Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My boss has had bad diarrhea since last Saturday (a week ago). I know last week she was complaining that her stomach was bothering her a lot last week. This past Friday, she said it got really bad (the diarrhea), but that was the last time she went. She said there was blood in her stool last week sometime. She didn't eat at all this weekend. She's been having cold and hot sweats and severe mid to upper back pains where it feels like someone punched her in the back. She still can't eat b/c she feels like she's going to vomit. I was around her all last week, and I'm ok. Her husband and kids are fine too. What do you think this could be? Do you think she's contagious?

Wow, that sounds like colitis to me-she should go to her Dr. ASAP! But I am sure it is'nt contagious.

She just left for the doctor. What are symptoms of colitis? What is it from?

It is an inflamatory bowel disease, sometimes it is genetic. All of what you listed above are symptoms. Crohns disease is another illness that it could be, but that definatly does'nt sound like a contagious sv, especially since she has had it for so long.

The doctor said it is probably something viral, but I can't see that b/c no one else has gotten it and for having it for so long? That makes no sense. Doctors can't diagnose that anyway, can they really?

stomach viruses come on strong and fast and they usually leave the same way-fast. I hate to disagree with the Dr. but I disagree with the Dr. My friend went to her Dr. last week -She thought she had influenza. She had terrible pains and cough and fever and she thought she had broken ribs from coughing so much. Her Dr. sent her home and told her to"breath in some steam" The next day she felt even worse and went to a walk in clinic. she was diagnosed with Severe sinus infection, the beginings of pnemonia and torn cartalige or something-from the strong cough. So Drs are'nt always correct.

I don't think doctors are always right either. When someone says they have had diarrhea for a week, they say it's an sv. That's just not normal. Now I'm afraid I'm going to get it. I was around her all day on Friday and today. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

No, the doctor is probably not listening well and being dismissive as they often are. If she really has blood in her stool, then that is something much more serious than a virus. Also, all of the back pain sounds like something else too. And a week sounds like way too long for viral diarrhea.

I agree...i say colitus (my dad hasd it a few years ago..same symptoms)..or maybe somthing having to do with her gallbladder (hes having similar symptoms now and they just did an ultrasound and think he needs his gall bladder taken out)???

But you shouldnt worry..if she has been sick that long..chances are shes not contagius..so dont panic to bad over it ok? You wont catch this..i bet we cna gaurentee it!!

take care..and tell you fried to get a second opinion.
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

yes, I don't think you need to worry, if her husband and kids are ok, I'm sure it's not contagious.

Yes. Anytime doctors don't know how to diagnose someone they say.. "It's a virus".

I think that must be the first thing they teach them in medschool. When in doubt, declare it a virus.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I get so tired of doctors jumping the gun and declaring it a sv. A little over a year ago, my husband v* for about a week. During that week, we saw three different doctors. The first one said it was food poisoning, the second one said it was the dreaded sv, then finally the third one actually ran some tests and discovered he had H. Pylori. If the first one had actually taken a few minutes and ran a few tests, it would have saved my husband a week of v* and me a week of panic.

I think I would have to get a second opinion. No one else has been sick? Hmmmmm......

Oh my gosh! That poor lady! It sounds just horrible, but
    does not sound like a stomach bug at all. She needs a second
    opinion. Let us know how she is doing. Carrie

Well, she still can't eat now. She gets real nauseous just looking at food. It's just weird. The runs started mildly last Saturday (a week ago) and then it got really bad this past Friday and just stopped. Now she's still just really nauseous. She went out to lunch on March 25th with two other people, and they were sick too. They all ate SALAD. I don't know if they got food poisoning or what. One of the ladies doesn't want to admit it was the place b/c it's her friend's place. Wouldn't her family be sick by now? The diarrhea was really bad on Friday compared to the rest of the week. It's already Tuesday. She said the diarrhea stopped late Friday. I just hope I don't get it. Then again I was around her on Friday when she had diarrhea and wasn't feeling well. I would have gotten it by now, wouldn't I?? What is this guys? She can't even stand the sight of food and it's Tuesday already. She should at least be eating something.

Would she have been more contagious on Friday then she is now like today or yesterday?? I'm scared guys. I have enough crap going on right now.

I have been reading your posts about what is going on with this lady at your work, and I seriously DO NOT think this is a virus. I dont know what is going on, but I dont think you have anything to worry about. I do think she needs to go back to the doctor, it seems that she is getting worse instead of better. Please try to relax, I think you will be ok.

Could it possibly be IBS...I know I have it and I get sick like that alot...not blood in the stools though....that is more serious...unless she has a bleeding hemmoroid...like I have had at times...I am going through some kind of sickness right now myself...i always think it's my period coming on...yesterday I was nauseas from 9am until about 4pm...it was awful...couldn't eat anything..still haven't now I have D really bad and feel awful....still haven't started my period yet either... I am not saying it's not a virus..b/c that is sure what it feels like...but i get it every single month that rolls around...i can't figure it out...so if your friend finds anything out...let me know...it may be the same as I am..Kat

I'll let you know what it is. Do you think she's more contagious now or on Friday?

i dont think she is contagious at all. If it was the sv, it would have passed by now, and also you would be ill by now too. It sounds like ibs. I have ibs and i can come on very quickly, especially if she has been stressed lately. Blood in the stools is never a good thing though, it can be common with constipation ibs, but not diarreah. It could also be colitis so she does need to go and see a doctor as soon as possible to get a second opinion.

i hope she feels better soon, i wouldnt worry, im pretty sure she isnt contagious

It sounds possible that it could be something she ate, especially with the bloody diarrhea. My niece got E.coli at age 4 and she had severe diarrhea that ended up bloody. She never had any *v* if you can imagine that. She had to be admitted for several days. I'm not saying that is what your boss has got, but I definitely don't think she has a virus. It may be some sort of bacterial infection. It sounds as if she needs to have some stool cultures taken to see what is the culprit. Encourage her to see her doctor again!

Jess

I hope she's not b/c I can't afford to miss work.

I do'nt think it's contagious. If her friends are sick to but not her family, I;d be willing to bet it's e-coli or salmonela and the salad was some how contaminated. Just be sure to wash your hands after using the bathroom.

Sounds like she needs to have stool cultures done, could be a parasitic infection... I'm not a doctor but I worked in labs for a few years and this doesnt sound like a regular virus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree it may be colitus or I.B.S.(Irritable Bowel Syndrome) I have that it is an awful disease to have...very embarassing. the sypmtoms sound the smae as mine but i didn't have blood, is it possible she could have a bleeding ulcer?Definatley go to a different Dr. A.S.A.P!!

She said she had blood in her stool only once last week. That was before she got the really bad diarrhea on Friday. The diarrhea ended on Friday, but now she's nauseous and can't eat anything.

To me it really sounds like IBS....I have had it for over 20 yrs...i have D...nausea...all the stomach ailments...for weeks at a time...but she sould for sure be checked for all possibilities...I don't think you have to worry about catching anything from her...because I am at work "sick" from IBS all the time...and no one ever gets anything from me....if that makes yoy feel any better...and I am sick at least 2 times a month with a "mystery virus"...Kat

Quote Originally Posted by shiva

Yes. Anytime doctors don't know how to diagnose someone they say.. "It's a virus".

I think that must be the first thing they teach them in medschool. When in doubt, declare it a virus.

That is exactly what I say!

Maybe it 's her kidneys (the back pain)?? I know, highly unlikely, but still. . . .E Coli sounds more like it. Edited by: donna1216

I doubt it is E.Coli. E.Coli usually causes high fever and can land
    someone incapacitated in a hospital. It is a very scarry
    infection that MUST be treated for survival. She could however
    have another type of bacterial infection, which you would have a hard
    time catching from her. As for IBS, I am not sure. My son
    has it and her symptoms do not sound like the classic IBS.
    Something is going on with her and she needs to see a
    gastroenterologist for some tests. A week and half is way too
    long to feel as bad as she does.

Stella