Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

When I went into the daycare today for work I was informed that there would be designated diaper changers for the day and designated feeders and anyone who changed a baby could not feed one. When I inquired as to why the girl explained that there is a very serious stomach illness going around in Woodford county (about 30-45 minutes from Fayette county where we are) and that all daycares should be taking every precaution they could not to get it. She didn't know much else about it other than that.

Well... when I got home I was watching the news and apparently this illness is much more serious than they were saying. A three year old in Woodford county was the first recorded case and since then there have been eight others. Apparently it causes bloody diarrea, stomach cramping, fever, and can even cause seizures in small children. They also said that most childrens end up hospitalized and that while the illness usually lasts about a week that it can take months for your bowels to return to normal... Um... AHHH!!!

http://www.wlextv.com/

Ugh... WHERE IS SPRING!!!

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

We had an outbreak of shigella at one of the day cares here a couple of years back--it actually occured during the summer time. It is a nasty illness but usually doesn't cause *v*. Since I work for the health department, there is always an uproar when something like this happens! We have a nurse here who goes out to daycares and helps inspect them. She educates on handwashing and stuff like that too.

that's horrible !!!!!! I hope your child doesnt get it. Are you in Texas?

I'm actually from Kentucky (lol) I guess there are a lot of woodford and fayette counties around the states. And luckily I don't have any children yet, but my mother and I care for my best friends 5 1/2 month old son so I want to be extremely careful when it comes to him.

It's good that it doesn't cause vomitting, but it sounds absolutely awful and terrifying and of course they've said it's "Extremely contagious."

The health dept. here has said that any parent whose child shows signs should take them toa doctor asap andshould NOT bring them to school. Any child with symptoms at school will be sent homeimmediately (not something they usually enforce)...they're thinking of shutting down the schools for bleach cleanings and such.But for now I guess it sounds as if they're taking as many precautions as they can.

Hopefully it won't make its way toLexington EVER!

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Isnt Shigella something that you need to take antibiotics for to clear up? It is a bacterial stomach illness that is really bad. When we had a virus going through the assisted living home I work at the health department made us get stool cultures to test for salmonella and shigella. None of that was found but I think our medical director said that you had to take the meds to clear it up.

yeah... it's not a stomach virus, but a bacteria. They gave a lot more info on the news tonight about it and here's what I gathered...

Shigellosis is from the group of bacteria called as you have said "Shigella" which causes many different, less seriousillnesses and is spread through feces of an infected person sometimeseven weeks after they feel better. (now I know why they wouldn't let the diaper changers feed the babies today even after they disinfected everything including themselves!) It sounds just awful!

Also, asDonna said it can be treated with antibiotics (which stomach viruses cannot), but many forms have become resistant to antibiotics so they are trying hard not to use them and are only doing so in the most severe cases.

The scariest part is the whole messed up bowels for "several months" UGH!

~Rachel
    My journal

wink

Unknown