Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was happy and excited last night because I got a sponsor for Alcoholics Anonymous (a sponsor is someone who helps you work the 12 step program and helps you to stay sober). She invited me to her house today to start working together.

So I get there at one o'clock and she opens the door and I say, "Hi, how are you?" and she immediately tells me she woke up at 3 in the morning with diarrhea and v*, and has been v* all morning! Ach! I tried to appear calm and said, "Well, if you aren't feeling well, we can reschedule for another day." And she says she's okay and invites me in. Grr. She thinks it's a stomach virus because she is achy and has a fever. Great. Just great. I did all I could to hurry the process along, so I only ended up staying an hour.

I tried not to touch anything, but I sat on the couch and opened the door. I definitely did NOT go anywhere near the bathroom. Stupid me left my Purell at home, so as soon as I got home, I washed my hands. I really hope I don't get sick! This is really scary! I tried to be cautious, but I may have touched something she touched and scratched my nose or something and didn't know it. I'm mostly calm. But still...oh, why didn't she call and tell me not to come over?! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OMG, I totally would have cancelled if I were her. Shows how insignificant being sick is to some people. I'm glad you're calm, and you did super in staying!! Since I fear others more, I would have been out that door in a flash. You deserve and applause! I don't think the virus is airborn, so you shouldn't have breathed it in, and you didn't eat anything she made, didn't use the bathroom, just sat there basically. You should be ok. But I understand you being scared, but you kicked emet's ass by staying for an hour!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I honestly would like to know what people are thinking. Why would she even invite anyone over?

Why are people so stupid.

Honest to god.

Hdogg, I'm sure you'll be okay, take care, wash your hands, take you vitamins. I'll be thinking of you!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Quote Originally Posted by crazybeautiful

I honestly would like to know what people are thinking. Why would she even invite anyone over?

Why are people so stupid.

Honest to god.

Hdogg, I'm sure you'll be okay, take care, wash your hands, take you vitamins. I'll be thinking of you!

i guess it dosnt cross some non phobics mind that people dont wanna catch their bug, i dont really get it, i know plenty of people who arnt emets who wouldnt go near a person with the bug
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Okay, the anxiety is starting to build some. I'm feeling okay so far, but it hasn't even been 24 hours yet. I'm scared I'll wake up sick in the middle of the night, or I'll be driving somewhere and suddenly get sick. Sunday, we're having an open house b/c we're trying to sell our house. What if all these people come and I start feeling sick? I hate this waiting period. I'm just hoping it was food poisoning or something. Eek! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

She should have told you before you went over or when you got there to ask if you can come over when she is feeling better. I think you should explain to her about your phobia, that way she will understand how you feel and the next time if she is sick she will let you know ahead of time. I truly think she will understand.

You have an awesome amount of courage, I would have been totally freaking out, wondering about if she had v* where and all that stuff, and I would have just made things worse for myself...Anywho, great job! You'll be fine ^_^

Goodness. Well, yeah, I think that you'll be fine. But really, I don't understand why she wouldn't feel bad exposing someone to an illness.

She was so inconsiderate to not call you and cancel. You were
    brave, but somewhat foolish, for going in. You backed down to her
    and jeopardized your on well being. In the future, should that
    happen with her or anyone else, just say "I am sorry you are not
    feeling well. Quite frankly, I don't want to catch this so lets
    reschedule." Period - you made your point. The ball
    is always in your court to take care of yourself.

This woman is probably feeling better now and you are the one suffering
    in the "wait and see - 48 plus hour mode." What she did was
    selfish and inconsiderate. For you to have walked away would have
    been completely and totally appropriate. What she did was rude
    and unaccpetable.

When my kids were younger and we did playdates, I always called parents
    and canceled when one of my kids had the signs of a slight cold, even
    if the sick kid was not the one with the actual playdate. Many
    times the parents would say they did not care and still wanted to come
    over. I always said it was a no-go and we would
    resechedule.

Five years ago, one of my best friends came over with her two girls to
    play with my kids. My daughter was almost three years old at the
    time and my son was eight months old. Anyway, we were planning to
    go to Disney World in a week. So what did she do? She
    informed me, after about two hours of play and my inquiring as to what
    is going on with their noses running so much, that her girls had
    terrible colds. Immediately, I asked her what was she
    thinking. I had a baby!!!! I ushered them out pretty fast,
    but it was too late. As luck would have it, we all got sick and the
    baby ended up needing an antibiotic. Fortunately, we were on the
    mend by the time we left for Florida. But still, what on earth
    was she thinking?

Two weeks ago this same friend told me that she and her two daughters
    had the sv. It passed quickly from one to the other over a three
    day period. She said "I don't know how it passed so quickly, I
    cleaned everything with Lime Away." I fell over with
    laughter. Lime Away does not work so hotsy totsy on getting rid
    of Lime let alone anything else. When I suggested bleach in the
    future she was dumbfounded. By the way she has two degrees - a BA
    and and MA. Can you belive people can be so dumb? Really
    scarry.

Stella

Oh dear!! Heather, I really, really hope you will be okay!! You were much braver than I am --I would have run for the hills!!!! I will be praying for you!

I called my sponsor and she still feels bad today. Maybe it was food poisoning or something else. Her daughter isn't sick. Maybe there's hope. I wasn't going to eat, but then I wanted to take a vitamin, so I didn't want to take it on an empty stomach. So I had a small bowl of cereal. I'm shaky. Really scared. I had somewhat soft poo today and my temperature is in the low 99s. Not quite a fever, but still warm. I am not leaving the house. I'm scared. I hate this waiting period!

I truly truly agree with stella9 about being assertive. We have this phobia, so maybe we feel self conscious sticking up for our well being when confronted with a sick person like this. But I don't think that it is unreasonable to want to protect ourselves from illness really. If the woman had had a bad cold, I would have felt the same way that I don't want to be exposed to it. I have a lot of things to do and do not have time to be sick.

I think that it is fine to tell someone that you don't feel like catching anything. You can just phrase it in a nice way. You can just say, "Well, I appreciate that you would still want to meet with me when you're not feeling well. That's very generous. But I wouldn't feel comfortable imposing on you when you're ill, and I don't want to expose myself to any illnesses."