Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone.

I am sure a lot of you know Ativan, but for those of you who don't it's a mild sedative that helps your whole body relax. Honestly, its the only thing that helps me during a vicious panick attack. Of course, I am not endorsing the use of sedatives, I just know there are some real bad cases on this site and sometimes it's just really essential to take the edge off. Anyone else here take Ativan and if so do you find it has the same affects on you with dealing with anxiety?

I have taken Ativan for anxiety and panic...and YES it work absolute wonders. I only take it if I feel I have to. It has saved me from panic attacks for sure.

I just love the way it makes me calm !!!!!!!!!!!!!

see, i'm the complete opposite. just having ativan in a room with me is enough to give me panic attacks. Not so much of fun....

I take ativan to my cupboard has 2 bottles of them but instead of using them right now I am using the herbal rescue remedy and that works wonders to.

I personally am on
    Ratio Fluxotine (aka Prozac), 30mg. My Mom, however, is on Lorazempam,
    20mg, and has been for at least 5 years. I believe that it is very
    useful, as she has taken it and not since has she had a panic
    attack.</font>

I love my ativan and don't leave home without it, and I have the Rescue Remedy and someone told me it didn't work and tasted nasty, so I guess maybe I should try it out???!

you get used to the taste, I put it right under my tongue, on the box it said you can put it in water or juice. When I bought the remedy I noticed they have cream to. I guess it depends on the person on how medication works.

sunshine16, your mom takes 20mg. wow that would knock me out for days! My lorazapam is only 5mg!!

I've never taken it but if I were going to take anything that'd be it. Doesn't it have an anti-emetic effect as well?
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

if you are talking about the remedy stuff SimplyMe yes it does. I think when I go to town I am going to check out the cream.

Ativan is a life saver...it just makes me feel as though I am floating on a cloud...and I just could care less what is going on at the time I am taking them...I take a real low dose...so I don't get too dependent on them...But it does work wonders for my anxiety and panic attacks...Kat

Does anyone know what it is called in the UK - does it have the same name?

What are the rescue remedies called - are they the Bach ones?

ems x

Yes they are the Bach. The address on the box it says Bach Flower Remedies LTD is in UK. Did you know that ems?

yes i think so [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    i knew of the bach remedies - but are they actually effective?

ems
    x

Ontario girl, I've never heard of rescue remedy before this site, that's interesting. i was actually talking about Ativan. I've heard that it not only helps anxiety but also is anti-emetic????
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

this remedy stuff...is it a pill or powder or what? i've never heard ofor seen it before

Rescue Remedy comes in liquid with a dropper but I noticed they have creams to. I find the Remedy helps my nerves when my anxiety is climbing and also helps when I am feeling nausea. The taste can be a little tough but you get used to it. You find it in a health food store, it is herbal medicine.

BOY could I use an Ativan!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I have used Ativan for "emergencies" as well. It is also an anti-emetic, yes. But it is HIGHLY addictive and also causes temporary amnesia, so not to be taken lightly!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temporary amnesia??? Could you explain more?

I was introdued to ativans 5 years ago, and in those 5 years I don't think I've even taken 30 of them, but maybe its because I know I can't depend on them and am afraid to get addicted to anything. I take a half only when I really need it and boy does it ever help and I'm so happy to have them.

I guess it depends on the type of person you are with adiction, I could have taken them for weeks at a time of horror, but I chose not to and fight instead.

after reading online - i am going to try the following to help with my effexor withdrawals - they might help u too tho since they will hopefully combat dizziness and nausea

one is homeopathic remedy - NUX VOMICA - has any one tried it? the other is benedryl - antihistamine - more for effexor withdrawal - i cant see HOW tho....

ems x