Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Which type Emet are you?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fear of myself throwing up

11 17.74%
  • Fear of others throwing up

0 0%
  • Both

51 82.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Emet Types

I voted Both becauseI do fear doing it myself especially in public or in front of people...But really I fear others doing it more than anything. I have my most severe panic attacks at the mere thought of someone doing it in front of me. And I don't fear others doing it because I think they are contagious (except those that I know or think have a stomache bug, then I worry about "catching it") I freak at drunk people throwing up, people throwing up because they overeat, people throwing up from motion sickness etc. I just freak, I know damn well I'm not going to catch it from someone who is throwing up because they drank too much kwim? I just freak...Edited by: hethmares

Both...but I panic more when someone else is sick...cos once I am sick...there is really not much I can do...and it's kind of hard to panic when you are actually doing the deed.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

i find it immensely EASY to totally freak out while doing the deed. i don't care if others are sick. unless they are going to make me sick. i live and breathe to make sure i am not sick! ever!
    elizabeth

both -- but i fear myself doing it WAY more..

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah I'm with elizabeth on this one. I have my worst panic
    attacks when I know "it's" coming. Sitting there with a bucket in
    front of me, breathing deep, swallowing over and over, trying to stop
    it from happening. My head breaks out in a cold sweat, my palms
    sweat, I start to shake, it's awful. I get very freaked out when
    others around me get sick but nothing brings out the panic compared to
    being right on the edge myself.

I don't fear getting sick in front of others though. In fact I
    prefer not to be alone. The last time I had a stomach bug it was
    like 1am and I yelled upstairs until my wife woke up and came down to
    be by my side. It helps me relax to have her with me.

I want to say that my fear of v* myself is slightly less than seeing others v*. I am afraid of both but I feel like I have more control over my own body. I know when it is going to happen and I know when it is done. Where as with other people I never know what is coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <font color=Blue>Carly --Check out my site---
    you are on MySpace let me know and I will add you as my friend</font>

i am afraid of both, i think im afraid of others getting sick around me because im afraid it will get me sick...i start panicing when someone even says they have a stomach ache or somthing

Sparks X_X

Both, but mostly myself. I'd be lying if i said that others being sick don't affect me, because it does! i just don't like the feeling of being sick myself [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Defietly both, and i think they're actually pretty equal! I have huge panic attacks with both.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Yup, deff both. I agree with you, Anya, one's as terrible as the other!

I fear both ALOT, but like Jennah said, myself waaaaaaay more.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I fear both, but I really panic more about other people. It's almost like a control thing. I can't control where other people go or how clean they are or where they're going to v*. I do often wonder if I fear others being sick because I'm afraid they'll infect me, thus in reality, it all boils down to a fear of myself being sick. I don't know.... but I freak out if someone even just doesn't look right.

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Both!!!! But me more!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Charlotte

Both for me,....but I am definitely more afraid of doing it myself than seeing someone else.

It's funny...cos you would think the reason I am phobic about others doing it is that I am afraid I will catch it. But...I am just as scared when I am around someone who is doing it from drinking and I know it's not contagious. But...hmmm...if I know someone is in the bathroom getting sick from drinking...as long as I can't hear it...I am okay...but if I know someone is in the bathroom getting sick with a stomach bug...even if I can't hear it...I still freak cos I am afraid I will get it. So...yeah...maybe I fear myself being sick more. It's just that when I actually have to vomit...and end up doing it...which hasn't been in forever...the panic goes away once I start. But I am still terrified before it happens for that first time. God...this phobia is frustrating. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Both for me, the panic attacks begin when I am around someone who is sick, being afraid in public if someone is sick, and if I am feeling sick the panic starts and becomes so bad, hard to control at times. I need to be alone, no one can be around me at all.

I chose Fear of myself throwing up only, because the only reason other people vomiting bothers me is the possibility that it might make me sick. I can watch vomit on the the TV, or hear my friends in America talk about it because I know I'm not going to be physically affected by it.
    Hard Normal Daddy

I fear others mainly. I startedout just fearing other v* - I only developed a fear of myself in the last 4 years. I'm not sure which way to vote!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I voted scared of myself because that is it for me 100%. I am not afraid of Ving or V itself but me doing it in front of other people, I have not come across many others who share my fears exactly so if anyone who reads this does empathise please get in touch. Matt x [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I only fear myself doing "it." It doesnt really bother me to see, or hear other people do "it." I only really get scared when I know that the "v" stuff is caused by something contagious.

I would say the same exact thing as sweetfreak. I Don't like it when people vomit and I can hear them, but if they are in the bathroom, and they are just sick because, then I don't care that much, but if they are sick because of the flu, then I definilty freak out. I mostly fear others being sick, because you never know when it will happen. At least you can sort of control yourself vomiting, and you know when it might happen. I really can't stand the sound, it's the sound that scares me.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>

Both, but more me than others.

In the case of potentially sick people
    in my presence, I realize that in most instances nothing about them
    or their illness will cause me to become ill. In fact, it usually
    doesn't even enter my mind that the illness will somehow
    miraculously</span> spread to me. Yet, there is
    something indefinably alarming about people about to be sick around
    me, though I don't (quite) get full blown panic attacks just from
    being around sick people.

The idea of doing it myself is a whole different world of horror, of course...

We have art that we do not die of the truth.
    -- Nietzsche

completely agree with tomvickery- the only time i fear others is if im worried it's contagious. Also, like dravis-- I'm terrified to v* alone. I haven't done it in 10 years, but any time i'm panicking and thinking it's going to happen, I HAVE to have my sister or my boyfriend with me. not sure why that is. maybe b/c our parents were always there to comfort us when we were little? not sure.