Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I ate lunch yesterday in a town about 50 miles from my house (there on business). Ate half the sandwich, brought the other half home. My to-go box was sitting in my car the whole ride home (about an 1 1/4 hours). It was a BLT, so it has mayo and bacon. Think it is OK to eat???

I think it would be fine as long as it wasn't sitting in the sun and getting really hot. If you have any doubts, then don't eat it because you will worry yourself to death about it!

I definitely would not eat it if I was you either. I have tortured myself over left out food and it is just not worth it.

Stephanie

Oh, I know I WILL worry about it but I HATE it because I always go to this restaurant whenever I am in town because they have this AMAZING blt - they use fried green tomatoes for the tomato part of the sandwich and have this delicious thick wheat bread. Anyhoo, if any of you are ever in Alabama, I highly recommend!!!!

I agree, if you are feeling nervous now about eating the sandwich, think how you will feel after you eat it. I am sure it is fine though. They say that you should refrigerate leftovers within in 2 hours, and you are well within in that time. So if you really like the sandwich, eat it, its fine, but if your worried I say toss it.
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

I was pondering on that question too last weekend at my daughter's B-day party! I had made a huge bowl of potatoe salad, it is was so yummy....but then it sat out for over an hour, and my mom and hubby swore it would be no good anymore, but then a friend said it was fine! Gosh...I dunno.

More than likely, your sandwich is ok! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Just look at the mayo and smell it. Charlotte
    Spring is here!

Anything with mayo that has sat out for two or more hours is not good at all. My husband use to work in food service and reminds me of this all the time. I think it is better to be safe than have to deal with the possibility of falling ill just over a few tasty bites. Then again, I am a serious emet, so I take proper precautions as often as I can.

Stephanie

its probably fine! Thats really not true about mayo going bad after 2 hours. I take sandwiches to lunch everyday, with mayo on them, and sometimes its a good 4hours before i eat them ( actually its about 4 hours on most days).I have never gotten sick from them. My boyfriend does the same.

the 2 hour rule really only applies for food at picnics, where food is left in the sun for too long. It would have been fine.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

"Miracle Whip" salad dressing is different than real mayo. Real mayo definately cannot stay out for very long. From what I understand, Miracle Whip has less egg and more preservatives??

I guess I wouldn't worry too much if the mayo wasn't actual real mayo...but if it was, I wouldn't eat it. Charlotte
    Spring is here!

I just have always heard, that any "cold" or "hot" food that is left out at room temperture for over 2 hours has a potential for bacteria growth. It probably doesn't happen much if it's over 2 hours give a take a couple hours, but any food that must remain hot or cold must be kept at the proper temperature, or bacteria can grow. Leaving food out to long at room temperature is a common way to get food poisioning. And the only way that I know this, is I made Thanksgiving dinner this past year, and EVERY website I visted stated that leftovers should never be left out for over 2 hours. And that food poisioning from leftovers ismost common during the holidays.
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

I go by the 2 hour rule most of time. It depends on what it is.

i only use real mayo in my sandwiiches.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

When the Mayo is no longer visable, then you probabaly shouldn't go there. I had a BLT in a hot/cold bag for a softball tournament last week and took it out of the fridge ta 10:00am and ate it at 6:00pm, but the mayo was not on it. The bacon and stuff didnt make me sick though.

If you got it cold, then I would say you are fine. If you got it warm, then I would say you are still most likely fine unless it was like in direct sunlight and uncovered.

Lauren