Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New to Board

Default New to Board

Hello all...
    I am new here but not new to emet.
    I have had this horrible fear ever since I can remember.
    I have tried everything...The Lucinda Bassett audio tapes, books,
    hypnosis, therapy and medication. I also suffer from IBS probably
    due to my anxiety and fear..I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning about other people that have the same phobia as I. I am from Mississippi and its almost unheard of down here..Where is everyone else from?

Default Re: New to Board

welcome to the forum........hope you find some help here with how to deal with this stupid emet. i'm not cured by any means but have learned alot in here that has lessened my anxiety tremendously.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome to the boards!
    And I live in Idaho, I totally understand the 'unheard of here' thing.
    Just remember to breath....

I think it's pretty much unheard of everywhere. I have never met anyone who's heard of it except for one scammy hypnotist. And this is including dozens of psychologists and psychchiatrists.

My advice to you is to purchase and read books on anxiety disorders and IBS. I was convinced for so long that I had IBS and that it was just the way I was. After reading a decent book on IBS, I realized that I did not meet all the criteria for it. The book, when listing symptoms, even recommended reading about anxiety disorders so I did. All the research indicates that IBS can be misdiagnosed in place of anxiety. You see, anxiety causes us to experience IBS-like symptoms because each time we fear, our horomones send burst of adrenaline, and the effects of the adrenaline can cause us to sweat, have dry mouth, shake, and feel N*. i am not a doctor so do not take this as medical advice but as a little assitance in doing some research on all this stuff. Hope this helps.

Im kinda new also. Its been so refreshing to read other people have the same or similar fears and worries as me. Even though my own mother has has this phobia most of her life, and she is in her early 70's now, Ive always felt it was just a stupid irrational quirk that was somehow hereditary, even though my older sister and father never had any problem. It wasnt until a few years ago when I read a magazine article about someone with emet that I realised IT had a name. Although it doesnt cure you this forum does help you feel understood and can give you advice etc.