Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy will i catch sv*! I need reassurance..

My friend got over sv* yesterday but she didnt tell me she had it and today at school she hugged me and I asked her where she was yesterday and she said she had sv*! I am so fearful I am going to catch it because I was so close to her and I was touching her then my face...I feel really stupid and lost.

I read that sv* is only passable through air when you are by the person who has v* or if you come in contact DIRECTLY with the person..what does that mean!

Default Re: will i catch sv*! I need reassurance..

You can only catch it through the air if she vomits right next to you and it becomes temporarily aerosolized. Just wash your hands and your clothes and you should be fine. If she's showered since yesterday (which most people would after an illness) it's unlikely she has the virus on her. Norovirus isn't as contagious as the CDC makes it out to be.

I was around my friend yesterday who had the sv* 6 days ago and decided that I wasn't going to worry about getting sick from her. Well she just called me and said her live in boyfriend now has it!!! Is she still contagious!? I read that people can be contagious for up to 2 weeks after symptoms...PLEASE HELP!! Me having a sv* 4 months ago is what started my emet and just when I thought I was getting better this had to happen....do you think I'll get it?! I worked with her yesterday for 6 hours, then I'll be with her again tomorrow and friday for 2 more 6 hour days =(

Oh you had it this year already? Then you're most likely immune. It's like influenza, only one or two strains go around in any given year. Have you ever known someone to get influenza twice even after being around sick people a lot? It just doesn't happen. Plus contagious with noro isn't the same as contagious with flu. It's not spread by breathing it in or simply being around the person. Just don't kiss her/lick her or share drinks/food. Also avoid touching your face, and wash your hands. The reason people are considered so contagious is because a lot of people assume after the barfing stops, the person isn't contagious and then they share a soda. Or share a keyboard then unconsciously bite their nails. Just avoid that sort of thing and you won't catch it.

Well yesterday I made sure not to share drinks or food or anything with her. We use the same pens and notebooks though (we're dance teachers) and at the beginning of the night I'd get a new pen if she used mine but she continued to keep using whatever pen she grabbed. I've tried to explain to her how scared I am of catching noro again and she just laughs at me and doesn't take me seriously. I finally just gave in and started using the pens that she used but tried to not touch my face or anything. I might have touched my face and not realized it but I don't know. I heard that there are many different strands of noro....where did you see that there are only one or two? If that's the case I'll feel a whole lot better. I just really don't want to have to worry about getting the darn sv* again this year.

Now I don't want to eat or anything.....AHHH!!

Eat! You'll feel better. Not eating won't make anything better. Wash your hands, then eat. And yes, there are many strains of noro. But just like the flu only one or two go around in any given year. I heard that from the people who are making the vaccine for noro. They can predict which strains it will be.

Not eating will make you feel s*!