Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone-

I'm feeling really nauseous right now and panicky. I have IBS and have had a rough week with that but finally felt good today. I was able to eat normally all day and then after eating dinner, I felt gross and slightly nauseous. Then about 45 minutes after eating, I felt like I was about to throw up. That was 20 minutes ago and I've just been sitting in the bathroom trying to make the feeling go away by sipping water. What is the breathing technique to make it so that throwing up is almost impossible? I've never thrown up alone and am really scared, I've always had someone with me. Very scared. . .Edited by: sarahfl

ok...I have IBS too..and I feel very nauseaus after eating...try sipping hot boiled water...deep breath in hold it for 3 seconds release...slowly...if you have any anxiety drugs take one if you can...chew gum or something minty, get your mind off it! watch a movie ( cartoons for me usually ) try and relax...you can im me at [email protected] for msn, or littlemiss_2075@yahooca for my yahoo messenger...stay calm...

I have Ativan, but I am too scared to take it since I'm feeling nauseous. I'm sipping room temperature water and trying to keep swallowing. I keep burping, but I think it's because of the swallowing or maybe that's just wishful thinking. . . I'm going to see a new GI doctor where I live now (I move around a lot for work) in exactly a week because the IBS is starting to interfere a lot more than it used to. I'm going to talk to him about using Zofran since that has shown to help IBS-D and since I'm so scared of throwing up, the Zofran would prevent that. I hate feeling like this. I start bargaining with myself and it's so stupid. For instance, I'll say to myself, I'd rather have a migraine than feel this nauseous, or I'd rather have an IBS attack again today than feel nauseous.

i take ativan all the time! especially when im nauseaus thats what im on...i have found it helps! I really have...but its what will make you feel comfortable, try not to think of the meds or anything right now but getting your mind on something distarcting, undisturbing and fun...a tv show, crossword, try not to read scary posts about nausea on here...try and read these ones or p[ositive posts the last thing you need is your nerves to get worse i burp alot with ibs too...sipping water can make you burp, i get gassy when i sip water too, but it can also help! burping might be good you may be really loated especially from ibs and that will make you nauseaus...

I have been pretty bloated all week, especially the day after a flare up. For some reason, sipping water makes me feel better mentally, it also helps with the dry mouth from getting panicky. I just want this feeling to go away. I have a little cramp in my abdomen, probably from the stress right now! I don't want to become one of those people that only eat bread and crackers because they are scared of a situation like this. I enjoy food, especially good-tasting food and don't want this to interfere. Grr..

what did you eat today? and how long ago did you eat? and was it alot?

I didn't eat a lot today. I had oatmeal for breakfast, about a cup of pasta for lunch, a cup of tea and bread with butter on it and for dinner, half of a club sandwich and part of a sweet potato. I ate dinner at about 7:45pm, it's 9:27pm now. The nausea started at about 8:20pm. So glad I did not go out tonight! I had an IBS attack last Friday when I went out to a bar with some friends, definitely not fun! Especially since these are guy friends that don't know about my IBS.

ok...was the tea caffeinated? because that can cause nausea...and diarhea...i cannot stomaCH TEA MYSELF, I DONT GET SICK BUT I FEEL SICK... YOU HAVE BEEN NAUSEAUS FOR AN HOUR, YOU FOR SURE WOULD HAVE BEEN SICK BY NOW...OATMEAL FOR BREAKFAST, THAT MIGHT BE WHY YOU HAVE THE PAIN IN YOUR STOMACH sorry bout the caps...because of the fiber in it might be giving you some gas...i have found sometimes with ibs you dont have an attack for along time then you do...also even though its adifferent kind of nausea that ok...i get all different kinds which is scary, because when there is a new kind of nausea you figure THIS IS IT! but its not necessarily the case...

Oatmeal is usually a safe food for me, that's what I can eat when I'm having a flare up. It's usually just oatmeal, rice, Gatorade, toast, crackersand occasionally cereal. It could be the tea, it was caffeinated, but I can usually handle tea when I drink it with food later in the day. I had the tea at about 5:30pm and felt fine until after I ate dinner. It could be the tea. That's too bad because I enjoy the occasional cup of tea in the afternoon! I know what you mean about the different kind of nausea, it's like, "Here it goes, this is going to be the one that does it."

try switching th etea to green tea, or something, it goes ok with some peoples stromach, but i found if i wad having a flare up of ibs te would be worse, but green tea is supposed ot be super for you, but regular tea no good... thee are black current teas, i drink peppermint tea myself...but itds regualr that isnt great. thats good about the oatmeal though, i find its ok with me, but might give a few pains because it actually gets a flow going in your bowels lol.

I read that the oatmeal helps "bind" things up in your bowels so they aren't so loose! lol I drink English Breakfast tea, so I should probably switch to the green tea.

ya thats what i meant bind...but putting something in your bowels to make you go i guess...maybe i should try oatmeal for the diarrhea associated with ibs...

The nausea is slowly passing, but now that that's happening, I get scared that it'll come back! I remember reading on here a while back a way to breathe so that it makes it almost physically impossible to throw up. Something about fast, shallow breaths maybe? I seem to remember it saying that that makes it so that pressure doesn't build up in the abdomen or something.

wow, i hope whoever posted that will post it again, iw ould like to know that trick as well...thats good the nausea is passing, if it comes back you will have th knowledge that if you were going to be sick it would have happened by now...so hopefully it wont come back though...

I wish I could find that post. I remember it was all about the anatomy of throwing up and how certain breathing can stop it.

Hi, I know this is a bit late but... I have read that apparently there
    are some key things that have to happen to V* . Now I can't
    garentee this but I read that the reason emetophobes V* less is
    because when most people are about to, they breathe really deeply
    and this disturbs the diaphram which in turn disturbs the stomach..
    soooo...I think it was said that if you breathe quite shallowly it can
    help you to not V* as the stomach is not so disturbed... This might
    not be quite right but ill try n find the link.. xxxxx [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I also suffer IBS and it doesnt affect me as much as it did before, but when it does it DOES. Its always worse in mornings, I usually wake up early and I can just feel something wrong. I also lose my apetite and end up in such a panic because I think "god this is it!" Usually as the day goes on it feels better and I can start eating again.

I read somewhere that if you feel nauseated, if you breathe deeply and blow out your stomach at the same time, it will probably make you sick, because its disturbing your stomach. I don't know why but whenever I feel ill or think I do, I breathe like this constantly just to make sure its not going to happen! It's like I'm challenging my stomach in some weird way.

xx