Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Does anyone else feel safest while in their own home? I feel out
    of my "comfort zone" anywhere else. I worry so often that I'm
    gonna be sick, I can't go anywhere. The second my stomache feels
    even a bit "not normal" I freak, and need to leave ASAP. It can
    be quite annoying. I also always have to drive, or take a
    seperate car...just in case. Anyone else? Just
    wondering........Carrie

I used to feel like that before I started taking anti depressants. I've been on them for 10 years now.

Sometimes I feel queasy in restaurants because I worry that someone will get sick, but I try to concentrate on my food.

Before I took med's..you wouldn't believe how sick I felt in a crowded
    building such as the mall. I remember running out of there from
    nauseousness and panic. I felt like I was choking and
    couldn't breathe

I don't like being in cars when I'm not driving. I just get very
    nervous and wonder if I'll get carsick or they will. I'm constantly
    looking around making sure everyone is okay.

I don't think you or I are freaks. I think everyone in the whole
    world has some quirk, be it, phobia, self-esteem, disabilities,
    selfishness, racist issues, ect.

SEE, we're a whole world of FREAKS[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

You take one day at a time K?

Renee

</font>

Yes i think we can all identify with that...yes "comfort zone" is the term my sister and i use as well. I feel good at home or at school in my room there....it is VERY frustrating to not be able to do things that other people can. I am not as bad with the car thing as my sister (redapple) is. but I still hate it. It's awful because i would love to travel more.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    DO IT TREMBLING IF YOU MUST,
    BUT DO IT!! -unknown

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. -dr wayne dyer

Thank-you. It's great to be able to write and not be judged for what I'm feelng. I'm truly NOT ALONE.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Carrie

</span>

Carrie

TOTALLY understand. I am exactly the same. If me and my boyfriend have arranged a night out or something, at the last minute I'll say something like "Oo, there's a good film on tonight so how about a takeaway at home instead.." trying to make it sound like a great idea but he just grins and says "Don't want to leave your comfort zone tonight huh?"

He's great! Which helps.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

hey,i know exactly where you're coming from. i dread my music lessons,and never eat an hour before i leave the house.. im paranoid!
    I can't eat a "meal" before i go out either, just incase i start to feel funky in the evening,which is usually inevitable anyway..
    i dont feel safe around food

I feel this way also. I feel safer at home, or at my boyfriend's house than anywhere else. Mostly at his house, probably because I've never had an emet experience there, yet. I too, like to take a seperate car, especially when i go out to the club, or to a bar with friends, which rarely happens. I always say that I'll want to go home early because i'm tired or something, but really it's because I'm scared of someone vomiting at the club, or bar, which has happened to me before, and i ran out of there. I am so afraid to use the restrooms when I go out to a bar or club because I'm afraid that someone it going to run in there vomiting because they are so drunk, and it's totally quiet in there so you can hear everything, thats the worst.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Being afraid of leaving your home is actually called agoraphobia. And I can totally commiserate. I have been emetophobic for basically my whole life and agoraphobic on and off for about 14 years.

Anna

I am also agoraphobic. I was diagnosed agoraphobic 7 years before
    I found out what was really causing it. My house and car are my
    "comfort zones".

know exactly where you're coming from roxi. i don't really like doing anything-- going out to dinner, seeing a movie, going to a bar or to the mall-- unless it's one of my rare, good days when I actually feel like a normal person.my boyfriend is basically a homebody, which is a blessing- if he wasnt, surely i would bore him to death.

texas- i HATE being in cars. sometimes it helps if i'm driving, but not always. i hate being in any situation that i can't just get up and walk out a nearby exit. my worst panic attacks have been in cars, but it's also bad sometimes in the mall or in class. can i ask what medication has helped you?

you're definitely not alone roxi! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

i feel exactly the same way, Carrie. Last night i thought i was most defnintely going to be sick. my boyfriend was trying to get me out of my house before my parents came home b./c i left thanksgiving dinner early. you all are probably aware of my situation at home with my mother, and my boyfriend was afraid. he wanted just to go to his house and then he would take care of me. i wouldnt go b/c i was afraid of getting sick in his house or car on the way there. he even said it would be ok, his father is a doctor and his mother is a nurse, but i still wouldnt go. after i medicine and felt better, i was able to go, but nopt while i was sick feeling-no way-no how.

I didn't even make it to my parent's house for Thanksgiving. Too
    many people. Around 5, my boyfriend finally got me to leave the
    house and go his mom's. I took a xanax and felt "safer" about
    leaving. Thank godness for understanding boyfriends.[img]smileys/smilies_46.gif[/img]

My "safe zone" is also my room, my bed to be specific. hehe. But i do love to go out although the emet prevents me at times. If i'm feeling sick then nope i'm not going out! Although last night i made myself go. My dad was taking my friend, male cousin and uncle home and i didnt want her to feel uncomfortable with my family all by herself so i went with her. I was feeling sick but i'm so thankful i survived.i even sat in the back so my uncle can sit in the front! [I usually demand the front seat and make my mommy go in the back lol]
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Roxi-----I second that....Thank god for understanding boyfriends....

i would probably never leave the house ito do asnything fun if it wasnt for him

Oh, Rachel, I ahve the exact same fear about restrooms in clubs, bars, etc. I am so afraid to even go in afraid that someone is being sick from drinking to much. And then I am afraid while i am sitting their someone will run and and be sick. If i REALLY have to go I make it SOOOOO fast.