Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Scared to Sleep

I know I haven't posted on here in a long time and my emet had seemed to have fade away a good deal... but somehow it's back. At least since the last few nights it is.

I came back down to school for my spring term last Sunday. Since then I haven't been able to sleep through the whole night without waking up at least once with my stomach hurting REALLY bad. After doing that for the past week and not throwing up, I started thinking that my Mom probably is right and that I'm just incredibly hungry. Because I haven't really been eating much... I've been kinda stressed and anxious a lot and I don't eat a lot when I get like that because my stomach hurts.

Anyway, last night was the worst. I woke up around 3am with my stomach hurting REALLY REALLY bad. I thought for sure I was gonna puke then. I was shaking so much I think I woke my roommate up.

I've eaten some stuff today and have been okay so I'm pretty sure it is just the anxiety/not eating thing. But now I'm terrified to go to sleep tonight. I don't want to go through that again. The only way I managed to calm down was to get up and watch some tv and even then that took like a half an hour.

Does anyone ever get like this? Or have any ideas how to prevent it from happening? I'm really scared to go to sleep tonight but I have an 820am class in the morning [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Edited by: kawrae

Everytime I don't eat right during the day, nighttime becomes my worst enemy. This happens to me all the time. If I don't eat at least 2 meals during the day,at night, I start getting the shakes, and I wake up with horrible nausea. What I found is good to do, is to eat what you consider safe foods right before bed. I usally have a cheese sandwich, or some rice or noodles, really any carbs that will fill you up, then your body has something to work on at night. Just try snacking right before bed and see if that works. Good luck.

Michele
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

Yeah I agree, not eating enough during the day can make nights hard! Your stomach can feel very nauseas from lack of food. I know there have been times where I felt REAL sick, but it didn't freak me much because I knew it was just because I was hungry and wasn't going to really be sick.

I used to wake up quite often during the night with stomach pains and nausea when my IBS and GERD were acting up. I'm not sure if you've been diagnosed with any kind of stomach condition, but you may want to look into it. I would always be certain that I was going to *v* but I never did. I would just have to stay awake until my tummy felt well enough to go back to bed.

Jess

When you don't eat, your blood sugar can get really low and this makes the anxiety and nausea much worse. I'm sure this is why anxiety is always worse in the middle of the night. Maybe you need to keep some plain cookies and bananas by your bed, and a plain sweet drink like Snapple?

Please eat enough... it won't make you ill but it will make you feel much better! If you can't manage much, try little and often.

Try eating small meals during the day. Just make sure that you have something in your stomach, crackers, cheese whatever you like. I find that eating small meals during the day helps me sleep through the night. Like the advice that was given here have something by your bed to nibble on.