Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I don't understand with all these new strains. Where in the hell do they come from? First you hear that it is in Quebec and now it is in one of the top hospitals in Ontario. It freaks me out when I hear of new strains, the panic mode goes up. I know that it is in hospitals around the world but when there are deaths with this I become edgy. How do you know that it isn't in your local hospital? If you don't know what this strain is here is a story from the news. Madisonsmom you are a RN have you heard of this???
    <H3>Deadly C. difficile strain hits T.O. hospital</H3>

< = =text/>
    var byString = "";
    var sourceString = "Canadian Press";
    if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) {
    document.write(byString + ", ");
    } else {
    document.write(byString);
    }

Canadian Press

TORONTO — A strain of C. difficile that has been blamed for more than 100 deaths in Quebec has been found in patients in Toronto's leading cancer hospital.

Dr. Michael Gardam, head of infection control at the University Health Network, said 10 cases of what he called the Montreal outbreak strain have been found in Princess Margaret Hospital, one of three facilities in the network.

"I think it was totally predictable. I mean, the bacteria don't stop at the border," Gardam said Thursday.

"It was going to get here and I'm not surprised that we might be the first ones to talk about it, because our hospital gets so many patients from all around the country."

The cases were identified retrospectively. Gardam was informed this week by Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory that DNA fingerprinting of three C. difficile isolates from Princess Margaret matched the Montreal strain. The isolates were sent to the national lab as part of a study the Public Health Agency of Canada is conducting to see how far and fast the Montreal strain is spreading.

One of the 10 patients died. The remaining nine are no longer in hospital, Gardam said.

But he said it's likely the highly virulent strain remains in hospital, and it is also probably lurking in other facilities in the city as well.

"I'm assuming it's elsewhere. There's no reason to suspect that we're the only place that's ever going to have this."

That's because Gardam believes the strain was brought into Princess Margaret last fall in two or three patients who were admitted from long-term care facilities.

"We know we didn't give it to them."

From those patients it spread to the other cases within the hospital, he said.

Clostridium difficile is a bacterium that can be carried in the intestine without causing disease. But when people who are carrying it are given certain types of antibiotics, the normal bacterial balance of the intestine can be destroyed, giving C. difficile a chance to thrive. As well, people in hospital on antibiotics who come in contact with C. difficile spores can become infected.

Infection leads to acute diarrhea which be hard to treat. In some cases, it can even lead to a condition called toxic megacolon, which can cause death.

The strain or strains behind the outbreaks in hospitals in Montreal and Sherbrooke, Que., have been persistent and have caused more serious disease than previously seen strains of C. difficile.

Gardam said that now that he knows the Montreal strain was afflicting patients in one of his hospitals, he can understand a change in the pattern of disease he's been seeing in the recent past.

"I would say anecdotally over the last three months we have started to see patients who are getting very bad disease, which is something we didn't see a year ago."

After getting the word from the national lab, the University Health Network laboratory went back through its database of C. difficile fingerprints lookin

I am retyping this...I lost it all before UGH!

Yes...I have heard of it. I have taken care of many people with it. C-diff is in everyone's intestines. When it comes out then it can be toxic.

C-diff is nothing like a stomach virus. C-diff is something that must be treated with antibiotics usually Flagyl. C-diff is found in the intestines and it a normal flora (friendly bacteria). When someone takes antibiotics it can wipe out our friendly bacteria with in turn can cause diarrhea. If C-diff is involved it releases a toxin and can irritate the colon and cause abdominal cramps, in some cases fever, and explosive, uncotrollable, horrible smelling diarrhea. It has its own smell and you can tell when someone has it by the smell. It is contagious, so we put people in contact isolation. This is where you wear gloves, of course, gowns and face shield. Not everone wearsface shieldsbut I do because let me tell you...I have seen unpleasant things happen to people not wearing a face shield. KWIM??

I have seen this in the assisted living home I used to work in. Only 2 people had it and it never became an outbreak. NEVER. I know in hospital it is the #1 cause of nosocomial infections (which means 'hospital aquired')

It is in health care facilities. I really dont think its possible for it to go in the community...I guess anything is possible but very unlikely. REMEMBER this is very treatable. Evidentally these strains are getting hard to treat...they need to use very strong antibiotics and this seems to be the issue inCanada.

Anyone who takes antibiotics is at risk of developing c-diff. The very young and elderly are at higher risk.

I gave a patient Rocephin shots (she was 101 yrs old) and she got massive d*...well it turned into c-diff. I called the doc and she prescribed Flagyl (antibiotic)

Believe me...I am an emetophobic and scared to death of stomach viruses. I have taken care of people with c-diff and never caught. It just stinks really bad. I was talking to another nurse and I told her about this and this is what she typed:
    <DIR>

people test + for c diff all the time but if there's an outbreak it's probably because there are not proper handwashing procedures being used.

</DIR>

"Clostridium difficile is a bacterium that can be carried in the intestine without causing disease. But when people who are carrying it are given certain types of antibiotics, the normal bacterial balance of the intestine can be destroyed, giving C. difficile a chance to thrive. As well, people in hospital on antibiotics who come in contact with C. difficile spores can become infected. "

Dont worry Rhonda. If you have any more questions let me know. I typed a whole thing on it before and lost all of it...UGH! This one was shorter.

As a healthcare worker you must wash your hands and following contact isolation precautions.Edited by: madisonsmom

Oh yea forgot to add...

I noticed it is in an oncology part of the hospital. This can be because radiation also wipes out friendly bacteria causing it too!

disgusting. that's pretty much all i have to say about that whole thing.

take me away, far away from it.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Thanks Debbie!

I live in Montreal and have never heard of this outbreak....Weird, very weird...

I re-read the post and I feel like I may have played down what is going in Canada. Hopefully no one will take it that way. I assume they have come across a strain of c-diff that is difficult for them to treat.

I really do not understand how there is such a bad outbreak. I am going to ask a doctor I know tomorrow about it![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I'm very curious, let me know!

I've had C-diff and i was treated w/ flagyl. The antibiotic was so strong that my liver and pancreas levels went sky high. Because of that infection, i can't take antibiotics unless its absolutely necessary because the c-diff could come back. Also, my liver is so sensitive to anitibiotics now, that i get terrible nausea. I had to have surgery several months ago, and my stomach is just getting back to normal. I hope the outbreak doesnt hit the US!!
    &lt;a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

terifiedgirl I found the Public Health Agency of Canada link, it explains everything www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/c-difficile/

babygap5 oh my what a horrible experience you had. I am glad that you are getting back to feeling normal. These diseases scare me. What scares me the most is the not knowing if the hosptial has any of these diseases. I hear stories of the instruments they use for surgery are not cleaned properly and the patient ends up with life threatening infections. I have got to stop watching these health shows.

Thats a good article. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]