Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've visited this site and actually posted. I basically decided that I didn't want to think about my phobia every day like this and read about everyones problems. It seemed to make me worse off than before I found this site. In no way am I saying anything bad about those of you who do find comfort in this site, but it really hasn't been for me.

Anyway, why I'm posting today is to shed a little light into how I am doing and maybe even give hope to those of you who are truly determined to beat this.

In January I started seeing a psychotherapist who turned out to be a great help, but not a cure. I had a really rough December and when I decided to change things, seeing a therapist was on my list of to-do's. I saw him for a total of 5 visits and gained plenty of insight in how to control my emotions/feelings, and also learning how to think positively and get rid of my negative self-talk and worrying.

It hasn't been easy, at all. I've gone through ups and down since then, and even thought I was back at square one. But what I learned was that I can NEVER get back to square one, as long as I'm determined to beat this thing. Yeah it can feel like it for a while, but what you gotta realize is if you're truly motivated the overwhelming feelings will subside and you'll be back to where you left off.

It takes true determination and strength to face your fears and want to change. Many hold to this phobia notbecause they consciouslywant to, but because subconciously it acts as a crutch for them. You may find it easy to get out of certainsituationsbyusing this fear, but all you're doing is letting it control your life that much more.Face thosefears, stepby step, and realize you ARE strong enough to beat this!!

There's a book titled "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" that really has helped in my process to livehealthier. Another good tipto those who don't: Exercise is a great aid in this recovery! It strengthensyour body while strengthening your immune sytem which makes you feel better. It helps rid those nagging thoughts that your ill, while also just making you healthier.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm not planning on visiting again, at least for a long while, so I just wanted EVERYONE here to know there is hope. You CAN conquer this fear and live normally. I realized I would rather enjoy my life than suffer through each day. I just said I was tired of all my obsessions and worries and just let it go. I am still struggling but I am SO much better than I was a few months ago. I've also gained 10 pounds and I'm back to my normal weight of 125 (I'm 5'3"). I feel confident, strong, and happy.

I wish all of you the best in your journey to recovery!!

Wa hoo!

I like to hear even minimal success stories! Imagine what you may have been able to accomplish with more time in therapy. The book's great - I agree. Working away at those exercises does a lot.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.