Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I NEED help supporting someone with Emetophobia.

My girlfriend has Emetophobia. The though of Vomit or anything to do with it makes her sick and very, very anxious. She is coming over to my house in a few days and she found out that a couple days ago my friend threw up here. It's really bothering her. I really want to help her out as much as I can but as I research more and more about this sickness it seems very hard. She explains it as best as she can to me I think I start to understand but the anxiety sweeps over her. I love her with all my heart, and last night was the first time we really talked about it. I got to calm down before she went to bed, but I am scared about talking about this in the future. I am a very peaceful loving guy, and only want the best. Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do to be a support for her, in her struggles and anxieties?

Thanks in advance to any and all,
    James.

Default Re: I NEED help supporting someone with Emetophobia.

I meant to say, i got her to calm down.

It sounds like you're doing an awesome job in terms of being there for her. Unfortunately, that's really all you can do; just be there for her when she's scared or anxious. If you don't turn her away in a moment of panic, she won't be disappointed. This phobia is truly difficult to understand for those who do not have it. I'll be honest with you; most of us on this website don't even understand it. Is your girlfriend on any anti anxiety/depressant medication(s)? If not, it could definitely be worth looking into. When she learns how to manage her anxiety better, she will handle this phobia much better as a result. Encourage her to seek help (i.e therapy, support groups such as this, etc.) and experiment with different coping methods when she is anxious like deep breathing, exercising, calling you or someone else, take a shower, etc etc. Let her know that things are going to get better and she shouldn't get down on herself. Most importantly just listen. I've noticed that most people who come to me don't want advice or help, they just want someone to listen to them...really listen. It seems she's very fortunate to have you. I wish you both the best of luck. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to message me. I'll try and be of help any way I possibly can!!!

What an awesome boyfriend you are. My boyfriend of four years is also amazingly supportive. I'll talk to him and see what advice he can offer you, as he's been in your shoes for a few years!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure to clean the area where your friend threw up, and tell her that it is disinfected. Just try making it a safe comfortable environment for her !

Wow you guys thanks so much the support helps immensely I love this forum. I did clean it up immensely and I will continue to listen. She used to be on medications but she has realized she prefers life without them. She was much better today, next time it is brought up I just be immensely calm and encourage some deep breathing and relaxation. Thanks again, one more thing though. Is it better to hide when people are sick or to just tell her? She prefers if I hide it, I just hate lying to her. I guess it is for the best it's not always needed to tell her when someone is sick. I did tell her that my friend had to stay home from band practice! Haha, that made her happy. It just came for the first time and hit my like a storm, it gives a lot of insight hearing other people who have it give some advice.

No problem, that's what we're here for I'm glad she is doing better today and it sounds like you are doing great as well! In terms of hiding the truth vs telling her the truth, hmm that's a rather tricky one. If it were me, I think I would like to be lied to, but not even lied to per se; I would just rather not know about it to begin with. In some cases, I do believe ignorance is bliss. If I was fully aware someone I knew was ill, I would flip a SHIT and would most likely spaz out for at least a few days. Trust me, that is not fun!!! I say if she prefers you hide it from her, I would honor that. It might actually help her on the road to recovery in the long run.

glad to see a supportive boyfriend on here my husband is pretty good with it also.....but i never know what to say when he asks what can i do to help? most of the time i just need to be by myself......i don't want to talk about it when im in the middle of a panic....makes me feel like im giving up my control....weird ...i know.

distractions are a great help when someone is stressing........find a good video game or something that will totally get her mind occupied on something else besides being sick......

as far as hiding it.....i would say yes......i know just hearing that someone i know has been sick.......even if i havent seen them in a week...i start to get nervous. also the stomach virus can only be caught through ingestion of v particles.........so if she keeps her hands away from her face she should be safe.......handwashing is good......but i know some people tend to get obsessive about that too.......

we're here if you or her need us
    how i feel about emet

I prefer if it's hidden from me if it's someone that I don't know very well. But, if my boyfriend or one of my parents or someone I live with has been sick, I want to know the truth so I can take the proper precautions to not catch it. Everyone has their own way of dealing with it though, so I would honor her wishes unless she asks otherwise.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!