Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Work probs

Hey all,

Well, as you know I started my new cashier job. Just one littel problem tho, I feel like im being taken somewhat advantage of. I mean ok I haven't had a day off well, it'll be 6 days on weds (I get thurs off). I was supposed to have sunday off, but they called and needed someone and I (stupidly) said Id come in for 4 hours to help (I work part time). Well ,the 4 hours turned into like 6 and a half, and also the day before that i worked over, and today i worked over too some. Thats 3 days in a row Ive worked over some, and this is getting aggrivating. I now know not to answer the phone on off days, but well Im not sure what to do when asked to work "a few minutes over" that drags out to be like another half hour or more. I need to start putting my foot down some, maybe say like "I can only work 10-15 more minutes then I have to go". I feel like its consuming me. I know it could be a lot worse, but still it just feels like so far my life has revolved around it. Emet doesnt help. I hardly eat anything before I go in, and my break is so small I hardly have time to go br and gulp some bits of food down before I gotta work more. That doesnt help, because of course I feel half out of it from lack of food. Argh!

Im sorry to sound whingy and such, its just man sometimes (ok lots of times) I feel like Im in prison when Im there, like I can't wait to get out. I dont know how people stand to work in jobs that they feel like this in, yet do it full time, 5 days a week for years. Its nuts. Edited by: Galadriel

You don't sound whiney. Don't apologize. I totally understand where you are coming from I used to always say yes at work and that is why they always asked me. They don't care about how tired you are or how much time you have to yourself or other stuff going on in your life and that sucks.

This is my advice.. If you don't put your foot down now, they will only expect more from you. They cannot punish or be upset with you as long as you are there when you are originally scheduled. Unfortunately, it isn't like you will even be recognized for going out of your way (most times) So, give yourself a break and when it's time to go home just tell them that you are expected somewhere else andhave to leave. If you do not do this for yourself now, chances are you will become so overwhelmed and taken advantage of that you will soon say enough is enough and quit all together. If I remember correctly, you were really excited about this job, so we don't want that to happen. Just set your standards and set your limits and that is that
    \"This too shall pass\"

Shiva, you are so very right. I do have to put my foot down. I've already deterimined Im not picking up that phone on off days. Its sad, but they will not care if you slave away and how exhausted you are. Its just hard, because I myself am not always sure of whereits ok to draw the line. So its OK to saysomething like "I have plans, I can't work over", they can'tprevent me from that right? Its justI do have to establish some boundaries. You are very right. Im sorry this has happened to you, it really does suck, but its good to learn how to not let them take advantage of you.

Yeah, they'll always ask you at cashier and retail jobs to stay longer and to fill in for those that call in sick. Sometimes people want the money and will do it, but if you want your time off, you will just have to say that you're sorry, but you can't.

Not to sound rude, but welcome to being the new person at work. =) . They did that to me as well when I first started working at the bank.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Yup, they will do that and test how far they can push you, like shiva said you gotta say no now or this will be expected forever. I used to do the same as you and go in on my days off and work late. Every once in a while working late happens, its part of that type of job (or any job really) but it shouldn't be an all the time thing. it shows you dont mind helping out if you do it soemtimes but when they do it all the time you are being taken advantage of. Next time as it creeps past the time you have to go go up to someone (whoevers in charge) and say "i really can't work late tonight, I have plans" and thats not a lie cuz even if your plans are just to go home and watch tv its plans lol. Good luck!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Simply Me! Yeah, Im learning to put my foot down. The past 2 days I got out of there on time. Now tho, they have me schedualed (sp?) for a lot more hours in one work shift than I had agreed to when I started the job. I asked about it, and I am gonna have to call on friday to talk to the manager. I juststarted, and I have some of the most hours of workout of all the other cashiers. I think only one or 2 others have more hours than me, and its just a few more.Its not that I'm lazy or afraid of work or anything like that, its just that I am trying to establish boundaries so I don't get taken advantage of. Thats the main thing, Im afraid that if I give any leeway it could become like you say Simply, that they just keep doing it. Now this is hard for me because I hate confrontation or anything, but I have to make a stand. I also fear seeming like a "jerk" or whatever, but its just I don't want to be taken advantage of, that has happened so much that Im really tired of it, and here its threatening to happen again. Its a good exercize in establishing boundaries tho!

r311, no that doesn't offend me, that could be part of it, but its no excuse to just shove all this on me like that.

Yeah... welcome to the working world... lol!
    They did that to me at Penney's when I first started and then I put my foot down and started to just say "no" when they called me in or asked me to work on my off days. Remember... there's absolutely NO rule that says you can't say "I'm sorry, but there's a reason I'm not scheduled today and I really can't work."

Also, I agree that they're totally testing you out. If you let them walk all over you now, they'll continue to walk all over you in the future. When it's time for you to clock out, it's time for you to clock out... period. Staying a few minutes until the next person arrives is fine, but when it turns into fifteen or twenty minutes and longer then there's a problem.

Good luck!
    ~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Hey Rachel,

Yeah they sure are testing me out, and its giving me a headache! It seems its just first one thing, and then the other. Yeah I am watching the clock like a hawk now (well I was before too) but now I am making sure I get out when Im supposed to, not staying over an extra 15-30 minutes or more! Now tell me, is it that hard to get a cashier out on time? I am definately learning what NOT to do! 1) NEVER EVER come in on your off days, unless you REALLY want to! 2) Make sure you leave when its time for you to leave and don't let anyone bust you over it either. 3) Don't let them try to dump a bunch of hours on you that you never agreed to (I am currently working on this one!). Yeah well, at least next job, I willknow how tohandle all this.

Down with the man!

Heh, sorry, I had to do that =)
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Quote Originally Posted by r311dude

Down with the man!

Heh, sorry, I had to do that =)

Agreed! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]