Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Bad Turkey??

As most of you know, today is easter (yay), so my parents made an easter dinner. In it was turkey, which I really love. Well, my mom made the meal, and she is a vegetarian so she is not used to cooking meat very much...usually all she will do is turkey burger for my dad and me. She was making the turkey breast, we all sat down to dinner, and...my dad goes over and says, "wow, that looks a little rare!" My dad NEVER says anything is rare...he likes everything extremely rare. when we got the meat it seemed pink, and my mom put the rest of it back in. Well, I didn't want to hurt my mom's feelings, so my dad and I ate every bite. Now I'm scared that my dad and i will get sick! Do you think that would happen? How rare does turkey have to be to be dangerous?

Oh, happy easter everyone!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

the turkey my mom makes is always a bit pinkish. It doesnt mean anything, really. you can tell its cooked by the texture, if its rubbery, dont eat it, if its tender and falling of the bone, its fine.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

i could be wrong, and im not sure this would help after the fact but isnt turkey an internal temperature of 160 degrees celcius?

Well, our turkey had
    a bad year this year. My grandma, myself, my cousin AND my Aunt both
    got d* and n* from it (which I am attempting to cope with as we speak)
    So you're not alone as far as turkey problems go! I absolutly LOVE and
    DIE for turkey, however its always a bit harsh on me.</font>

*hugs* thats no fun. i hope you feel better soon

When did you eat it. Are you feeling ok now?

I believe the temp should be 160...I always want my meats to fall apart that way I know they are done.

Hope your ok!

Turkey is always pink after you cook it. Thats how mine was when I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 16 people!!! Don't worry. As long as the juices run clear, and the turkey "peels" like string cheese, it is cooked. I am sure it was fine, and the temp should be between 160-180 inside. Try not to worry, and enjoy the good meal your mom cooked. Keep us posted!!
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

Well I feel fine, so it was a false alarm. I'm not sure about the temperature though, lol! Because the second time they put it in it had JUST reached 160...so they cooked it up to 175. So that means the part I ate first was below 160. But it's okay, because I'm okay. Phew!

P.S. Laura I feel so bad for you! Are you okay now?

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

D* and n* is no fun. I am glad to hear that you are fine, but I am sorry about Laura not feeling well. Yuck! Hope you feel better soon.

Stephanie