Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hey everyone i'm a brand new member to this site and i have been reading around and i love how supportive everyone is of eachother...well i'm 24 years old and have suffered from emetophobia for about 10 years and i haven't v** since i was about 8 and i am terrified to even think about it.everytime i eat or am around anyone who even feels the least bit sick i have a major panick attack...i am 5'5 but only around 100lbs. i eat but only if i cook,i am terrified to go out to eat because i'm so scared i'll get food poisining.i am so sad because i really want to be a mother one day but i am so afraid i will get morning sickness and if i survive that my kids will get viruses and that terrifies me...my boyfriend knows about my problem but he doesnt understand how bad it is and i feel like i am going to be like this for the rest of my life...i just want to be better
    although angels sing of glory greater still,i live in sadness much against my will...

hey there - welcome to the site!
    have u tried any sort of therapy? if ur not into proffessional therapy, do u do any sort of meditations? i'm a big fan of them they are proven to work, there are two books that ppl have used on this site, one person cured herself of v* phobia (charlotte) she used a book called 'the power of your subconscious mind' by joseph murphy and i'm currently reading a book called 'anxiety and panic attacks - the cause and cure' but robert handly, which is very promising! if u want to try those just to take the edge off wat ur goin thru. have u been to ur gp about this? he can send u to a cbt therapist (cognitive behavioural therapist) to help u change the way u feel about being sick and to change your reaction and the panic u feel towards it!
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

Hi Noeygirl, exactly what you wrote is what would come out of my mouth. I too am 24 and would love to have a child, and I won't because of the morning sickness and viruses afterwards.

I feel for you completely, well I think most of us do, so your not alone, and it helps to talk about it. Most moms on here will tell you to never let the fear stop you from having kids and they're probably right, but with our irrational thinking, we can't seem to grasp what they're trying to tell us.

So welcome, and talk as much as you like cause we ARE here to listen and help!

Sonia

It really is a tough call being an emet and wanting kids. I hate to admit it but if I didnt have kids when I did ( before my emet came full force) I might not have wanted them in fear of morning sickness and kids being sick. But not everyone has morning sickness and it may just be nausea... and the neasea is a different feeling and does not last long. But just remember this... 20 years down the road you may be a different person then you are today and have gotten control of your fears but will regret not ever becoming a mommy. Don't let emet rule your life decisions... I know its very difficult but its something you cannot go back and change.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Noeygirl, I too am new to this site. I am a mother of 2, 43 years old, and unfortunately still suffering with this phobia. However, the hope I give is this: I did not have morning sickness. I survived both pregnancies with flying colors. I also feared getting pregnant for the same reason, but came to the point where I wanted children more than the fear of getting sick. I know that sounds impossible but it's the place I came to at 29 years old. And about the viruses the children get...yes, they get them and it's not easy. But I've actually gained some strength from being with my daughter (now 10) when she gets sick. She handles it so well, as well does my son (6). It hasn't taken the phobia away but in some weird sort of way it has helped.

Wishing youthe best, Jody

Noeygirl,

I am also new and know exactly what you are experiencing. My kids have recently come down with the flu and I have been shaking and unable to eat at all. It is the really bad kind of stomach virus too that lasts at least five days of V*ing and diarrhea. I feel like my heart is going to give out because I have lost 10 lbs. in seven days over it. But, I have to agree with the other girls; children are a blessing from the Lord and while life is full of these little inconveniences, they are well worth the "I love you mommy"s that you hear and the satisfying feeling you get in your heart when they wrap their little arms around your neck. This is one of the hardest things I have had to do aside from the three cesareans I had to endure having them. However, I am sure that when it is over, I won't think on it too much because life is too short for that. I will definitely pray for you, because I know how you feel and whatyou are going through.

Stephanie

Hi Noeygirl - welcome to the site! I don't have kids either, and I have always said that I never wanted them. BUT I think my biological clock or something has turned out because I can't wait to be a mother. I worry about morning sickness, too, but I've heard that morning sickness doesn't always happen. One of my best friends has two amazing, beautiful children and she never had morning sickness. Stories like that always inspire me.

Hi...this is an interesting string of conversation so I think I will include myself. Hi Noeygirl, welcome to the site. Its great to have people that understand what we all go through.
    I am 25 and haven't V since Feb 14 1992.Its been a long time but seems like yesterday. Anyway, all this talk about having kids is very interesting. I dont know how all you moms do it. Stomach flu after stomach flu with each child. EW I cant stand it. I dont think I am strong enough to handle it. Maybe its cause i dont have kids yet so dont really know the truly value of having them !!