Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: others sickness

I am trying to find info on my fear of OTHERS getting sick. Im not afraid of myself getting sick, but being around people who seem like they might get sick freaks me out.. I cant drive on a long or a windy road type trips with my 5 yr. old due to it scares the h*** out of me and it is affecting what i do or go. It seems that emetophobia is the fear of your own self getting sick. i need help finding out what my problem is. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Emetophobia canbe either or both. I think there are a few people on here who are more concerned with others being sick so you are not alone.

Have you tried therapy for your fear?

I have a fear of both, more myself than others, though. I think my BIGGEST fear is that seeing someone else *v* will cause me to *v*.

You're not alone. I believe there are some others on here that fear others *v* more.

Welcome to the site! This is a great place to get support!

Jess

Jess, I am the same way, I fear that seeing someone V will cause me to V, and that always FREAKS me out.. I do not like the feeling of Nausea, and this is the part that makes me angry as to my thought process. I start to think, if I V** then I have the bug, and then my husband and Son will get it, and I can not handle it.. ..What a pain in the rear phobia I tell you :O)

I alsofreak outoverother people v'ing. I begin to panic the minute I hear someone say they feel a little queasy or even joke about v'ing. You are not alone. I am goingto try and conquer this though.Over the years I've been in and out of therapy but I've avoided this issue because I thought I wasthe only person in the world withthis problem. Now that I know I'm not, I decided to go back into therapy tofinally confront it.I will post information onmy progressif I learnanything that may help other emets.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

-Spinnerchick

I'm more afraid of others too. But here's the question I try and answer myself and can't: am I afraid of others because I think I'll then get sick??? I don't know, all I know is I'm so afraid of other people getting sick, way more than myself. I haven't done it in so long that I just don't remember what it feels like. But I panic and flee the scene when someone else mentions being sick, as you can see from my post called "it's here - dread". You're not alone! You've got emetophobia. You've come to the right place!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I DID GO TO THERAPY AND UMM LETS SAY IT DIDNT WORK FOR ME BUT I STILL HAVE HOPE THAT I WILL SOME DAY BE OK... I THINK I JUST REALLY NEED SUPPORT AND TO KNOW IM REALLY NOT ALONE.... I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON THAT FELT LIKE THIS.... THANKS!!!!

Hi lamona,

I, too, only feared others - REALLY badly. Now I'm completely cured. When I hear you say "I tried therapy and it didn't work" I think you may want to think about it differently - as if it's like saying "I read a book once and didn't like it - so I won't read one again". Don't give up. It took me 13 therapists to finally find one that worked for me...and a treatment program that worked well for me. Read my piece at the top of the treatments thread on how to find a therapist to help.

This phobia may have periods of diminished symptoms, but I've never heard of it just going away on its own. However, the good news is that it is highly treatable...ESPECIALLY if you have the kind that is the fear of others.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.