Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi there. I have no idea what to say other than thank Heavens that I am not the only one who suffers from this awful phobia which afterall has a NAME. After reading so many stories and posts, I feel so not alone. I have to say that emetophobia has basically ruined my life. I am warning you, some of the things I am going to say may be graphic. I'll tell you about my awful experiences and how the phobia has affected me. Apparently the first time I had ever vomited was at age 5 aside from those times when I probably did as an infant. I clearly remember that night too. I was laying in bed, feeling just horrible and threw up all over my covers. I cried for my mother and as soon as she came into my room, she yelled at me to get off the bed. She had to replace the covers and clean everything up. Not at all supportive really because right after the mess was cleaned up, she ran out and ran back in with "the pan". She specifically pounded it into my head that if I needed to throw up again, to throw up in "the pan" which didn't end up happening anyway. Right after she dropped it off, she ran out of my room in a flash. But after that night, I always wanted "the pan" beside my bed because I was so afraid of that happening again. That had lasted for about a year. Then one time when I was 7 I was creating something with glue in my room. The glue had gotten onto my hands and I had to go wash them. The bathroom door always remained shut whether someone was using it or not but if it was used it was usually locked. The door wasn't locked that time. I went in there and saw something horrible. My mother was leaning over the toilet vomiting. I saw all of it and to this day can never get that awful image out of my head. Two weeks after that day, my half-brother was running up the stairs and he had thrown up on the top step. I was in my room at the time and I was so scared that I slammed my bedroom door with my ears covered. I was crying and couldn't stop. Then everytime I saw my mother or half-brother, the first thing I would ask was if they were going to throw up. They always got mad at me for asking that and my step-dad was the only one that kept reassuring me that no one was going to get sick. After time I saw he was right, I felt more comfortable being around them. The funny thing is, one time when I was 9, I threw up and was scared right before it had happened but was okay afterwards and became less phobic of it up until I had turned 16. I'll tell you what had happened when I was 16. On November 26th, 1989, the day after my 16th birthday in fact my mother and I went somewhere north of the city to go hiking. It was almost like an Indian-summer day, and it was on a Sunday. A perfect day to spend outdoors. Then around 5pm I started feeling *very* hungry and was ready to eat just about anything. My mom and I found a restaurant, still out in the sticks but it had a very unclean appearance. I didn't care, all I wanted to do was eat. I ordered a burger with french fries which I had basically wolfed down and had a chocolate eclair afterwards. About 40 minutes later, right before we had just gotten home, I started feeling like something was very wrong. I surprisingly wasnt all that nauseated but I felt like I was coming down with something strange. I became dizzy, lightheaded, had a horrible headache, was sweaty, became a little difficult to breathe, and my stomach did cramp but didn't feel like vomiting. However I completely freaked out and didn't know why I was feeling like this and it all came down on me fast. My mother was concerned what could have been wrong and phoned the hospital. She was on the phone with them for at least 5 minutes and my step-dad was with me trying to calm me down because I was really scared. I didn't think I was coming down with a virus, it didn't feel like that. Right after my mother had gotten off the phone with them, she said that they wanted me to be seen, then I was taken down. I was so scared and felt even worse that I was silent but the tears just kept on streaming down. There was a nurse and she led me into a

I didnt have the energy to read your whole post. Darn headaches. But I wanted to say welcome to the site. You are DEFINITELY not alone anymore. ((hugs))
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

i read your post.....i feel so bad for you! a lot of things have happened to me like that, so i hope you don't feel bad about yourself! i'm so glad you joined the site! i hope you find it both helpful and enjoyable!

I'm so sorry to hear all that. I've sent you an email, rather than
    posting a huge long thing here in the forums. Hang in there...

bekah

Wow

Firstly welcome to the site, and secondly I feel so much for you! The experience with the ipecac had me feeling scared for you. I cant imagine someone making me take that and then knowing what it was gonna do, that must have been such a traumatic experience. But I think you are a very ver brave person. You have gotten through many V* episodes and lived to tell us, not only that but you have brought a little girl into the world, thats amazing!

I hope you fnd soem information here that will help you deal with emet and at the very least some support.

xxxxxxxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I just read all of your post. I can tell from reading that you are in so much pain. I wish I had some magic words I could say to take your pain away but I don't. I'm here ANYTIME you need to talk. My screename is in my signature. ((hugs))

Take care of yourself and try to relax. It's easier said than done, I know, but try. We are here for you anytime you need us. ((hugs again))
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

WOW. i emailed you.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Arcta, my emet was triggered by ipecac too. I was given thatfoul stuff when I was 4 after taking my grandfather's pill thinking it was candy... it was scary. I am sorry for what you have gone through

Miriam

I just read your post and..wow...I'm so sorry that so much has happened to you. I wish i could tell you something to make everything betterbut...Icant really give advice [in fear that i might say something wrong. I'm a social phobic and cant stand ifi say somethingthatmight not beright]. I'm not good atit. Sorry!!!Well I'll sayWelcome to the site! I hope you find much support. Sorry i'm not much help here. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I appreciate all of your wonderful responses. Thank you. It is a nice feeling knowing that there are others out there that know where I am coming from. I know I should be seeking some help but I am so afraid.Are any of you currently in therapy? If so how is this treated?

Blessings, Arcta

Well i havent had any therapy but i heard that people usually do CBT- Congnitive Behavior Therapy
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Welcome to IES!

I just finished reading throught the whole post. Wow. I've never had an experience with ipecac, but my parents sometimes threaten me with it (they're convinced it will cure me, or whatever) Anyways, I had an experience sort of like your mall one. I was walkingto a college football game,just 3 weeks ago, and I was really dehydrated, hadn't eaten in ages, and I felt really sick. My mom had made me go to the game, despite me pleading to stay home because I was afraid I would get sick. I vrought a bag with me just in case. Anyways, about half way there, in the street with hundreds of other people walking there, I nearly threw up (retched twice, but nothing came up) But yeah, throwing up in public is very very scary.
    -Anna

Hey...I emailed you, if you have any more questions about anything (jncluding therapy) just ask!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Arcta I just started therapy. I have just finished being
    assessed and next Friday I see him again and he plans to get to the
    nitty gritty of things. He plans to do cognitive behavioral therapy. I
    hope it works and I have heard some positive things about it. I
    strongly suggest you find a therapist that can help you. You may want
    to get a referral or something from your family dr. My stress
    management counsellor gave me the name of the one I am seeing and I
    have a good feeling that he will help me.

Miriam

</font>

Does this kind of therapy also involve exposure? I am not ready for any of that if so. Please let me know.

Blessings, Arcta

my word.... just wanna say no wonder u have a phobia... all tht exposure to v* wud be enough to shake anyone up!

im sorry that this has happened to you -- but welcome to our family.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you Jen, thank you to everyone who welcomed me very warmly with open arms. Its a nice feeling that I am not alone with this afterall.

Blessings, Arcta

I read your whole post, although I dont think I have it as bad as you do I feel your pain. Also i dont know if its the same stuff but when(i think)i was about 2i ate some ant poison and i was taken to the doctor and given some stuff to make me vomit it, i guess at least it was for a very good reason and i dont remember it.

CBT does not involve exposure therapy. I strongly advise you to find a therapist who specializes in anxiety and phobias as quickly as you can....I feel just awful for you, and for your daughter. I am also a mother of a 5 year-old and am due with my 2nd in 3 weeks....if it wasn't for therapy (and Celexa for about a year of the therapy) there is no way I would be coping and as functional as I am now. I have been as badly off as you and I now lead a fulfilling and good life, not completely free of the fear but not even slightly ruled by it.

Where in Canada are you? I am in Toronto and may be able to help you find someone to talk to if you are nearby.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

haha sorry this is random but Hannah -- i love ur new avatar!! =D

Jen xx

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks again for the warmth. I def. need it and its nice to know that I have found a place filled with supportive people.

Blessings, Arcta

Hi Arcta,

I just read your story - wow, was that ever dramatic...oh my gosh I feel so sorry for you. What terrible experiences you've had. No wonder you're phobic, and no wonder it's getting worse. Therapy will definitely help you, but you must be very careful to choose exactly the right therapist. Treatment may eventually involve exposure (the "behavioral" part of "cognitive behavioral") but no decent therapist would ever ever suggest such a thing unless you completely agreed to it. Even then, the first "exposure" would be like - a picture of a stick man with a pencil line drawn coming out of his mouth...that kind of thing.

Check out the stuff I've written on the top of the "treatments" thread - on how to choose a therapist, information for professionals, and the other links. If you're in the Vancouver area you can contact me and I'll meet with you and set you up with someone...otherwise there's a lot of good help available in Canada - even if you have no money. Let me know - the best way to contact me or ask me a specific question is through a private message on this site.

All the best - and welcome to the board!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Sage, I am in the Toronto area. I thinkI could handle drawing a stick coming out of a stick-man's mouth [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Anything beyond that- not too sure. I am most definitely going to check out your articles. Thank you for your help.

Blessings, Arcta

Cool - I'll be travelling to Toronto on business 3 times in the next year. We'll have to arrange a meet-up.

If you can afford a good clinical psychologist ($140/hour - Canadian$) that's the way to go...remember treatment may take at least 50 hours. But even if you haven't got a dime, there are psychiatrists who do psychotherapy (free in Canada), but you have to REALLY shop for them.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.