Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How can I calm myself down?

When I feel ill I start to panic and work myself up into such a state that I shiver and get cold sweats. I try to take deep breaths to calm myself down but it doesn't work. Are there any remedies that anyone can suggest to help me?

Default Re: How can I calm myself down?

i take a hot shower...it works everytime for me..wash my hair, shave my legs etc...a nice long one...

thank you i will try that next time

shower idea sounds great.......but if i'm not home i pinch myself......i'm sure it's not the best idea.....but the pain from it distracts me from the panic.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

okay i'll try pinching myself as well

Be careful with the pinching thing. When I was 9 I started pinching myself and now I'm 23 and when I panic I scratch my legs until they are bloody and just really torn up. And I pull out my hair and dig my nails into wherever I feel is inconspicuous. So just be careful. It started off for me that the pain of pinching was helping me come back to reality but it ended badly and I can't stop. My legs look awful For a lot of people, breathing techniques is where it is at. I've had panic so severe for so long and have been so reliant on meds for so long that they don't have as much effect of me but they have proven to be very helpful for most people. Most common one to start with is try doubling your exhale. Breathe in for about 4 counts (slowly) and out for 8 counts (slowly). Keep concentrating on it, it's harder than you would think but ultimately effective You are tricking your brain into thinking your ok (which is great because for the most part you really are ok, you just can't tell). Hyperventilation is the best way to feed a panic attack so breathing right is the best way to counter attack There are many more breathing techniques so if this one doesn't appeal to you just google breathing techniques for panic attacks.

My husband used to go to therapy for his anxiety and he told me to take a rubber band on your wrist and snap it, the slight pain will distract you. I've never tried it, b/c for me I know that going on the internet, or looking at pictures helps me, it for some reason calms me down.

I agree with the rubber band trick. That also works for negative thinking while we are in our panic mode.

I Have been using breathing exercises to use as a distracting method. Try Breathing in through your nose and pushing your stomach out at the same time. Hold for a few seconds then release your breath through your mouth slowly like a big sigh. I find the more I concentrate on how many seconds I am breathing, holding etc distratcts from what I am panicing about! After a few attempts I get that really nice relief feeling. The best feeling in the world to me! Hope this helps hun! x

I know it sounds wierd but I do some sort of art by doodling in books and stuff... like last year on holiday, I got so anxious at the restraunt that I decorated my plate with my food as I was too anxious to eat it... and if Im at school, Ill doodle all over my books, it keeps my mind preocupied and lets the anxiety wear off. Although if I get really anxious I start pinching the skin on my hand to get the anxiety out, I don't think this is healthy though x
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What I wouldn't do to have the answer to this! I've tried pinching myself, scratching, breathing, counting, rubbing my hands, everything...truly. I haven't tried the rubber band yet, and you can bet I will be trying that tomorrow!!!

My problem is not so much the home setting, it's the public setting, especially in corporate meetings, etc, when I can't just get up and leave 100 times like I would want to. UGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, I use breathing techniques. Other times, I'll tug a strand of hair. The stinging sensation is usually enough to snap me out of that panic mode... *if* I catch myself before it's full-on.

I fill a plastic baggie with ice and hold it. I use to scratch and pinch but it got really bad, so I started using ice! Holding a baggie that's so cold almost totally takes my mind off of any anxiety.

Have you tried listening to relaxing music like New Age? It's very soothing and it can calm you down. I also keep a glass of water because for some reason when I drink cold water, it seems to help out a little bit or just make the room a little cooler. Chewing peppermint gum might help out too and if the unfortunate happens, then at least the water and gum should help get rid of the taste. These are a few methods that I have used over the years and they do help me out, I hope they can help you out too.

Try Mentos they help me alot when im having a panick attack.

Ditto to everyone. I'm not going to endorse hurting yourself to distract from pain just because I have something along the lines of dermatillomania (OCD skin picking) and I hate the fact that any kind of stress/panic makes me want to pick and scan my skin for blemishes/scabs/dry spots/ anything I can pick or scratch off and because of this I have scars all over my legs, chest and shoulders.

Mint things work VERY well for me, but I find the most helpful is liquid mint Maalox. I take a drink of it then smell the open bottle very slowly with my eyes closed. I also find that sitting on my computer and typing out how I'm feeling helps a lot. I don't do it, normally, in a public way. Just open up a blank notepad document and let it all out that way.

There is no "quick fix" for anxiety or panic attacks. But the "slow fix" is to learn how to do deep abdominal breathing and full-body relaxation...to practice it with the veracity of an Olympic athlete or a concert pianist. Once you get really, really good at it then you can "call on" this tool at any time and you will find great peace and joy. It takes months, maybe even a year or two of practicing it daily. But then again....what are you waiting for?

Distraction methods may work short-term but not in the long haul. And the pinching/scratching/rubber band stuff does not actually address the anxiety which is rooted deep in the body. Abdominal breathing and relaxation does.

I'm a fan...as you can tell.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Deep Breathing, Abdominal Breathing, Relaxing Breathing, the key is in controlling your breathing. I actually have a thread about it in my sig. It really helps so much. The trick is to learn your relaxing breath pattern while you're calm, so you can apply it when you're nervous.

You may find these links helpful!

Red face Re: How can I calm myself down?

You know what i do sometimes ... I grab word find magazines or coloring books they take my mind off anxiety

Breathing works for me, and sometimes saying things like "I am okay" out loud help, too. I also chew mint gum or suck on a cough drop.

If someone else is there with me, I like to talk a lot. When I have panic attacks, I just start ranting about everything and tell them that I'll be fine, I make jokes too. I love to have a warm blanket- a shower is great too and watch an episode of something.

*Hey Steam Powered Giraffe fan, I share your love, they are awesome XD*

Listen to music BwB, find a relaxing song and listen to it.

I listen to 'Brass Goggles-Steam Powered Giraffe' sometimes