Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So I was at the university today and was in the bathroom taking a pee. Haha, sorry...but this has to be told to tell you my story.

And another girl walked in and sat down, did her buisness...number 2 by the way..UGH AND WALKED OUT! NO HANDS WERE WASHED.

Most disgusting thing ever!! I almost yelled at her! Can you imagine how many germs she's spreading?!?! DISGUSTING!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

That is so gross. How can you not wash your hands?? Even if I didn't have this phobia, I would still think that that is disgusting. I mean give me a break, you are spreading your sh** all over the place, literally. How gross, what the hell is wrong with people??
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

I have no idea...but I was thouroughly disgusted.

Who does that?!?!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

I absolutely HATE IT when I am in a restroom and hear or see someone walk out without washing their hands!!!! I want to scream at them "DONT YOU KNOW HOW MANY GERMS YOU ARE SPREADING?" I also want to say "Do you honestly think someone wants to touch the same door handle you touched with your unwashed hand, the same one that might have wiped your butt!?!?!?"

OMG! That is so so so nasty. That is how stuff is spread![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Okay, In the woman's defense...you should know how many germs are at those sinks! I watched a show on it once. You really are better off not washing your hands in the restroom and using a wipe or antibacterial wash when you get out.

Does anyone ever watch Senfeld? Has anyone ever seen the episode where Jerry is in the bathroom of a resturant, and Poppy (the owner and cook) is taking a crap, and Jerry is standing at the sink washing his hands and Poppy comes out of the stall and doesn't wash his hands, then makes pizza? Poppy is kneading the dough with his dirty hands and Jerry is staring in disgust? It's a great episode, but it's the truth, who doesn't wash their hands after using the bathroom. It's just poor sanitary conditions.

In response to the dirty sinks thing, this girl I work with, while she isn't an emet, she is a huge germophobe. She always shuts the water off with a clean paper towel when she's down washing, wipes her hands on a new paper towel, then grabs the door handle with it, and then throws the towel out, so she doesn't have to touch the dirty sink after her hands are clean. I do this now too when no ones looking, so I won't look too weird!

Misty

I'm sorry... but there's just no excuse for not washing your hands after you use the restroom... I mean that's just nasty.

If you're worried about touching the sink, etc... then here's what you do... what I do. First check to see how the paper towels work... if they're notthe type you can pull out without touching the dispenser then roll out enough before you wash your hands. Then turn on the faucet, wash with antibacterial soap (which EVERY bathroom should have) then, grab the paper towel, turn off the sink with it, using that same towel roll out another one to finish drying your hands and then use that one to open the bathroom door. Wa LA! You've touched nothing since you cleaned your hands. Use the antibacterial stuff you have afterwards if you feel it's necessary. But don't leave the bathroom without washing your hands otherwise YOU are the one spreading germs to the people! YUCK!!!!because it's just gross!!!

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Well said Rachel!

I agree 100%

That is exactly how I wash my hands, Rachel. What really irritates me is when I roll out the paper towels before I wash my hands and then someone comes out of the stall, quickly washes their hands and then gets my paper towel!

Since we're on the subject, I just have to tell this. I had a friend in nursing school who just didn't believe in washing her hands after going to the bathroom. She agreed that there were so many germs on the sink. I would fuss at her all of the time. Now she is a nurse and still rarely washes her hands. She rarely gets sick either!

i hate it how u have to touch the door handle on the way out of toilets - so even if youve taken the trouble to wash ur hands - the safest way poss - u still gotta get out!! and even if i use my sleeve - i know there may be germs all over that following me around all day!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrr
    ems x

Ewww, that is not what I want to hear, a nurse that doesnt wash her hands!! No offense to you jesskali!!

do you think - i was thinking when i just went to the loo - does it make a diff if u use hot or cold water? i always wonder coz really hot just burns, cold would never kill germs and wamr just breeds them....what to do!!

ems x

They say warm water. And it's not what temp water you use, but how long, and you must always keep your hands in a constant rubbing motion.

oh really...? how long for then?

As long as it takes to sing 'happy birthday' to yourself twice i believe. i heard that somewhere.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

That is exactly why i use my sleeve to open door handles-and not bare hands! Especially in hospitals etc-they are just breeding grounds for germs. Also on public transport where you can hold on-they feel greasy and think of all the people who have had their hands on them!

the people who dont wash their hands though will gradually build up really tough resistance and never be ill! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

x Felicity x

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_40.gif[/img]That is disgusting!!! I really dont wanna think about that! Ill never shake anyones hand again
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Just a note to all of you that rely on antibacterial soaps, I hate to be a party pooper but viruses are viruses, completely different from bacteria, they will not kill the sv. I watched a news show that had a segment on washing hands. Its not the type of soap we use, its the amount of time you spend washing your hands and how vigourously you scrub. Wash your hands for at least 10 seconds, I have heard the singing happy bday too and do this quite often (just not out loud hehe),and when you rinse let the water run off your fingers. One note on antibacterial soaps, the more you use them the morethe antibacterial stuff thats in the soap stays on your hands killing bactieria even when you don't have time to wash your hands. Always use a paper towel if possible to open the door and turn the sink off, I always use my shirt sleeve as a last resort bcus I don't won't to be walking around with the bathroom germs on my shirt sleeve. When my daughter and husband had the stomach virus about 3 weeks ago i didn't get it and the only thing I did was keep my hands washed and bleached everything.

I went to a business luncheon once with a colleague and we went to the
    ladies room together. She walked out of the stall, fixed her hair
    and walked out. I did the "Poppy Stare" from Seinfeld. Of
    course I was washing my hands throughout the whole thing, used paper
    towels to turn off the faucet and used more to open the door.

We got to the table and there was a baguette (bread) on the table and
    she tore a piece off and then proceeded to pass the rest around.
    I announced at the table that she did not wash her hands after using
    the toilet. Everyone appreciated the warning. She was
    mortified that I embarrased her - Oh Well.

Stella

id be greatful if u told me that she hadnt Stella!!

so - do u all do this in ur own homes? use towels to turn the tap and sleeves to open the door? or do u mean u are just doing this in public toilets?

i get the bus everyday - the park and ride bus - and this woman was sat next to me coughing every where without covering her mouth...mingin
    [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

ems x [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I read that you should wash for at least 20 seconds with a mild detergent making sure to get under the nails because that is where most of the germs live. Constant rubbing is definitely important to that the viruses will be scrubbed away. Using antibacterials is not good as said earlier because this only slightly kills bacteria and it may be the good bacteria we need to fight off the viruses!

Stephanie

Just another note on handwashing.

I ALWAYS wash my hands after using any restroom. I try to avoid using public bathrooms but sometimes you cant help it! BUT I make sure enough paper towels are ready...then I turn on the faucet (this is the ONLY time I touch it) I was my hands thoroughly then rinse them...then I dry them off and throw the paper towel away and I USEA CLEANPAPERTOWEL TO TURN THE WATER OFF. If you use a wet paper towel to turn it off then that defeats the purpose. Then I get another clean paper towel and open the door with it. I dont touch anything after my hands are clean.

I dont care how strange I look...I am protecting myself. Call me anal!

Edited by: madisonsmom