Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I hestitate to write because I know that news of my son's illness might make you all even more anxious when you read it. But I guess I need some words of reassurance myself. My 8-year old son was sick with a sv last night. I was a little in shock at first because he is the kid that doesn't usually get these.(HAHA) Oh well. This is simply a reality with kids.

He said his stomach hurt; I panicked, but I dealt with it when the time came for him to v*. He only v*d twice, so it was not nearly as bad as when my daughter is sick. She v*s a lot more than that with an illness. But he was sick at about 8:30 p.m. and then again at aboout 2:30 a.m. (wierd), so no one slept very well. He is still sleeping this morning, but I hope that he is through v'g.

I just felt so bad for him because he said he was afraid to v* and he looked like he just felt like crap. I hate that I cannot protect my kids from these viruses. He really did handle it like a trooper, though. I am sure each of us would handle it just fine if we were ever in that posiiton.

But I was there for him, and he told me how much he appreciated it. Now, of course, comes the worry over whether his sister will get it and whether I will get it. This despite the methods I have in place which have avoided every sv that my kids have brought into the house - I use meticulous hygiene and separate the kids for about 3 days.

Anyway, I would love to hear stories of mothers who have successfully dealt with this and stayed healthy themselves.

I am so sorry to hear that your son is sick. Just out of curiosity, what part of the country do you live in? I am trying to make some sense of where this virus is popping up so much so late in the season.

I am so proud of you for handling it so well. My daughter is 8 as well and I know that when she doesn't feel well she can be a little dramatic. (wonder where she learned that from??) [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

How is he feeling this morning?

Just try to remember... Everyones immune system acts differently. Honestly, (and I knock on wood as I type this) I have never experienced in my lifetime an instance where a sv has gone through my whole family. Honestly, I have never even witnessed it going from one person in the household to another. That has to be good news for some of us. For me I have only witnessed it to be one case, and that is it. So, it can happen! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"This too shall pass\"

I am sorry that your son is sick. Maybe the "v" part is over. I have taken care of my children before and NOT gotten "it" I hav eeven taken care of them while I was pregnant and NOT gotten "it" I have only (knock on wood) caught it once from one of my children, and that was because (GRAPHIC) he "v" right in my face, literally. My husband was putting him to bed for me and leaned him over to me for me to kiss him goodnight, and well ............. I was sick my the mext morning. I felt like crap all day til about 3pm when I "v" After I did that, I was fine.

ANYWAY, sorry to ramble, but I think that if you took all the precaustions you could, you should be fine. Keep us posted.

Thank you both so much. Your kind words nearly made me cry in my exhausted state of mind. 8) I believe my son is on the road to recovery. It's been about 6 hours since he last v'd, and he slept soundly after that. I will give him a little gatorade soon and we'll see how his stomach handles it.

Thanks for reminding me that one sv in the house does not authomatically mean that everyone will be sick. In fact, like you Shiva, that has NEVER been the case for me either. You are also right Jennyleigh, it is possible to care for a v'g child and not contract it. I have done that since they were born. I think that even though a sv is very contagious, it still has to make its way into your mouth and digestive tract. And having a kid v* in your face would sure do that.

I know, as I am sure you all do, that if I were to get sick that I would handle it and come out alright on the other end. It is just incredibly comforting to know that it does not HAVE to be that way. Thank you both again.

BTW, I live in Nevada, so way out west. I agree that March 17 does seem late in the season. I have had kids get v* sick in the middle of summer too, like May and July, so who can make any sense of it.

My kids have had 3 v'ing episodes this year and I haven't gotten it from them, and they actually didn't catch it from each other!!!

And it is QUITE late for sv, in my opinion, but we were at Bible Study last night (as I posted in "We've been soooo exposed) and the daughter had it and then after we left, the mom got it! There is no rhyme or reason!

How is your son now? How are you?

How is your son and how are you?

How are you all doing. I hope to hear a good update later tonight or tomorrow. I hope all is well!!!!

rileyl you handled that so well! When I had both kids with me (oldest has moved out) and they had the stomach virus it wasn't fun at all. Thought that I was going to lose my mind. In all the years that they have been ill I was there, cleaning out the pail, washing them up etc. I freaked inside never showed my fear to them, and let me tell you I cried so much. I put myself on the crackers and water diet, constantly washing my hands (we didnt have the hand sanitizer) with soap and hot water, cleaned everything and I didn't get the flu from them. I don't know why? But I made sure my hands were washed all the time. Funny thing isI didnt catch the flu from them but from other people! When my friend lived below me her daughters had the flu, the youngest was 1 and you can imagine the mess! I thought for sure I washed my hands properly, I got the sv from them! I wasnt out and about so I knew it was from the girls. Being in bed for 3 days with constant nausea drove me nuts. Go figure I was around my sons constantly when they had it and didnt get it.

Thanks to everybody. I cannot tell you how much your support means to me. Well, as of Friday morning, my son is better. He actually was better Thursday mid-morning after being sick Wednesday evening and early morning Thursday. He was able to begin drinking a little then, and by last night was back to eating. This appears to have been a true 24 hour bug. Thank goodness.

I appear to be fine so far too. My guess is that this will go like the ones before it, and I will not catch it. I do feel a little bad that my phobia affects the way I care for my kids, though. I wish I did not feel compelled to take all these "precautions" when they are sick. Makes them feel like they have the plague or something. But the alternative means that it could run through the whole family. Not really sure that's a good outcome either. I wish I was laid back enough to just roll with whatever illness might come, but I am not. When they are older I hope to explain to them more about my phobia. That it is really my problem, and not a reflection of them or how much I love them. Right now, they just know I am freaky about it.

I'll keep you posted. You all have been wonderful!

Every time someone in my family has it EVERYONE gets it. It affects me different though. I USUALLY get only d* but have v*.

I have had things go several ways. Times when just one child was sick, all three if them, or one child and my hubby, or one child and me. I (blessedly) have been lucky and only caught it from them once. I always take the proper precautions. I dont think that necisarily means I am a freak or something, who really wants a "sv" anyway. I think it is smart to take those precautions ...............

Anyway, I am glad that your son is well and you are doing well too!!!!

What type of precautions do you take?