Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Therapy was a disaster today. I was really looking forward to being one step closer to my cure. Instead, while I was givingthe therapist the historyof myemet, I began to feel really queasy and I thought I might v. The feeling lasted with me the whole hour I was on the subway home. To add to the nightmare, this therapist does not think he's right for me. He said he couldn't handle looking at exposures himself and suggested I just learn how to cope when I have children or take anti-depressants for my phobia. No way. I need to find someone who can help me with this before I have kids and need to help them when they are sick. Plus, itsmaking me really anxiousto do other things I should think are fun - like getting on a plane togo to my friend's wedding in San Diego. (I live in New York).

-Nicole

Not to be discouraging.. I actually mean to encourage you to keep trying. It seriously took me TEN years to find the therapist that was right for me. But trust me when I say that it was very much worth it. She is a wonderful psychologist and I am thrilled to have found her. Just keep trying. I know it's discouraging, but you will find the person who is willing and able to help you if you keep trying.
    \"This too shall pass\"

its true. just because one therapist doesnt work, just keep trying. alot of people have to go through more than one to find someone who fits. remember you are lookign for someone you feel safe enough to trust with some pretty big things. that means their personality has to be a pretty decent mach to your and that is going to take some finding. think of it like finding a enw good friend. not everyone is going to fit the job description just ebcause you want them to. a like a new friend, taking the time to find someone who fits right in your life is well worth the wait.

You should keep looking for a therapist, there will be someone out there who can help you. At least you found out right away that it wasnt gonna work with that therapist, i mean, you could have wasted lots of time seeing that therapist before realising it aint gonna work
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Don't give up, look for another therapist. Doctors are out there and you will find one who can help you.

Oh no, search again. This therapist is not the right one if he can't handle looking at pictures and isn't wanting to work toward a cure with you.

No kidding! In my paper on the top of the treatments thread about how to find a therapist, and the other one about "info for professionals" I talk about finding someone who can handle looking at vomit pictures, videos, etc. Although I don't believe an emet would ever vomit in session (it's just anxiety telling you you might), nevertheless you wouldn't want a therapist who would get anxious HIMSELF when you say "I feel like I might get sick" or whatever. His anxiety would get to you, and make things worse. Kinda like when one wildebeast sees a lion and gets anxious, the anxiety goes through the whole herd, even though the others haven't seen the lion. Anxiety is "contageous". YOu need a therapist who's calm as a cucumber no matter what happens.

Keep looking! Read my print-outs!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yeah defenitely see if u can find someone else. it was good of the therapist to be honest with you... but you need someonewho IS able to do this exposure stuff..

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

yes - at least he was honest - he could have just strung u along for ages and u wouldnt be getting anywhere!

i know Sage always says that it may take time and lots of diff therapists before you find the right one - te one u click with! so def take her advice!

ems x