Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I am new

Default I am new

Hi, I am new to this site, I have been an enet since I can remember. I am 30 years old and have to children. We all had a sv about 5 weeks ago, I was the only one who did not v*, but I am still scared that my 6 year old is going to catch it at school again and spread it again.

Default Re: I am new

I feel the exact same fear, and my son has it here today. I'm staying in this corner and don't want to move around in my own house.

I am sorry that your son has it, hopefully he is feeling better now. I just keep telling myself thank god we all got it at the same time and now it is over and I shouldn't have to worry about it for awhile, but I still panic. The logical part of my brain says we just had it this type of thing doesn't usually even happen every year. I myself only had a sv* 2 times as a kid and managed to go 14 years without v* or even if someone in my house had it still didn't get it. Even as an adult I have only had it just a few weeks ago and only had d*, but if someone starts complaining of a belly ache I stop eating and lately I have not been eating much at all. I know how you feel about staying in the one corner of your house and not moving, I feel like that all the time, especially if the kids are sick with sv*. Unfortunatly I think my 6 year old is phobic too. She has been having panic attacks a lot lately and doesn't want to go anywhere.

Aww, hopefully your 6 yr old doesn't get too bad with her phobia. I know it's tough to not let our kids see this fear when they're sick. I've done all I can to not show it so they wouldn't develop the same. But then again, it's backfired and since it's no big deal to them, they aren't as cautious with prevention.

Last night I had more anxiety and got very mad and told my family how bad it is for me, how it can actually hurt my stomach, (I had stomach stapling 20 yrs ago and the v* last Christmas made the staples rip out). I couldn't hold in my secret fear any longer because I was panicking and had to explain myself. I cried and yelled over the simple task of them just doing what they can to wash their hands - (husband too), that's not too much to ask for. Being ill right now could actually cause serious damage to my stomach. I'm waiting to have surgery in May to fix my stomach. 85% will be removed and the staples & band will be gone. Hopefully that will lessen my fears!

I think our fear is more about the unknown and leading up to "it". As we have all proved, we've lived through it at some point and recover fairly quickly. Good luck!! Hope you're family is safe for another year!!

Good luck with your surgery! I know how you feel, I just want to jump out of my skin, I wish I could make this go away! Good luck with everything! It is so nice to be able to come on this site and see that other people feel the exact same way! I also like the positive posts as well! It sounds like your kids may be a little older than mine and it is nice to see that another emet made it through when the kids were younger and all there illnesses! Thank you again.

Once someone has caught the virus, they can't catch it again til next year as they become immune to this years particular strain. Hope this helps.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Thank you so much!!! That makes me feel so much better, I worry constantly about this!