Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Since I started coming to this site a few weeks ago, I feel like I'm addicted to it. Reading and writingposts brings me so much comfort. When itappears very few people are posting, I can't help butfeel slightly abandoned and I don't even really know any of you. I'mactually wondering if this is a bad thing and if I need to come to the site less so that I don't grow too dependent on it. I also seem to be more focused on my emet than ever before. Has anyone else felt this way? Maybe its just because I finally decided to face it in therapy and it has to get worse before it gets better. What do you all think?

Well I started feeling that same way when i first came on the site. I've taken a month off and I think it's done me some good. I mean i'm not telling you to take off but it made me focus on it too much and was making me worse (its no one's fault!). If it does that to me again, i'll come off for a break but i'd never leave. I love this site. It gives me comfort in someways andmakes mefearful in others.I admit, I was addicted to it before, but now i have some control lol.. And about the therapy thing, i'm not so sure ^_^ sorry...
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I was the same way too. My emet was really bad for a while, and I was coming to this site about 20 times a day. I have really slowed down, but I think its because everyone here helped me with my emet. I just find that coming here is very comforting and supportive, and I feel that I have become part of a family, and I like to help others when they have concern. I do think that it is great that you decided to go to therapy. I hope that it helps, and you can get control of this horrible fear.

Michele
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

im sure its possible to become dependant on the site, but its better than having nobody to talk to when you need to.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

wow 20 times Mitch - that is quite alot! But in my opinion i think it depends how much each one of us here needs to use the site - and once a day or 20 times depends on hoo u interpret it- do whats right for YOU! if the site is helping and the support you find here is good then why not come here? Just like u say Mitch - the times when u did come often - they have helped u NOW and u dont need to come so often - so with ref to SpinneChick - i dont think u shld worry too much abt coming here - just focus on the site as a positive and how it can help u.

ive been visiting the site for nearly 4 years now and yes, i guess i felt dependent too at one point - but ive learnt to come here now when i really need to - and when i dont, to come here and be there for others who might not be at the stage i am now with emet - its all different - we are all at different stages.

ems x

I'm not DEPENDANT on the site, but like you,I used to feel abandoned when no one answered my post when i was really freaking out...it kind of made my emet worse. But, then I realized that not as many people were on as much as me (lol) and that I had to be patient. So don't worry about coming here "too much"! Just do what you feel is right for you and your body.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I went through the same thing as you when I first started coming here, and someone made me realize that even though you don't get any responses or very few, people are reading and are sympathising, but sometimes have no comforting words for you, and so now I write when I need to and that alone helps me very much.

And I think your coming on often will change after awhile, this is something new to you.

I agree with terifiedgirl,mitch4133,spilled_milk,jptk,wing and ejb199, I was the same way.

I was the same way... I'd come here multiple times a day, at work andthey questioned my internet usage and I had like 1000 hits on the site in a month! When I couldn't get on a few days ago, I think it did me good. I'm feeling good, spring is here, I'm in therapy.... things are good. It's such a comfort to come and know there are people who are just like you and understand our situation, but for me, it became one of my obsessions and I felt helpless when I couldn't get on. I don't like feeling that way... I really have no point, just to say, I think we've all experienced a dependence on this site.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Thanks for your responses. You have all given me a better perspective on my use of this site.

-Nicole

I feel guilty lately that I can't come here every day or two and answer posts and help folks out. It helped me so much when I first found the site four years ago. Then I left for a while - a couple of times, while I was in intensive therapy. Cuz reading a lot of stuff made it worse at times. Then once I achieved my goal for being "cured" I came back and answered questions and stuff every day. Now I try to make it here once a week.

So it's not personal! I'm just swamped with finishing my internship, working full-time and writing a book

Cheers everybody!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

when i first came across this site i'd be on it everyday as many times as i could.... i would check it obsessively i really would.

now... it's completley different. i dont have the time anymore so i come on when i can to read the posts but i very rarely find the time to sit down and write back e.t.c.

but yes, at the beginning, i was extremely dependent on this site... i guess i'm just saying, it'll die down. at least it did for me.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN: