Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hey Guys,

lately there seems to have been TONS of posts about SVs and bugs and nasties - and while i appreciate that it has been the season and they are every emets nightmare - im sure - i just wanted your advice on my outlook...

they way i see it, is that if i dont know about incubation periods and how long someone is sontagious etc etc etc - i will never know and not put myself through worrying about it. Am i just being really really stupid? i have no idea how long i have to stay away from some one if they were ill - and i think if i did, well then for that time id be a state - am i being stupid?

ems xx

oops - CONtagious i meant - not sontagious.... [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I happen to agree with you, about 3 yrs ago three of my cousins all had the SV, and I stayed away the day they were sick, and all, but went to visit the next day. With the info I know now, I have I think just added more to my fear. I use to be able to hear about and stay clear, but for almost a yr now it puts me ina total panic, I am learning the less I know the better I am.. U are not alone at all and I totaly understand. Christy :O)

I agree...the less you know the better off we are...I mean...if I don't hear about people being sick...then I don't think about it all the time....but once the stories start...I am in a state of panic and depression...and i would always stay away from someone that had been sick for about 3-4 days at least...unless you work with them...then you can't help it. Kat

Unfortunately worrying about incubation and how long someone is contagious is a part of the phobia. I know it is for me and for other people here. I know there is no concrete answers but all I know is I have my own time frame that I stay away from people.

The less I know is definitely better. But sometimes if I know that a stomach virus has been going around I will want to know who, where, when...etc. I hate it but it is a part of the problem. UGH! I want it to go away!Edited by: madisonsmom

I like to be educated about these issues because for some reason it helps me feel more in control of things, but I do understand that sometimes it is bad to obsess.

\"This too shall pass\"

yeah i know - i hate obsessing about tings like sva and bugs - coz i used to too - and now i find that if i dnt know - who, when where then i am non the wiser and i can just get on with my day....hmm

but then i think - EM, ur putting urself at risk - if i knew then i could decide...

ohhhhh

ems x

I really wish I could get control of the stupid thoughts. I worry, worry, and worry and I realize that actually getting a sv is not as bad as the terrible thoughts.

If I could stop worrying about all of this stuff with who has it, who is contagious, whats the incubation I think I would be past half the battle! Know what I mean? I know my thinking is ridiculous. Thats why I am seeking help for it.

As hard as I try to not worry I do. I am really trying to get perspective of it all and when I really sit down and think about it...I do feel a little better. I think that if our minds would NOT worry...we would not be so anxious.

Do you agree? Or am I really crazy...am I the only one who obsesses about these thing?[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

I totally obsess as well. I just don't want to be sick so I am going to do whatever it takes to steer clear of the germs and bugs. If that means I am neurotic or crazy, then so be it. I know when my kids had the sv the past two weeks, it was EXTREMELY hard for me to deal with and it is not something I want to frequent. I think I had gotten a touch of what they had and I felt bad for a couple of days. I hate that feeling. I am also seeking help, but I wonder if my germophobia will ever cease to exist. I doubt it.

Stephanie

Stephanie...

I totally think that emet can be controlled. I think it takes the combination of therapy, counseling, and meds...maybe others things. I am going to try very hard to beat this. I am so tired of the worry. My stomach probably has ulcers from the worry I go through. I have BAD anxiety in general and A LOT on my plate right now. Emetophobia is not the only thing that is bad in my life. I try to look at all the good stuff happening because I do have that too.

Hang in there sweetie!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Oh, thanks so much madisonmom. I am going to start counseling Monday, which I am excited about because I am so tired of this. It is really difficult to function in the world. I wish we could all get together and have a really good therapist to bring us all through at the same time!

Steph

Me too!! I wish you the best of luck. Let me know how it goes. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]