Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am really a newbie. I have been searching for a name for what I have and its been years since I have been able to find anything

I have treated like I am a freak or a crybaby by my parents and brothers and sisters. I have one aquaintence that has the same fear as me and thats been comforting, but putting a name to this fear feels like a weight has been lifted off of my chest.

I avoid situations where people may be sick. I refuse to go on a cruise due to motion sickness likelihood. My mother says "oh you only feel sick for the first day" I try to explain to her that that ONE day (or even 1 minute of sickness) would ruin my WHOLE trip. She doesn't get it.

I have finally found people that get it. Thank you for making me not feel like I am being a crybaby when I have my panic attacks. My mother still makes fun of me (in a nice way, I mean) for waking her up at 3:00am if I was feeling sick. Even up until I was 22 years old.

I am 27 years old and I live in Toronto, Canada.

Can anyone else pinpoint when this phobia began for them? I have two ideas in my head, but I am not sure if these occasions are what started my fear, or just made it worse.

Also, any suggestions on how to stop/curb this phobia? Its stops me from doing lots of things in life that I would enjoy.

Welcome to this site, we are all a caring family here since we know how we all feel. it's great that you have a fellow emet as a close friend to lean on... it must be very comforting for you both. Unfortunately this phobia does handicap our lives, being the only focus we have everyday is how to keep IT from happening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome! This is a wonderful bunch of people here...you will like it!

I developed this phobia taking care of my son when he was 18months old (he is 6 now) and he had a stomach virus twice in a matter of a month. He had it so bad that we had to help be able to keep down food after the virus was gone. I wont go into it now...its too long. I was fine while taking care of him then and even caught it from him but ever since then I am so terrified of getting a stomach virus and freak when my kids get sick. It came on and I had no control over it.

Welcome again!

heya,

welcome to our family. we would never call you a cry-baby here. this phobia is like living in hell. if everyone could live one day in one of our shoes, their opinoin would dramatically change i think.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Welcome~ Dont worry you arent a cry baby (believe me I cry way too much ^^ and no one calls me that) Glad you found the site. I was so happy as well. Hmm..I think an argument that my parents had over me about who'll take care of me. (I had the dreaded stomach virus at the time) when I was four years old. I think that argument frightened me alot. I think that's it because, I think i'm more afraid of being a burden. Ehehe. Hope your family will understand better now.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Thanks again all of you.

I wil show my mom this site when she gets here. I have to show her that its not all in my mind. I think that when I used to tell her that I think I have a mild phobia she thought I was overreacting.

Now I have proof, even if only for myself, to show myself that its normal and okay to sometimes feel this way. Even if mine seems mild compared to some stories I have read about on here, its still real and scary as my mom's fear of spiders is.

WELCOME! Nice to meet you. I'm Allie. You will get so much good friendly and understanding support here.

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

Welcome, I am from Toronto Canada too. Where are you part the west end, east end?

This site is great and welcome to it ! We are all here for morale suport

Welcome to the site!! I have had this phobia for quite some time and I, too, was elated to find out that it really was a phobia, that it even had a name, and that I was NOT alone. For the longest time I just thought I was weird to have this phobia, but then I realized I am really no different from someone with a fear of heights or something ............. My family is understanding of me, most of the time. Although, I know that they dont understand the phobia and how much it affects me. Maybe when your mom sees this site and reads some of the info here, she will be more understanding of you and how you deal with this phobia.

Welcome! I'm Anya...nice to meet you!

I've had this phobia since I was born (or at least since I was about two). I think the reasons taht it started very early was because when I was about six months I had a problem with my esophagus and v*ed multiple times a day for a few months. also, my dad got a disease in India called geelambare (sp?) that made him paralyzed for a short while, and has a rare form of hepatitis called big cell. The medication he went on made him V* as a side effect. all this happened when I was quite young, so I have a general fear of myself v*ing and one of my dad v*ing. I think that these fears are generally caused by some kind of traumatic event, even if it is not known.

I am so glad that you can prove to your family that this phobia is very real..now they can take this seriously and help you! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

WOW - I love Toronto - especially the CN Tower - u can see the whole city - perfect.

Welcome to the site - as with most newbies - im sure your experiencing a mixed feelings of relieve and disbelieve - that there are SO many of us who can relate 101% to the feelings u will be having ref emet.

happy posting
    ems x