Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Has anyone else heard of an increase of cases of the stomach virus. I am just a little nervous because I keep hearing about it...not on here but other boards. It is like a replay of January and February.

Please tell me its just ME!

I wish I could. I don't know about your area, but that's all I am hearing about here, and I am hearing about lots of it. However, I am in Ohio.. Maybe it's just now heading this way. I'm notreal sure how that stuff happens. I just want to scream!!!!!!!

My daughter is sick, but with a cold, not the sv. Thankfully.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Oh yea...thats right. I am in Maryland. I have not heard of anyone here but I just keep reading about it. That is what happened a couple of months ago and then it started around here. I would assume it wont be that bad because its starting to warm up.............I HOPE!

im in canada but around here we have been hearing about nasty bug going around. funny thing about this bug is it seems to be mutating constantly so its coming up a little different in everyone. my gf had it, she lost her voice and then had a decent cold, her mother had it, she had a decent cold, touch of a sv, her son had it, he had no cold, more sv (but he also has pancreatitis so that probably played a big factor) and finally i managed to catch it from them as i am always at their house yet i had no cold, no sv, but also no voice for 3 days. go figure...

It is strange how it effects people differently and how it is mutating so quickly. I just wish it would stop. Are we doing something to cause the mutation? Any microbiologists out there???

It is warming up here as well. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 degrees! Of course I have to work 12 hours. YUK!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Well, it is warming up here and so far so good on the "sv's" I havent (knock on wood) heard of anything. Usually, though, this time of year is good around here. I havent heard my ma in law or my bro and sis in law say anything about any "sv's" and their children are in public school here and my ma in law works for DEFACS, they usually know when its circulating.

I really have not heard of anything locally. I just keep hearing of it in these little kids on this other board.

It a deja vu.........like back January all the people on the board were getting it. But they are from all parts of the US, overseas, etc.

Leigh I am moving to your state!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Got some room for more[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I haven't heard of a sv around here only the common cold. I don't think I want to know. My nurse practitioner that I saw on Monday was telling me that she called her family members and told them not to come for Easter supper that the kids were sick, thank god someone has their head on right!! I didn't ask her with what but I think it was the influenza, Janie was coughing a bit and her daughter called and she told her to take some honey syrup for her cough. When I leave her office all the time she gives me small bottle of hand sanitizer, I will never run out of that stuff!

Lord, I hope it isn't going around again!! But then I think there was that kid at the OB appt. last week and my friend Chastity was sick a week and a half ago (I wonder if her's was a food related thing, though because she has 3 kids and none of them or her husband got sick). Please Lord, let this terribly long and scary season end soon, and don't let there ever be another one this bad!!

I know...I am SO very sick of hearing about it.

Well I need to take this in consideration:

The other boards have young toddlers that are getting sick first. Some of the parents get some do not. Some are in daycare, some arent. They do have their playgroups, Easter egg hunts, birthday parties, etc. ALL of which are around lots of young kids. Young toddlers put their fingers in their mouths all the time. It doesnt matter what they touch. I know Madison does. She's only one! So that is probably why I am hearing about it on these boards.

Now see[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I am proud of myself for putting that into perspective![img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] I made myself feel better![img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

You know, madisonsmom, I was thinking with the same mentality today on the way home from visiting my family. The twins that were sick were premies and have low immune systems. Both of my uncles that were sick will eat anything and everything, so who knows if it was a food thing or not. The mother and son who were sick for a week, they also eat the same food, could've been something food related, and the woman who just got back from vacation could have also had bad food in vegas, I mean.. that's definitely been heard of before.

Oh.. I forgot, there was also a guy at work out with it last week. But, I think a lot of times people just say stomach flu to get out of work because it lasts one day and most people recover quickly. In order to play hookey with a cold, one would have to fake sniffles for 5 days. When people call off from work with it, I usually try to assume they are faking. It helps make me feel better anyway.

But, I really do think that so often when people are sick, they just immediately assume they have a virus, when so often it could be food related, stress related or even related to other health problems.

We just have to hang in there. Things will get better.
    \"This too shall pass\"

lets see If I can explain this without confusing myself, Im in my first year of biology ( as a minor) but Ive learned a few things. I;ll try to explain this but its kind of hard to understand...

guys, I dont think it is a case of a bug mutating. the synptoms of a virus are your body defending itself against it, and trying to heal itself. the bug doesn't cause symptoms, your body causes symptoms when it fights against it.

for example, a cold doesn't cause a runny nose. ar unny nose is caused by your body trying to get rid of the infection, as the same witha fever, and unfortunatly, V*ing.A stomach virus is different, and it irriates the lining of the GI tract, and your body fights it by getting rid of whats there,

not everyone's body will react the same way to a particular virus, Thats why I think the virus isn't mutating, don't worry.

you might just get a sore throat and stuffy nose with a cold, due to your tonisils fighting the infection. another person may feeel sick to their stomach, because people fight viruses differently.Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

thats a really good point. i never thought about it that way but it makes sense. i would get the throat thing because im really prone to that part of my body bieng less than happy when as my gf brother has pancreatitis so it would make sense that if something in his body is going to feel yucky, his digestive system would be it as its pretty weakened by the disease.

thanks babydoll

Yep, I faked sickness to get out of work many times, and I would say that it was a stomach problem. A lot of this is probably fake.

Quote Originally Posted by shiva

. But, I think a lot of times people just say stomach flu to get out of work because it lasts one day and most people recover quickly. In order to play hookey with a cold, one would have to fake sniffles for 5 days. When people call off from work with it, I usually try to assume they are faking. It helps make me feel better anyway.

But, I really do think that so often when people are sick, they just immediately assume they have a virus, when so often it could be food related, stress related or even related to other health problems.

We just have to hang in there. Things will get better.

Pancreatitis is supposively very painful! UGH!

Babydoll-whats your major?

I have a BS in nursing. UGH Why oh why did I go into nursing. I am not really that happy...I love the knowledge I have receieved though. I have gotten so much worse about being a germaphobe!

I am actually thinking of changing majors...Hmmmmmmmmmm what do I wanna do now????[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

oh yea, if I go back to college I wont have to keep paying my student loans back![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

NO problem, guys. I actually think Viruses are kinda cool to study, I want to get more in depth in that area

madisonmom, my major is Pysch ( a BSc program). I took the minor in Bio because I think part of understanding the way we think and act is understanding the way our body works!

I give you credit for taking nursing! I couldn't do it... all the giving needles and changing bedpans, haha I think I would freak out! you should be proud of yourself!Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I do give a lot of needles but fortunately DO NOT change bedpans. I may have to help every once in a blue moon.

I really dont know why I am in it. Its good money but I need my sanity!!

It's mostly been colds and flu going around my area, (am in Scotland so don't worry!) A few hospital wards have been closed with Norwalk, but that was back in Januaryand haven't heard much about it since.I work in a hospital and they had to cancel 10 scheduled operations because the patients all had sickness and diahreah. Even though I had never met the people I thought that just knowing about it was enough to make me catch it.

I've been thinking about Babydoll's post about how its our bodies that cause us to feel ill and not the virus, it's kind of comforting in a way!

Roz xx

I don't know if it's going around here or not, but Greg and I picked up my brother in law from the auto repair shop today and he said his roommate was up all night throwing up!!! And he said he thought he had "picked something up somewhere". And this afternoon we are supposed to take him back to the car place to pick up his car!! What if he catches it from his roommate. OI don't want those germs in my car!!

Donna - you must feel absolutely surrounded.....[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]. So sorry.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Again! Someone new hasthe rotavirus. So many of these people are getting crap. This girl got it from her son...who is in daycare.

UGH! I want this crap to go away!Edited by: madisonsmom

Is anyone else having major breakouts in their area? I live in Ohio and am hearing about lots of stuff here. The other day I posted that I was going to stop obsessing about this kind of thing (where it is.. who has it.. what month it is.. and so on), but it looks like that is going to take some work for me. I am too curious not to know how things are going througout everyone elses area.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Shiva~ You are having major outbreaks where...in the community?[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I havent heard of anything here. That doesnt mean thatit isnt here. I really ~*think*~ we are past the winter outbreaks here. (I hope)

We have had SO much rain here. Really nice temperatures but tons and tons of rain. I think we got 2 - 3 inches yesterday. It has rain just about everyday for the past week and a half here in Maryland. I guess I am coinciding the viruses and germies with the weather when really these things go around all year round. They worse in the winter here. I know our last round with a tummy bug was last July![img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Yes, within the community. The kids have been out of school for spring break, so I am hoping that kind of helped keep an outbreak from happening at school. They start back tomorrow, though. I just want to try to stop thinking about it. But, I can't help it. My therapist says that it is a good thing when I hear about people being sick because that is what will challenge me and keep me working on my positive self talk and yadda yadda yadda. I guess that's what I have to work on.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I guess I am and was working on positive self talk. I know when a few people we knew a couple of weeks ago had it and my husband worked with one of the people everyday I had a REAL bad day of being anxious. I then started putting things in perspective. I wasnt around these people and neither was my kids. If my husband got it then I would go from there but he didnt. I know I will be faced with is sooner or later...hopefully later but I will have to deal. I think about how I would deal with if it were to happen today. I am trying get through my head and into my subconscious mind that WHEN it happens I will feel like sh*t for about a day or so then be done with it. UGH![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

But really...who likes to have a stomach virus?? I dont know how well I will deal but if I keep doing the self talk I am hoping it will help me through.

Stomach viruses CANNOT be controlled. I try to keep telling myself that. We will live through it.Edited by: madisonsmom

I have been feeling pretty good lately but I have found myself over the weekend taking my remedy, and just lounging around. I don't know exactly was is going on with me. Could be the friging snow that we got! We had a huge snow storm starting Friday night and finally stopped Sunday night. Days before that it was sunny and warm and now this! 20cm of snow! The school buses are cancelled so Tyler will be in his glory no school!! I am now thinking like Debbie, whenwill any of these flu's end?? I do have good news I entered a contest and won a 20"Sony flat screen TV, that is about all the excitement that I have!

Thats really nice Rhonda (wish I could win a TV)

I keep hearing about stomach viruses here and there. I know of a family with it now. Their daughter got it from a kids at daycare. The parents brought the child back to daycare too soon. This little girl had it Friday and her brother started in with it last night. At work today, one of the nurses said that one of the residents had v*and a little d* this weekend but was feeling better today. I hope nothing is starting there. UGH. She shares a room with 3 others people and they arent sick yet...so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Is it ever going to go away??

Its not like its epidemicor anything but I hate hearing anything about it!

I like to remind myself that the "sv" is different for every person. When it went around last year, I caught it from my friend who was up all night v-ing. When I caught it, I woke up in middle of the night, had a 10 minute bout of n* and then spent the next day in bed with a fever and chills. Which is not fun, but it is SO MUCH BETTER than v*. Anyway, I like to remind myself that I am an emet, and as such, I do not v*!!!