Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I really don't understand why so many people in here wants to be cured of this so called "phobia".

I would say that this is not a phobia. My definition of a phobia is an
    irrational fear of something that isn't even touching you, like
    spiders, heights and so on.

Emetophobia is not a phobia. If emetophobia is a phobia, then we should
    also define the fear of getting cancer as being a phobia, or the fear
    of being shot and killed as a phobia.

Nobody, except some wierd ones, likes to v*.

It is just more painful for people suffering from emetophobia to v* than it is for those who don't.

You don't like to be shot, because it hurts. Does it make it better if you get used to be shot? NO!

There is only one "cure". And that is: Take anti-emetics. Always make
    sure you have anti-emetics at you. I know you can get some that are
    liquid and therefore can be taken anywhere. I'll go get some of them,
    and then that fear is out of my way, because when I get sick next time,
    I just take this anti-emetic and then I can't v*.

Your FEAR of getting sick can be cured by simply making sure you can
    always get anti-emetics, because then you have nothing to fear.

And btw (off topic) why does it seem like there are so many females
    suffering from this? Am I the only male in the whole world that suffer
    from emeto"phobia"?

Are you even an emetophobic? It sounds to me as if you are not and are trying to tell the rest of us that we are irrational. If so then I don't think this site is appropriate for you. A phobia is defined as an irrational fear... period. Who ever said that anti-emetics will ever stop anyone from V**? Of course everyone fears getting shot and killed and getting cancer but the difference that a phobia makes is that we severly fear this and we are thinking about it all the time. Our minds just don't constantly think about getting shot or cancer. There are tons of things in this world that people could worry about everyday but it is our brains choice to pick the things that make us phobic of them. Fear of V*** is a phobia!!! Out of the top 10 phobias... emet is number three. So this is far more common than anyone would ever imagine!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

what the hell... who on earth do you think you are???

emetophobia isnt a phobia?!? and the sky isnt f***ing blue.

you know wot im so pissed off by what u said i'm not even going to bother to try and explain why emetophobia IS a phobia... why the hell shud i?? your ignorance is ur ignorance. if u think taking an anti-emetic is going to cure everyone, then u really are so narrow-minded. even with an anti-emetic i'd stil be emetophobic. how many people do you know who has to have an anti-emetic to get thru the day?!

i'm sorry to compeltly freak at you if ur a fellow emetophobe, but really... those views are so harsh, and so offending to many of us here who has had to FIGHT to get the doctors to actually realise WE HAVE A PSYCHOLOGICAL ILLNESS and it's NOT going to get cured by a drug.

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Moderator, please delete this topic.

Thank you. Sparky2004
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

If you would please READ before posting comments, then you will find out that I too suffer from extreme fear of v*.

However, I will NOT call it a phobia, since a phobia is defined as an IRRATIONAL fear. To fear v* is _NOT_ irrational!

f***ing stop posting until you have READ MY POST!

If you gave yourself time to read every line in my post you will find
    out the point. But since you seem to be too stupid to do so, I will
    point it out for you in some very simple way:

Emetophobia is NOT a psycological illness, I know it is defined as
    such, but that's what I want changed. It is physiological. If people
    don't like to v* they should not be cured so that they like to v*
    because this is impossible.They should instead be UNABLE to v*.

If you can not v* then why fear it?

Hello ?????????????? There is no possible way to NOT V***. It's a bodily function. Like pissing and pooping... we cannot stop that can we????????

skinnyme - of course you can stop v*.

I'm not a doctor, but because of my fear of it, I have, for several
    years, read everything about this and found out everything neccessary
    to know about this.

v* is controled by a center in the brain, but even though it sits in
    the brain, you can not control it mentally. There are VARIOUS kinds of medicine
    that can cut off the signals send from that part of the brain that
    trigger v*. It becomes physically impossible to v*.

Wether it is caused by motion sickness, a virus or bacteries, it is all
    controled by that center in the brain (I don't know what it is called).

By taking anti-emetics every day, that part of the brain will be turned
    off all the time, and no matter what, you won't be able to v*.

If unable to v* then why fear v*? That way the phobia will go away,
    however it will return if you forget to take the anti-emetics, but that
    can be prevented.

Edited by: dktekno

OK, in short: What I am trying to tell you is:

It is NOT irrational to fear v*.

You try to make the doctors realise that you have psychological
    problems, but this will only worsen the problem. Then if I go tell my
    doctor that I fear getting sick and v* he/she will just send me to a
    psychiatrist, which won't cure me.

Isn't it better to make us unable to v*?

Even more simple:

We fear v*.

Then let us be unable to v*.

Doesn't that sound logical?

Ok..so I read your whole post...and I dont agree that emetophobia is not an actual phobia. We have an irrational fear of somthing.

I do understand that with the exemption of the few odd ducks who love to V*..no one likes to vomit..but because we are phobic we take the fear to a more extrem level. We are phobic..which means we become irrational about the fear...somone who siimply doesnt like the act of V* doesnt have panic attacks...cry..shake..hyperventilate... justa t the mear thought of being AROUND someone who has done the dead...they dont do the crazy things we do to try and "prevent" ourselevs from V*..such as not eating out...not eating period..not visitng friends..not drinking at all..not using public restrooms.

the idea that the "cure" of this phobis is to take anti-emetic is pure bull...i know..i have tried it for years....yes..it eases my fears knowing that i have my pepto with me..but pepto may not stop a stomach virus..or food poisoning..if we are meant to throw up..we will our bodies will make us...the way to "cure" this phobia is to re-work the way our brains think..we need to rationalize our behaviours...we need to relaize that we will be ok and throwing up is not the end of the world.. NOT become addicted to anti-emetics..again..i know..i took pepto every day..at elast once for about 6 months..it got me nowhere..except crying in the bathroom because i was so constipated.

so please..take some time to re-think what YOU wrote..there are a ton of very kind but sensitive people on this board..we come here for support and your post did nothing in thet sence, instead it appears to belittle us.
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

I have to disagree with dktekno. Do you realize that manyemetophobes also fear others v'ing? It manifests itself as a reaction/panic attack as severe as when a person is faced with death. We can not expect everyone in the world to take antiemetics just so that people like me do not need to fear running into someone v'ing.

OK you posted before i could put my first post..

Youa re right..its not completely irrational to fear throwing up..it is a nasty experience for most...

but the thing is..we take the fear to an irrational level..where it controls our life. some of us know that throwing up is a natural thing..everyone does it..and we will be ok..but that doesnt reguister with us ebcause we continue to panic and freak at the mere thought of it.

so yes..ia gree its not irrational to fear throwing up..but because we take that fear to the level that it interfears with our lives it then becomes irrational..therefor becomes a phobia.
    Garth Brooks

I don't even know where to begin with you. Why are you being so ignorant?

Even though I have this phobia, I would in no way want to poison my body with medication to make it not be able to function properly. Logically we know that vomiting exists for a reason.

There is nothing logical about what we do. Many people hate vomiting or being sick, but how many of them chose not to have families of their own or stay inside all winter long? That is what makes it a phobia. Even when it is not touching us, we are in constant fear of the possiblility that it may.

I think that anyone who lets themselves become addicted to a medication in order to avoid a fear would only be giving themselves more psychological problems (such as chemical dependency, avoidance, addiction).

I think you should use the gray matter between those ears and rethink your theory before you keep going on this one.

whats your problem!!? if you spend everday of your life terrified to do anything cause you might be sick or if you refuse to leave the house because of it, i think it qualifies as an irrational fear. v.... isnt the same as holding a bleedin gun to your head, but most of us fear it more than that or at least the same, and your sayin its not irrational!!?
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Quote Originally Posted by kmarie
    ...somone who siimply doesnt like the act of V* doesnt have panic attacks...cry..shake..hyperventilate...

So, it is the panic attacks, the cry, the shake and the
    hyperventilation that is the problem. Yeah, I have the same problem.
    But unlike you, I wan't to eliminate the CAUSE - I want to be unable to
    v*, thus being unable to get these panic attacks!

justa t the mear thought of being AROUND someone who has done the dead...

Isn't that because you fear getting sick too? But if you can't v* then why fear it?

they dont do the crazy things we do to try and "prevent" ourselevs from
    V*..such as not eating out...not eating period..not visitng
    friends..not drinking at all..not using public restrooms.

That is because they are stupid. I do go out, but I never eat something
    others has touched unless I am 110 % sure that they have washed their
    hands throughly.

And I also never eat things with my fingers unless I have washed them
    before I eat. And never eat the part of the bread/cookie etc. that I've
    touched.

Those who don't do these "strange" things, (which I don't see as strange) must like to be sick or simply not educated enough.

the idea that the "cure" of this phobis is to take anti-emetic is pure
    bull...i know..i have tried it for years....yes..it eases my fears
    knowing that i have my pepto with me..but pepto may not stop a stomach
    virus..or food poisoning..if we are meant to throw up..we will our
    bodies will make us..

Never take "anti-emetics" specifically made against against v* because of motion sickness because it won't help. Take REAL
    anti-emetics, the ones they give to cancer patients. They simply make
    it physically impossible to v*.

the way to "cure" this phobia is to re-work the way our
    brains think..we need to rationalize our behaviours...

Isn't it rational to not do something unhealthy like eat what others has touched and so on?

we need to relaize that we will be ok and throwing up is not the end of the world..

No, but I fear it will result in that I end my own life if I do it just a few more times in my life.

NOT become addicted to anti-emetics..again..i know..i took pepto every
    day..at elast once for about 6 months..it got me nowhere..except crying
    in the bathroom because i was so constipated.

That's the same as saying:

"NOT become addicted to heart-medicine" to a person who suffer from a heart disease.

so please..take some time to re-think what YOU wrote..there are a ton
    of very kind but sensitive people on this board..we come here for
    support and your post did nothing in thet sence, instead it appears to
    belittle us.

I'm just trying to help by telling the reality.

I can't imagine a life without trying to avoid viruses and bacteries,
    unless I live in a room where there are nothing of that. But there is,
    thus I can't imagine a life of not trying to prevent myself from
    getting sick. However, I can imagine being BETTER to prevent being sick.Edited by: dktekno

Errrrrrrrrrr.......[img]smileys/smilies_40.gif[/img]
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

Fearing vomting is irrational. Plain and simple.

Sure most people don't like to throw up but they don't fear it. Ask around. A lot of people actually say they feel betteronce they do throw up. I don't like getting shots but I am not afraid of needles or shots. Not liking something and fearing something are not the same thing.

Not liking throwing up is normal, fearing it is not.

Also, how will anti-emetics help the fact that I am also freaked out when other people vomit?

<font color=Blue>Carly --Check out my site---
    you are on MySpace let me know and I will add you as my friend</font>

if thats how u wanna get over UR emet then take anti-emetics all your life!! they will probably do more bad than good in the end!!!

I certainly know that i dont wanna rely on a pill all my life to stop this fear - and im pretty damn sure i speak for the majority of people striving to better their emet lives on this site without relying on pills!

luckistar2 - most people don't FEAR it, that's right. But that doesn't make the FEAR of v* irrational.

Are you telling me that I am irrational? I am INTELLIGENT. Intelligent
    enough to do everything I can to prevent getting a virus. How can that
    ever be irrational?

ejb199 - do you actually know how any other treatment than pills are
    going to work - if they will work at all? It is by doing the thing you
    hate most!

That's why I bring up the alternative!

LOL OMG I really thought my post might make sense to this person but i guess I justhave toomuchfaith in human kind..i will not try to respnd thos this person again.... I hoenstly think it isnt worth our time guys..this person honestly believes that not being able to physically throw up is the answer to our fear. well..yes..i suppose it might help..knowing that we would neveryarf again would certainly help..but what about those people who fear others throwing up? It wouldnt help those people now would it?

this person thinks they have it all figured out..when in fact they have thought of a quick fix..it doesnt help the mental factors..only the phycial. I know that even if I coudlnt yarf...if my husband was in the bathroom doing it I would still freak out..I am scared of others...so now..this persons thinking is way off base. perhaps they have a more sever form of this phobia..and may even think less rationally then we do.

We know that we must take precautions...and we also know that we go way overboard and even though we know we shoudlnt do soem things (avoidence) we still do it..because we need to retrain our thought process.

this person called us stupid for doing our rituals...but we are not stupid..we are cautios and phobic..and we need to seek help for these issues..but we are NOT stupid..this person his rude. I may not agree with someone...but calling them stupid is not the right way to go about things.

so please guys..dont stress over this person.. he/she is..well..wether they want to admit it or not..an emetophobic like us..who has a verying degree...and may be worse then us in some cases. what we need to do is just be there for eachother as best we can. if this person cant play nice with us and realize that we do not share his/her opinions and cant except that or not be rude then perhaps this is not the place for him.her!
    Garth Brooks

"
    this person called us stupid for doing our rituals..."

WHAT THE F U C K?

WHERE THE HELL HAVE I WROTE THAT?

NO! I called them RATIONAL! Please, READ!

Quote Originally Posted by dktekno
    luckistar2 - most people don't FEAR it, that's right. But that doesn't make the FEAR of v* irrational.

Are you telling me that I am irrational? I am INTELLIGENT. Intelligent enough to do everything I can to prevent getting a virus. How can that ever be irrational?

yes my friend..you are irrational...wether you want to admit it or not you are phobic... because this has such an effect on your life you have taken it to an irrational lever. It is one think to be scared of throwing up...but to be scared to death..and feel that you may end your life if you msut throw up a few more times in your life...you are being irrational.

We can be intellegent and irrational at the same time...we are very smart people here on this forum..but when it comes to thinking about vomit...our minds get clouded and we become irrational...as have you...you are not a stupid person by any means..or are any of the rest of us..we have a problem..a phobia...that effects out lives...and that is why it is a phobia..a simple fear..like oh no i might throw up that scares me..does not effect you life the way our phobia of throwing up does...some of us are literaly scared to death to throw us..some of us would rather die then throw up..now you can not tell me that is not irrational!
    Garth Brooks

I did NOT call your rituals, the "strange behaviour" stupid. I have it
    themselves. I called them rational and said it was irrational NOT to do
    it, because otherwise it will make you sick.

Will you please read before posting?

Quote Originally Posted by dktekno
    " this person called us stupid for doing our rituals..."

WHAT THE F U C K?

WHERE THE HELL HAVE I WROTE THAT?

NO! I called them RATIONAL! Please, READ!

I apologize..i misread your post..please accept my apologies!
    Garth Brooks

kmarie - If I could imagine a life without the fear of v* then yes, I
    would proably call it irrational. But since doing things, "strange
    rituals" will give you a lesser chance of getting sick, then I don't
    see the irrational in doing so.

I apologize..i misread your post..please accept my apologies!

I do so.

Ok..im not sure we will ever agree on this..but I guess I can try one more time

See...non-emets..do dont suffer from what we ehre on the forums call "emetophobia" dont do things like we do...to the extremes that we do.

For instance...eating in resteraunts. Many of the people here wont even consider setting foot inside a resteraunt. Is this rational? No..it is not. Millions of people eat at resteraunts each day and are just fine. Sure...there is the occassional case of food poisoning..but reall...if you think about it..it happens less then we really think. A lot of people blame 24 hour tummy bugs on the meal they had last night. Now...non-emets dont avoid resteraunts..why should they? They are cautious (for the msot part) and dont eat anything that looks udnercooked...or if they know the place is unsanitary they dont eat there..with just cause. these things are rational behavious.

NOW, some of us...as emets..wont even set foot in a resteraunt because we are scred we will either get food poisoning or catch something from one of the workers or customers. We let our fear get so bad we cant go out and enjoy a romantic dinner with a spouse or loved one. is that rational? NO...it is not.

If we could just take minor precatuions..like washing our hands.mayeb using something like purell every now and then (NOT obsessivly like a lot fo people here do)...wed be rational people..but we arent..we take it to the extreme...washing our hands until they are dry, cracked, and bleeding, because our irrational minds tell us this is what we can do to prevent ourselves from becomming sick.

What about women who want to have a family. A non-emet would have worries and take precautions like working out..staying healthy...eating right..getting enough sleep...taking vitamins...they might worry about feeling icky in the morning...or throwing up durring delivery..but it doesnt stop them from going through the processes of having a child.

many women on here..including myself..have elt their fear of throwing up become so bad..that we cant even consider having children..just because we MIGHT have morning sickness..or throw up durring delivery..or..god..have a sick child who is always throwing up.

i guess the difference is...between those who are irrational and those who are rational is... We (the irrational and phobic when it coems to throwing up) let it guide is through life. We give up precious time worrying about being sick...we give up the chance to experience child birth and raising another little human being. We let it rule our life. If I were simply scared to throw up I would not be avoiding sex with my husband because i am scared to get pregant (because of the possibility of morning sickness). We let it rule us...that is what makes us irrational and phobic.

we cant go through life using quick fixes like pills and meds...we have deep routed problems that have caused this phobia and we need to seek them out and treat them. We cant hide from vomit any more...we cant let it rule our lives..we cant let it keep us from living our lives to the fullest.

those people who can throw up and move on are who I want to be like...its not a big deal...(easier said then done i know..trust me)...I dont want my irrational fear of throwing up to rule me any more...thats how we need to feel..we cant just say OH I can avoid it there fore I will be ok..because we wont. There are no real cures except facing it..slowly and retraining our thought processes.

We can avoid it all we want..and while it might work for now...why avoid soemthing that most people can face and move on? Exspecially when avoiding it makes us give up meaningful aprts of our lives?&gt;
    Garth Brooks

this post offends me in more ways than I dare say.

you say Vomiting is NOT a irrational fear? ofcourse no one likes to Vomit. But do they go around avioding planes, having babies, encoutering axienty attacks, avioding hospitals, thinking that everytime we feel sick the world is going to end?

I don't think so! this is what makes the fear irrational. Vomiting is a natural body funtion, and therefore while we shouldn't encourage it to happen, we shouldn't run screaming away from it. making our lives hell that it does.

I'm sorry, but you obviously do not understand what a phobia is, and if you think its normal to be scared out of your wits all the time like we are, then i think you need to do a little more reading up on phobias.

and don't you DARE call any of us stupid.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Medicine is 100% proof. My friend's daughter has leukemia right now, she is on the 3 most power anti emetics available in the US, and she vomits several times every day for a few days after a chemo treatment. The more you use them, the less they work. Myself, the other night I was very nauseous from a stomach virus and took 75mg of compazine, 25 of phenergan and 10 of reglan, along with some pepto bismol and emetrol. I didn't v, but I still felt like it, I still feared it. I still lay in bed with a bucket because I thought for sure. Then again, I haven't done the deed since I was 8 years old, and not sure if I even could if I let myself, but that was that.

I have cystic fibrosis. I take anitbiotics to prevent infection, I still get infections. Actually that's the problem with a lot of medications, they are overused and abused (antibiotics) I am appalled to read how many people on this forum get a Z pack for something as simple as an ear infection or sore throat. They are powerful antibiotics used for the stuff that only people with suppressed immune systems get, the weird stuff normal people fight off normally, and now the medication does not work as well in ANYBODY because of those doctors who abuse it for prescribing it for everything.

So basically, you are telling us to abuse medications, that it will solve the problem. Not so.

I hate to say it, but your attitude stinks. If you don't like us so much, then why are you here? To belittle? What are you gaining from this negative attitude? You don't have to answer me, but those are some questions you should try to answer for yourself. You don't seem like a very happy person, and spreading the unhappiness won't help you, and certainly isn't helping anybody here.