Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

After reading very many posts on the sv, everyone says that a person is only contagious once symptoms begin. That conflicts with what I learned in nursing school. We learned that during the incubation period is when a person is most contagious. That is usually before someone starts showing symptoms. So, did I learn wrong? I was just wondering where that information came from and if there was a website, like maybe the CDC.

Thanks!

Jess

SV are passed through fecal to oral contact, or through droplets of v*. So I guess you could be contagious before symptoms, if you are shedding the virus in your stool. But more than likely, if you are having stools, it's because of the virus. So I would think that it is more likely, you are contagious during, and after, cause they say that you can shed the virus for a couple of weeks in your stool. Just wash your hands after using the bathroom!!!!
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

ugh..
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Thanks. I just wondered if all of my medical books were wrong or if they had come out with new information since I was in nursing school. It has been over 5 years since I graduated and they come out with new research all of the time.

I believe the stomach virus is an exception. It is spread via fecal oral as someone has mentioned. All of my nursing books say its spread fecal oral but can be spread the v* aerosalization.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] I guess if someone is running a fever and you drink after them you could get it?? I think this would be theonly way to get the stomach virus before the active symptom period.

The CDC site says this: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/faq.htm

There is another articlethat I found but need to find it again. As soon as I do I post it. I have personally been around someone just a matter of 4 hours prior...close contact and I did not get it.

If they arent showing any symptoms how would you get it? Its not not airborne because its in the GI tract and not lungs. My only guess would be saliva or in the stool prior but I dont think that is possible. Just afterwards due to viral shedding. I wil find that article.

Edited by: madisonsmom

because the incubation period is so short is one of the reasons why you aren't considered contagious before symptoms start. and u have to ingest the virus. i think one of the reasons why you are only contagious once the symptooms show is because the virus has to have time to multiply and move through your system, once the diarreah and vomiting start you are sheddng the virus. there isn't much evidence in the transmision of the sv through saliva. the cdc has some excellent information.

hey, my doc said to me that sv's are contagious after symptoms appear, but it hink colds are contagious beforesymptoms...so your books proba rent wrong on that.

I am with you Jess, I hear that a person is contagious before the symptoms and I hear they are contagious when they are sick? I don't know, I look at it this way they are contagious whenever it started, while they have it! I just make sure my hands are always sanitized!!

As much as I want to believe a person is only contagious AFTER they vomit or have diarrhea, Im not so sure that is really the case. I mean, how many of us really think that a book in nursing school is going to be wrong on this. Please you guys, dont take this wrong, I am NOT asking this is a sarcastic way!!!! However though, I wonder if even though you are not showing symptoms yet, that if someone drank after you, or you didnt wash your hands after using the restroom, that it could be passed that way. Cause see, my daughter got that virus from her cousin back in Nov. and she wasnt around her when she began vomiting, in fact she hadnt been around her for 24 hrs. We didnt go anywhere else that week, so I think she got it from her cousin, even though she wasnt around her when she was v'ing. I wish I could make sense of all this and have a definative answer about when "it" is contagious ...........

Leigh....I think your right. I am just saying that is IS MUCH HARDER and LESS LIKELY to catch it until the symtpoms start. YUCK!!

Thanks, everyone. I guess there is some conflicting opinions regarding this matter. I would love to believe that you are not contagious until symptoms begin but I'm not so certain about that. I guess it is possible that the incubation time for a sv is very short. I have seen it happen both ways though. I know I have been around someone who was not currently sick but later on that night started *v* and then I got it the next day. Also, the last "bad" sv I had I wasn't feeling good the entire day at work and then spent the evening with my boyfriend. We kissed and made out, etc. I thought I was just getting a cold and then I woke up in the middle of the night with *v* and *d*. He actually did come to see me the next day when I was still having symptoms and he never got it. I have to admit that I get pretty nervous when I'm around someone even before they have gotten sick.

I get nervous too! Because you really dont know. I just try to really put it in perspective. Being the mode of transmission is fecal/oral. I just plain hate the stomach virus. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]