a film where someone v**** let alone someone in the actual theatre being sick. I'm jumping over seats and screaming bloody murder!! And then he sits BEHIND YOU there's no way. As soon as i realized that he was the kid sitting behind me if i hadn't run before I definately would have then...

CONGRATS your are a hero[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"When you\'re down to nothing...God is up to something\"

Oh, man alive. lol. That was really brave of you. Working at a night club where people retch every night (it's pretty pathetic) I've come a long way in dealing with vomit, but in the instance that you described- when you can actually HEAR it, and are within a room's distance, and witnessing it in its entirity- god, I still get panicky just reading about it.

I would've been outta that theatre in about 2 seconds flat- and lol, i would've been leaping over seats. Hell, I think I would've set the alarm off and ran out the emergency exit, just to avoid having to walk past it. *shudders*

reminds me of a bus incident, the whole "drink" spilling thing. Doesn't it just scare the wits out of you when you realize it's not really a drink spilling, but you know what? That pure dread, i just can't even describe the way it feels. Like a thousand pounds has just been heaped upon you. Like your heart is traveling a thousand miles an hour and all of a sudden it just hits a brick wall.

Kudos for you for staying tough, though! Proud of ya!

Well, I dunno what I would have done! I told myself I am going to be "accepting" next time I have to v. I feel like I am no longer scared to...but, who knows! I haven't been faced with any v situtaion yet. But that is good you sat through that!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Charlotte

Alymier I SOOOO know what you mean. I HATE that sounds on a bus or in the store or where ever for that matter. It sure feels great when you realize though that it isn't what we thought it was.

AND Party_boi WTG. Nothing like that even happened to me and I have a hard time sitting in the theater. When I go I HAVE to be in an isle seat and it can't be in the middle of the theatre it has to be on the side closest to the exit.

Don't you just hate it when parents put their own interests before their kids' health? OK, maybewe just hate it when parents put their own interests beforeour sanity.Several years ago I was swimming in a public pool, and a few yards away from me a dad was carrying his toddler though the water. With no warning whatsoever the kidv*ed over her dad's shoulder, right into the water. Oh, to have been an Olympic swimmer and gotten out of that pool in record time...I thought the parents would have the consideration to take the kid home. But no--during the rest period about fifteen minutes later I saw the dad buying junk food for the kid, and soon enough they were right back in the pool. Of course, I didn't dare to go back into the pool--I'm not even aware that any immediate efforts were made to clean it. As soon as I got home I took a long, intense shower, and I had to wash my bathing suit over and over before I'd dareto wear it again. Ugh.

This incidentwas before (and largelywhy) I started avoiding public swimming pools at all costs.

juliet, thats horrible! surely any father can summon the intelligence to realise that you do not give a child with an upset stomach, junk food.
    for god's sake, i bet that child was ill when she got home..and i hope the father had to tend to it[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]
    thats ridiculous though, i know that having an unwell child isn't the best situation to be in, but in the interest of everyone using that pool, they should have headed home, pronto.