Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation why does this have to happen???

Omg. So, today the person sitting next to me in class, so close I could smell their breathe, came to school today obviously not feeling well. That's enough by itself to make my heart start racing. As if that wasn't enough, they left class to v*, CAME BACK, sat through class repeatedly getting up to go v*!! Idk if it's just me but I cannot even fathom why if you feel that bad, you come to school. I mean you have the sick days. Wtf are you saving them for!!???? So, my question is, am I definitely going to get it?? I didn't touch them or anything but they touched my jacket and they were sooooo close to me :-(
    Also, randomly, the doors they touched, is everyone who touched them going to pick it up too??
    It is taking so much of my will power not to starting crying right now.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Default Re: why does this have to happen???

im so sorry. i doubt it, if you kept your hands washed before eating and such, i think you are fine. and if they didnt v beside you i also think you are ok. are you sure they went to the bathroom to v?

That is awful! You will probably be fine. Even when children have v* right next to me I havemanaged to avoid it. Wash your hand, maybe your jacket if it helps, and try not to touch youur face And good for you for staying in class...not sure I would haave had the strenghth.

I never touched them or anything, it just...uh. I've been having panic attacks since I left that class. AND ontop of that, I even called off work because the person I was working with earlier, and supposed to work with tonight, told me they were sick all morning. Why come to work then?? It's minimum wage, not a six figure salary.
    And yes I'm sure the person in class went to v* because after a while the nurse eventually just came into class to get their stuff.
    My roommates not feeling too good either. She has a headache and stuff but we did only get about 4 hours of sleep so waiting to see on that one...but she did have contact with the person who got sick We're in the same class.

These type of people are the reason why viruses/illnesses spread around so badly. No offense , but if a person is sick, why can't they stay home, and not bring it out to everyone else? I find this so completely rude and insensitive. At least if you HAVE to be in public, wear a mask and/or sit away from other people. I'm not just talking about sv, but with everything. Frankly, I am not a germaphobe, but if someone is sick at work, I will walk up and tell them to please go home, so they rest of us don't catch it. A few weeks ago someone at work came in coughing, hacking, running a fever, and obviously very sick. A few of us told them they need to go home. Well, sure enough, 8 of us came down with pneumonia. THANKS! I had to miss 2 weeks of work because they couldnt stay home for a day or two. At least with an sv, you get it through touching infected stuff, and can avoid it by washing your hands but with pulmonary illnesses, they are airborne... someone coughs, people breathe it in and within a few days we are all coughing. You can't avoid breathing! This just ticks me off! I had a woman once bring her son to my house, and the child obviously had pink eye. Now, pink eye really isn't a big deal, but if my kids get it, then they miss school. And sure enough, they got it. Was there really a need to bring the child over when he had it? Cmon now!

Exactly. It seems mean to say, but one person missing a day or two isn't as bad as a lot of people all being out at once because they couldn't stay home. If you feel that bad you're not going to get much work done anyway, so why not save the engery where it's needed? Getting better. Oooo and I also have Lupus (an auto-immune disease and am on a few immo-suppressent drugs which makes getting sick soooo much better :/)

I do not understand why people feel the need to go out in public and spread their germs!! Drives me NUTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Heksem View Post
    I do not understand why people feel the need to go out in public and spread their germs!! Drives me NUTS!
    Some people don't know they're contagious for those three days after they vomit, others don't think like we (as emets) do. To them, they can go out and do whatever without giving it a second thought about whether it'll get them (or others) sick.

It drives me insane.
    You're just make others sick too, and making yourself feel worse.

I too find this behavior to be inconsiderate and infuriating. More generally I am disgusted at the amount of people who neglect to wash their hands after using the restroom - Lord only knows what you're spreading onto every surface you touch! Gah!

However, unfortunately, people can be contagious with noro even up to two weeks after they are well, [source: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/norovirus-eng.php#s5] so it's not reasonable to expect them to be out of commission for all that time. What is reasonable is to expect they would practice good hand hygiene... unfortunately, many people do not; and to expect them to stay home when they are actively v*, since that's the only way it can be "spread" to another person in a way the other person can't control [except if the sick person prepares food].

Tell me about it! people are so stupid where germs are concerned, & everyone seems to be ill right now where I am, I mean everyone I meet seems to be coughing & sneezing all over the place. I think we should do what the japanese do, & wear masks when ill to stop the spread of illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by summerdazies View Post
    I too find this behavior to be inconsiderate and infuriating. More generally I am disgusted at the amount of people who neglect to wash their hands after using the restroom - Lord only knows what you're spreading onto every surface you touch! Gah!

However, unfortunately, people can be contagious with noro even up to two weeks after they are well, [source: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/norovirus-eng.php#s5] so it's not reasonable to expect them to be out of commission for all that time. What is reasonable is to expect they would practice good hand hygiene... unfortunately, many people do not; and to expect them to stay home when they are actively v*, since that's the only way it can be "spread" to another person in a way the other person can't control [except if the sick person prepares food].

No, I don't expect someone to sty home after the vomit or nausea has stoppped. However, like I said, with the SV, you can avoid it if you keep your hands washed, keep em out of your mouth, so if someone is still contagious, but I practice good hygeine, there is no problem. But like I said in my post before, pulmonary viruses/bacteria are AIRBORNE, and you can't avoid breathing. Hence why colds/the flu are so easily spread and hard to avoid, because if someone coughs, and its in the air and you breathe it in... BAM! Not to mention that with most of those bacteria, once you are on antibiotics for 48 hours, you are no longer contagious. So, stay home, take your antibiotics for 2 days THEN come back to work!

I agree. I'd never expect someone to miss that much work or school, but they should definetely stay home while they are at least actively v* and have d*. Also, of course, keeping up good hygiene when you do come back. It's just commen sense.

This drives me crazy too. My boss has 3 small children and he catches their ailments all the time. He thinks he HAS to come to work since he's the almighty Senior Director of Global Benefits. I don't care if you are the freaking CEO, keep your a$$ home when you are sick! He actually gave me a stomach virus once ans had the nerve to get on to me for being out of work with HIS sv for 2 days!

That is bad. Some people will just never understand :/
    I have to go to that class tomorrow, but we had spring break last week so it's been a week and a half since I last saw the person so hopefully everything will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyAsh View Post
    That is bad. Some people will just never understand :/
    I have to go to that class tomorrow, but we had spring break last week so it's been a week and a half since I last saw the person so hopefully everything will be okay.
    It should be ok by now. I doubt he's still contagious and the schools do get cleaned everyday (maybe not a great deal, but at least the floors are mopped, etc). It should be fine

My dad goes to work sick lawl...he doesn't give a rat's ass if he's doing all his paperwork in the bathroom. He's the boss though and is not allowed sick days. He works at a bank as an exec credit officer. Unfortunately, he STILL forces me to go to class if I'm feeling like poop and I'm turning 20 in less than two months (YAY!! ) He's like, "there's bathrooms all around campus if you need to get sick" eughh he basically says anything is still doable if you're not dying.
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 03-13-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.