Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Hands are bleeding..

All I do is wash my hands like crazy even in my own home cause i feel like when i go to school or out..germs like sv* will get on my shoes and clothes and i will spread the germs at home..

my hands are cracked and bleeding and burn when i wash them...i know i only should wash my hands before touching my face or eating..but i do that a lot..

Default Re: Hands are bleeding..

I do too. My hands bleed and crack at the knuckles and it doesn't feel very good. Just use some intense moisturizer and try to refrain from washing so much. I know it can be tough cause it's like a form of OCD and for me I feel like I need every little reason to wash with my 3 year old running around.

Washing your hands until they bleed just leaves you open to get more infections, and really doesn't benefit you at all. Being overly sterile gives your immune system nothing to practice on, rendering it less effective when it does actually have germs to fight off. I know it's hard but you have to consider that washing your hands to that extreme isn't rational or helpful! Gold bond makes a moisturizer with hand sanitizer in it. Maybe try that as a step down to less hand sanitation! At least it should help with the cracking.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Wargerbil is absolutely right.

I weaned myself off of washing my hands a gazillion times a day until they bled by wearing latex gloves for certain things. For example, to take out the garbage or open the mail. I would then just throw away the gloves instead of washing my hands. Eventually I stopped wearing the gloves and only wash my hands when necessary - ie before I eat, after using the bathroom, and when they're dirty.

Mine are the exact same way right now...normally they are nice and smooth.. but ever since my boyfriend got sick 3 weeks ago, I have been handwashing 10 x more than usual. Everything I touch...right before I eat. After I touch ANYTHING it seems. It is getting really bad!

if you're in the US you can buy a lotion called gold bond sanitizing lotion.........it kills the noro virus germs....contains that benzothonium chloride (sp). it will keep your hands from drying out and cracking......i found it at walmart and walgreens......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oooh thanks Olschesky....I was wondering if it really did kill the noro.