Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Some days are harder than others. Sometimes you think its here to stay, other days you think you can rise above it and move on. The task is to deal with it little by little until you can manage it and it doesn't compromise your freedom and your right to happiness. Everyone here has a right to be happy. Let's remember that above anything else.

Here are some ideas I have about how to re-gain or remain in control of your body and your psyche in a way that doesnt encourage the same thought patterns that help keep the phobia alive.

1. BUILD ON YOUR SMALL AND LARGE SUCCESSES: We all want to get this out of our lives, so lets start associating good feelings with the steps we take to get over the problem. We dont want to be held prisoner by this phobia indefinitely, so whatever steps we take to "feel better about it" should ALSO promote a lifestyle changewhere there is NO ROOM for emetophobia. For instace, try not washing your fruit 3 times. Wash it 2 times (or once if you are feeling particularly fiesty!) and then EAT it without looking at it. Those without food issues can try their own small and large steps. But challenge yourselves not to GO BACK to repeating the old behaviour once you have established the ability to stop doing it. Don't undermine your own efforts!

2. MUSIC: this phobia causes different types of fears at different times-- sometimes all at once, sometimes spread out. The type of fear you feel any given day or in any given situation can be helped a great deal by the right music.When you feel "smaller" than the phobia and it seems to be owning you, take back the onwership of your body and mind by listening to a song that evokes strength. Even if popular music isn't your thing, try hearing that Kelly Clarkson tune "Breakaway". Listen to the lyrics-- they're really relatable to a person with this phobia. Or if you just want to jump around and release intense anxiety or even nausea, listen to "Lithium" by Nirvana or anything with a heavy, rebellious guitar. After all, we want to give the middle finger to this phobia and tell it that it has no right to affect us this way. So listen to music that does your screaming for you and reflects the frustration and anger and fear you feel towards the phobia. Also, music reminds us that we are not alone in our experience of the human condiftion. Listen to the lyrics and smile knowing you are by no means isolated.

3. LEARN FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS EXHIBITED STRENGTH: this could be anyone in your life or someone you dont know but have only read about. They could be alive or dead.Just make sure you feel calm and inspired and empowered when you think about them and their message. Its even better if the person has overcome something that is particularly frightful for you. Look at how great that person is after the bad thing happened to them and realize that they not only survived but are able to HELP OTHERS. Thats a pretty powerful symbol-- to go through something really horrible and then get out the other side feeling strong enough to reach down and lift someone else up. For those of you who would like a powerful story of courage to read about, look up the name Jacqueline Saburido on google (there may be alternate spellings), or go to www.helpjacqui.com . I was initially very upset emotionally by Jacqui's story, so if you are feeling particlarly anxious, I would advise looking at her website when you feel more in control. You'll see what I mean about this girl once you read about her and watch the videos on her site. She's a real person with real problems who has managedto find super-human emotional and physical strength. Maybe she can help you like she has helped me!

4. TRY VOLUNTEERINGbviously this isnt an option (right now, anyway) for those of youwho are exper

WOW that is a great piece of positive writing and very inspirational....I shall keep that and look at it everyday.....its funny u talk about the volunteer side of things as i was agoraphobic for 2yrs and have only started to get out in the last year but i have an interview to do some volunteer work,like u say give something back to the community and at the same time build my confidence up again....

thanks for this its great

Vicky xx

thats a really good and inspirational thread! im sure it will help lots of people here! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

Ooh! great stuff! [img]smileys/smilies_47.gif[/img]sticky post perhaps??
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Quote Originally Posted by jptk
    sticky post perhaps??

Yes, this is the kind of post that most people(that are new) here need to read. This is really helpful

wow, I love the 'laugh about it' thing, although somtimes that is hard, it is really a good Idea! ^_^

brilliant info!!! needs to be sticky, DEFENITELY!

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bump

I really enjoyed reading that. There was so much good information there. yay!