Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Whenever I feel nauseas like I might V I start to feel really sad and depressed. I don't want to talk to anyone when I feel sick and I start feeling really emotional over everything.It's a really weird feeling. It's a feeling that I only get when I might V. It's a terrible, terrible feeling. For example whenIcatch the stomach flu and I know I will end up V*ing I start to feel this way. It feels like the world is going to end! Does anyone know what this is or if there is a way to cope with it?

Another question I want to ask you all (because only emets would ask this or have an answer to it) is about the stomach flu. I was sick with V*ing about three months ago. Does this mean I wont be sick V*ing anymore this year? I heard that once you catch a virus like that than you develop an immunity to it. I just want to put my mind at ease when it comes to catching things that make you V. Maybe I'll feel better if I know I wont be sick again for a while. What have you heard about this?

I am really phobic of catching viruses that make you V. This I just can't handle. Please help me to cope with this or give me words of encouragement! Thanks!

What's wrong with me!!

~Amy

I honestly don't know. But trust me there is nothing wrong with worrying that you might get ill. I don't know about the immunity thing but the odds of getting a v**** disease twice in one year are very low. Don't worry. HUG HUG HUG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <font color=BLUE>I LOVE TO LAUGH!</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

did you mean to post that in these boards?

anyway, wen i feel ill i CANT tlk to neone, i cant open my mouth for some reason. i get really depressed and agitated. its horrible.

Jen xxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

i am afraid to open my mouth too. i was ill with the stomach flu a while ago and im afraidim gonna catch it again. i dunno if u develop an immunity to it. i get really phobic in the winter about catching viruses that make u V- so i hope u do. last time i got the flu was 9 years b4 the last one. so maybe. i knw it does feel like the worlds going to end. it really bad when u cant get to slep either. i just read or watch a movie and try to get sucked into that world since this one is just a a heckhole. when i feel like im goin to V- or if someone else does. thats all i can think about and i want to cry and stuff.i know what u mean but i don know if its normal or not.
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

I feel like I could have written those exact words you all wrote. I do the same thing. I think that my major depression 2 winters ago started because of my husband catching a bug. I felt like the world was going to end. I had my first panic attack and it was just horrible. I don't know about the immunity thing, but I know of a few on here who've v*d more than once in a year. I would think your body would be a little immune to another virus for a while after any sickness, but that's a question I can't answer.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

panic attacks are the worst! do u get nauseous?

Quote Originally Posted by jaksparowsemet
    panic attacks are the worst! do u get nauseous?

Yes, I also feelnauseous when I have a panick attack. I think it's just the fear of being sick that makes me "feel" sick. It's weird.

same here butthats the most prominent symptom.

I get really depressed about it too...when someone I know gets sick I pretty much just shut down. I don't want to do anything except for cry or sit around. I feel like I already have the bug and I have a 2 week period where I just worry until I'm sure I won't get it.

You do not get immune from being sick unfortunately, but in reality, v*ing sicknesses don't come around that often. My therapist told me to measure up all the hundreds of days a year where I am not sick against the1 or 2 days I have been sick in years. It's at least a little comfort.
    -&lt;-(@
    Kira
    -&lt;-(@

Thanks guys all of this really helped me![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

~Amy

I agree, it's very, very rare to catch a v* bug more than once a year. In fact, I haven't had one since 1994. I've been exposed to plenty of them, and have v* due to other things, but not from that. I really think colds are more easily transmissable, maybe b/c people with colds still walk around and do stuff, and people with the *other* bug stay at home.

I almost GUARANTEE that you won't catch one of those for a long time!! And besides, it's springtime now, and I can't EVER remember having one of those bugs any other time but winter.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    So take a deep breath and count back from ten, and maybe you\'ll be all right.

-Liz Phair

One thing about the "stomach flu" is that the bug has to enter through the mouth and the virus isn't airborne. My suggestions to avoid catching it would be to always wash your hands before eating.

In response to the depression that accompanies v*ing... I feel the same way. I think that it is connected to the intense anxiety that accompanies nausea in emets. I know I feel out of control and I also don't generally feel well, obviously. I think that even non-emets feel at least a little depressed when they are ill because no one really enjoys being sick. [img]smileys/smilies_40.gif[/img]
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.