Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hard to cope

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] i hate those times when u just feel 'thats it ive had enough' im definately feelin that right now, i have to make a decision on my therapy which wud make me v*, im really sick at the mo an im at the doctors constantly, scared to go incase they do tests (so scared of them) an too scared not to go incase what i have is gunna make me v*! anxiety is one horrible evil viscious circle an there is absolutely no way out (well it feels that way) altho i know there is, but when u feel like EVERY odd is stacked against u, all u can really do is sit an hope for a miracle....anyone got any advice on how to get back on top or take my mind off all of this?
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

Hey Faith I know how you feel its like no one really understands...and its all a vicious circle...anxiety=naseau= "ithink im going to barf" the cycle has to be changed at some point...but its hard

Faith-marilyn:

Yeah. Life must go on. It is very hard because we live in a world full of germs and viruses. Just remember to ALWAYS wash your hands before you eat, after you use the restroom, and whenever you handle small children or their diapers. We all need to change our way of thinking and occupy our minds with something else. All of my kids have just gotten over the stomach flu and I am also hoping for a miracle that my husband and I don't get it. I have prayed about it and I am trying to trust that God will protect us, but those thoughts still creep in and I can't eat or sleep. You are definitely not alone. I know that probably doesn't help, but you can take control of this. Our minds are very powerful and we can control what happens to our bodies with them. Just remind yourself that you will not vomit and nausea will not result in the act. I will pray for you. Please pray for me too.

Stephanie

Faith - i know its hard - we are all in our own little places with emet right now - some of us further than others but all personally fighting this hell.

Im sure ur feelings of despair will be shortlived - ur a strong young woman who can definately get thro this temporarly glitch.

What type of therapy is this that is going to make u v*? I dont know if that would help wld it? is that the type of therapy u want to endure?

try and focus on u and what u feel - logically - do u fell sick RIGHT NOW - think about the logical reaons as to why u wld actually be sick - most of the time im sure u wont find any!! that always calms me down when i try and force my mind into a 'logical' mindset. i know its hard but keep persevering.

hugs
    ems x

thanx for your support guys, im feelin okay today - the last few days have been really long as im feelin ill still an i cant get to a doctor till tuesday at the earliest so im just hopin that i can get thru it!
    happy easter an thanku for your support again xxxxx
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

I've gone through that cycle and it is a real bitch, and the only way I got out of it was taking my ativan every night because thats when my anxiety would hit, and I kept trying to tell myself over and over again that we do not v* everyday, and fearing that day to come is insane, and that I will only fear v* when I really do feel N*, and thats it....

And slowly slowly I started changing my mind a little bit and for right now I seem to be doing better but when I do feel sick, I still run home or don't leave home, but on the days that I feel fine, I do what I need to do to live but I always carry my Ativan and Gravols with me, for security.

Everyone needs to hear this, I think (who's in therapy): YOU are in the driver's seat in your therapy! If you don't feel like you are, and you feel out of control, or you don't trust your therapist FIND ANOTHER ONE...HONESTLY! I can't beleive how much difference this makes when you have a therapist who is really really good verses some of the idiots out there.

If you're even the slightest bit anxious about the therapy itself, this is excellent fodder for the session. There's no need to do exposure, EMDR or whatever in that session CUZ YOUR'E ALREADY INTO THE FEELINGS. So you just talk about that, and work with it, and hopefully learn to be soothed or to soothe yourself or feel cared for, or some combination.

As long as the client is aroused in anxiety, there's something to work on that day. NO NEED TO TRY STUFF THAT FREAKS YOU OUT MORE. That's just counter-productive. TALK to your therapist AT ALL TIMES about your CURRENT feelings. REFUSE to do things that will make you more anxious than 5 on a scale of 0-10 where 0 is ABSOLUTELY NO ANXIETY WHATSOEVER and 10 is too much to cope with (where you'd run from the room). Anything higher than 5 will only overwhelm you and not help in treatment anyway.

My current therapist and I are working on just the amount of anxiety aroused betwen 0 and 2! (Since I've been "cured" I can't get any more anxious than about 3 or 4 no matter what). But he wants me to feel the difference between 0 and 2 and be able to "play with" the feelings to get them to go higher or lower or whatever, so I become so in control of them that they go away completely. THIS is sanity. Freaking a client out in the upper range around 8 or 9 is just stupid.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thats super advice SAGE! exactly - we are the ones in control - and it shouldnt be a therapist dictating what to do if it doesnt feel right and makes you feel even more scared.

ems x

(((((((((hugs))))))))))))

just so you know i'm not ignoring your post... i'm just at a loss with what to say considering i feel EXACTLY the same as you =|

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

hey hun, you know im feeling the same as you right now. But just remember all the things you say to me all the time that help me throuh the hard times. Youre a hell of a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for. I just know you can get through this, and im here whenever you need to or want to talk. Thankyou for supporting me though xxx

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

thanku to everyone who has given me some very wise words ) im getting back on track now, i guess i was just having a moment! thanx again, ill keep u posted xxx