Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: ...Germs...

Does anyone know how long germs can live on solid objects?

I'm having a radio repaired and just found out that the man repairing it has had a sickness bug while the radio was in his possession. I'm trying to keep this in proproation, however, the radio is usually kept in my lovely warm kitchen... [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

No ones knows the definite time germs from the stomach virus lives on objects because they can't be replicated in a lab because they do not grow outside of the HUMAN body (that is stomach virus germs)and I dont reckon they have many willing "guinea pigs" to test.If you would like to learn a little more about ittype Inactivation and Survival in the Environment of noroviruses into yo9ur search engine on your computerand see what it brings up.However if you are really concerned about your radio, spray it down with a mixture of bleach water, and/or let it sit in direct sunlight outside for a few hours, by the way lysol spray and clorox spray and those other disinfectant sprays do not work as effectively as the manufactorers make them out to.Read the back of the label on them and youwill see that you have tosoak the item in the spray and wait 10 minutes then rinse it off thoroughly and a few other interesting things. Just do like evreyone else says and keep your hands washed and remember that stomach bug germs do not multiply outside of the human body and they can only be spread by somone touching an object, getting there hands contaminated and then touching another object, they cant just jump around by themselves.The most recent research I have read implies that the s virus live for up to 7 days at room temperature on surfaces, however they loose there potency as time goes by. The only way to get a s virus is to *graphic* injest feces or vomitis*by either touching a contaminated surface and putting your hands in your mouth or if you are close to someone who is sick you inhale the aresolised vomit or feces and then swallow, the virus particles have to be ingested. Hope this helps ease your mind!

7 days???????? EEEEEEKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Thanks for that Blueiz25.

Not sure if I want to soak my radio in Bleach, though!!! I was thinking about putting it somewhere cold as I thought the germs may die quicker in the cold. Your suggestion of putting it out in the sunlight is an interesting thought. Mmmm.

I like to listen to the radio while I'm cooking and sometimes I have to retune or tune it up or off. I'm thinking about swapping it around with a radio in another room. Like you say it's when you ingest the bugs that it's a problem.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

cold will NOT kill sv only heat of 122 degrees F or higher. The UVB rays in sunlight will kill sv germs.