Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default food intolerances

I find that everytime i eat certain foods i get bad off and on stomach pain for a long time. its usually chocolate or too much bread. the wierd thing is i never used to get these symptoms after eating about 20 pounds of chocolate or half a loaf of bread. the pain i get kind of feels like wind or needing to go to the toilet and it come and goes for a few hours until i suddenly feel hungry, and then the pain continues. what kind of symptoms do some of you get with food that doesnt agree with you and when did it start??
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Default Re: food intolerances

That sounds super annoying!!

For as long as I can remember, drinking milk (Even lactose free milk in large quantities) makes my stomach churn. Nothing ever comes of it, but it feels terrible! However, I can eat dairy products and mow ice cream and not a hint of a problem.

If you want a crazy extreme example... if I eat peanuts I die. But that doesn't happen often, obviously :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have the same thing as you, sort of. It usually comes after eating ice cream, but not every single time. Occassionally, I'll have horrible tummy pain after I eat it, much like trapped wind. It subsides in an hour or two. I'm not sure what it is, but I do know how you feel
    "I'd rather cross the line and suffer the consequences, than stare at the line for the rest of my life." <3

Is it possible that it is connected to blood sugar spikes? Simple carbs and sugars could cause your blood sugar to go up fast and crash, which could leave oyu
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I developed a slight lactose intolerance; but it only affects me if I eat it in high quantities or when I eat eggs. I've been told that it often develops as a side effect of acute stress and anxiety, which would explain a lot for us emets right?

I mainly feel a bit jippy in my lower abdomen, a lot of wind, quite unpleasant but like most of you it doesn't ever come to anything.

Strannik
    "The hulking beast that is Fear incarnate will show itself when you expect it least, and every fibre of your being will demand that you turn heel and take flight. But there is another way, and if you wish a free existence it is the only way; draw your sword, raise your shield, scream your own challenge and charge! For only the blade of courage can fell Fear himself."

Quote Originally Posted by Strannik View Post
    I developed a slight lactose intolerance; but it only affects me if I eat it in high quantities or when I eat eggs. I've been told that it often develops as a side effect of acute stress and anxiety, which would explain a lot for us emets right?

I mainly feel a bit jippy in my lower abdomen, a lot of wind, quite unpleasant but like most of you it doesn't ever come to anything.

Strannik
    Eggs don't contain lactose.

I can't handle much dairy. Like, I had cereal for supper (lol) and chocolate milk, which my stomach didn't like all that well. haha It passes after a while though.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

My crazy extreme example is cherries. Highly allergic, I don't think it'd kill me unless I ate a bunch of them but anything even artificially cherry flavored makes me go into a frenzy of ew.

Dairy also kills me (not literally) but my safe food and biggest weakness is ice cream, so I just torture myself.
    Add me on facebook! I'm always up for new friends. (:

i pretty much torture myself as well. it is very annoying. im glad im not the only one. funny thing is some days it happens and other days it doesnt. its becoming more frequent though. so hrd to cut out the food you love
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Quote Originally Posted by wargerbil View Post
    Eggs don't contain lactose.
    People often cook them in milk

You may find these links helpful!

In fairness the last time I ate an egg it was cooked with milk! So that's the issue.

Strannik
    "The hulking beast that is Fear incarnate will show itself when you expect it least, and every fibre of your being will demand that you turn heel and take flight. But there is another way, and if you wish a free existence it is the only way; draw your sword, raise your shield, scream your own challenge and charge! For only the blade of courage can fell Fear himself."

I have a sensitivity to raw garlic and raw onions...my stomach kills me....

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko View Post
    People often cook them in milk
    yah true, or butter. I'm so disconnected from these things. haha. BUT eggs, not mixed with milk, do not contain lactose!!

what kin of symptoms do you get when you eat these foods?

I don't technically have food intolerances, but I am extremely sensitive to many foods. I have diarrhea predominant IBS and there are a lot of things that I cannot eat because they cause some uncomfortable symptoms. After eating certain foods, I will experience anything from mild abdominal pain or bloating to excruciating abdominal pain, nausea, and diarrhea. I also often get the same symptoms you are experiencing... stomach pain or upset/the feeling of trapped wind, then sudden hunger. Some of the foods that I cannot eat now are: most raw vegetables, garlic, mustard, barbeque sauce, dark chocolate, black pepper, oatmeal, whole wheat bread... and the list goes on and on. My symptoms started about 3 or 4 years ago.

i had an iced chocolate today and had an awful upset stomach for the rest of the day. thats never made me feel like that before. its so hard to know how my tummy is gonna react to some foods.

I can't even put an egg in my mouth without starting to retch and it turns out my daughter has the same problem. We're not allergic but both hugely intolerant. Dairy is a problem for me, I'm lactose intolerant and lately sweet potatoes give me horrible stomach cramps.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

I cant take to much milk products, ice cream is the worst, but who could stay away from ice crem!?
    So I usually eat it when I know I don`t have any plans, and then I hate myself for it after.
    Caffeineis horrible for people with anxiety, but I drink that too...
    And Kiwis make my mouth itch.. but still I eat it.
    I must be out to get myself
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    ~Herm Albright