Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anti-sickness tablets?

The doc has given me some to take along with anti-ds but she's only given me about 3 days worth of anti sickness tablets to cover me for the first few days of my meds. But I was thinking would I feel normal if I took anti sickness tabs ALL the time since I know I won't v* with them? Does anyone else keep taking them every day?

Default Re: Anti-sickness tablets?

That's not a good way to go at all. You run the risk of getting too addicted to them or developing a resistance to them (I'm not sure about the resistance, actually, someone correct me?), and really, they're unnecessary to take all the time, they really are. I don't take them, but I know a lot of people on here have done and might be able to offer more advice.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know what your saying is right deep down.. I just really don't want to have to think about sickness anymore and just get on with a normal life and realistically if there was a bug, I would prob v* anyway even with the drugs.

And sometimes suppressing it is worse because you might get even sicker. I know it's not something you want to think about, but if you keep up your hand hygiene and just stay healthy so your immune system is good, you don't have to worry too much (easier said than done, I know). Anti-emetics don't take away the possibility of you getting sick completely, and I feel that the risk of getting addicted and the risk of becoming resistant should you actually need them for a medical reason some time far outweighs possible benefits. Are you doing anything else to overcome the phobia? Remember, the anxiety is the problem, not the thing you're afraid of

I just saw my gastro yesterday who, long story short, says he believes I have cyclical n* and v* syndrome (CNVS), and wanted to know why, if they help, I am not taking the zofran/phenergan I have prescribed. I said I didn't want to get used to taking them, didn't want them to not be effective, etc... He says they aren't addictive, their efficacy doesn't wane over time, and with CNVS, the most important thing is to take them as soon as you start feeling ill to reduce the duration and severity of an episode.

That said, I still wouldn't take them if I wasn't having an attack.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumof2 View Post
    I know what your saying is right deep down.. I just really don't want to have to think about sickness anymore and just get on with a normal life and realistically if there was a bug, I would prob v* anyway even with the drugs.
    I dont want to worry you, and I know its not the same with everyone.
    But last week I had a sv* took my anti-sickness as i didnt want to be sick, and I was still sick :/

I think this is taken as a matter of opinion around here, but I think if you're really going to get sick, no amount of anti emetics are going to stop that. If the body needs to be sick, it will happen, as much as that sucks.

Wargerbil, do you think that you can get addicted to even drugs that aren't addictive? I had an aunt with a serious addiction to carrots. They used to be a comfort food for her and she seriously ate so many (It was all she'd eat for about a year, for breakfast, lunch and dunner) that her skin was starting to turn orange. It was so scary at the time, despite that it sounds funny now. My mum has a mild addiction to Diet Coke. I think that even things that aren't addictive medically can be addictive psychologically. I'm sure some people on here are addicted to anti-emetics.

Sorry, I just read over that and it sounds a bit snarky. It wasn't meant that way, I just think that anti-emetics can be more trouble than they're worth if you take them regularly as avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I think this is taken as a matter of opinion around here, but I think if you're really going to get sick, no amount of anti emetics are going to stop that. If the body needs to be sick, it will happen, as much as that sucks.

Wargerbil, do you think that you can get addicted to even drugs that aren't addictive? I had an aunt with a serious addiction to carrots. They used to be a comfort food for her and she seriously ate so many (It was all she'd eat for about a year, for breakfast, lunch and dunner) that her skin was starting to turn orange. It was so scary at the time, despite that it sounds funny now. My mum has a mild addiction to Diet Coke. I think that even things that aren't addictive medically can be addictive psychologically. I'm sure some people on here are addicted to anti-emetics.

Sorry, I just read over that and it sounds a bit snarky. It wasn't meant that way, I just think that anti-emetics can be more trouble than they're worth if you take them regularly as avoidance.
    They can certainly become psychologically addictive. It can be a crutch if you're using them all the time when you don't really need them. I meant more that you wouldn't develop a physical dependence or 'rebound' nausea or anything if you took them often.

Diet Coke, however, can be physically addictive -- both the caffeine and artificial sweeteners. :P

I can handle a bit of snark but I didn't take it that way. Despite having a documented medical need, I probably still won't take my meds as often as the doctor recommends. I prefer not to take meds unless absolutely necessary, and I certainly wouldn't recommend other people take them daily as a prophylactic, my intent was just to clear up whether or not they were addictive and whether or not one would develop a resistance.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Kaydee im not really doing anything apart from pushing my boundaries every so often. Since my doc suggested this has all stemmed from depression, she wants to fix that first and if I still have this fear then she'll address it then.

Ahh, right. Again, sorry about the snarkiness. And hey, I didn't know Diet Coke can be physically addictive. Lovely :P That's probably why my mother becomes a monster when she doesn't drink it for a day.

Last edited by mama; 02-05-2012 at 08:05 AM.

UNLESS PRESRCIBED BY A GP FOR OFFICIAL REASONS IN A CONTROLLED WAY. My gp wont give me any anymore

I would highly advise you NOT to take them on a daily basis whatsoever. They should only be used for extreme cases. I have nearly ruined myself of the past year and a half because I was so reliant on them for my chronic nausea. The constipation problems you will get from consistent use is far worse than any bug you might pick up, trust me.

Yesterday, I was literally screaming in pain, blacking out and had the worst abdominal cramping in my life because the anti-nausea medications had gotten me so backed up. You could see a bulge in my lower stomach where my intestines are where there was a blockage. I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not. I've been advised by numerous doctors not to take them at all anymore because the damage they cause is awful. They even make nausea worse in some cases.

PLEASE, do not take them daily. In the long run they will do nothing for you.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Thanks for all your advice, looks like this isn't the way to go.. Oh well.