Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Some advice would be great ...

Hi everyone I hope I don't bore any of your with my post. But I have had a fear of being sick since a very young age. I recently got back from a hol in Barcelona with my boyfriend, we travelled back by plane on Weds, both felt really really weak and unwell. Thurs morning I went home to my house and said goodbye to him, we both felt the same very weak and he was suffering stomach cramps and constant going to the loo. The rest of Thurs I felt rubbish, just weak - and him the same. I woke up Fri morning and phoned him and he said he had been up all night being sick with diareah very badly. I panicked and thought I'm going to get this. It's been roughly 57 hours since I have been with my boyfriend so I'm hoping I won't come down with it? He see a doctor this morning and they said it's Viral Gastroenteritus. Either by food contamination or from person-to-person. I'm really concerned now that I will catch it but also more concerned about when I next see my boyfriend if I catch it!!

I have looked online and it says they can be contagious up to 2 weeks after symptoms. And the bugs can be on surfaces up to 2 weeks also. What am I supposed to do not kiss him or stay at his house for 2 weeks??

I feel a bit selfish by wanting to avoid him, but I really don't want to catch whatever he has!

I started feeling better yesterday and never had symptoms like his all I felt was extremely weak and tired. I'm eating normally and don't have any problems so far.

Obviously I'm really scared of coming down with it this weekend (even though its been 57 hours since I see him) and over the next couple weeks I don't know what to do to avoid it. Please help!!!

Thanks x

Default Re: Some advice would be great ...

Welcome to iES. You will find a lot of conflicting information here concerning incubation periods and how long a person is contagious for, etc. You'd be fine to kiss him. You cannot contract the virus through saliva unless the person had immediately vomited just prior to contact. You don't have to stay away from his house either. Yes, it's still possible to pick up the virus but if he's good about washing his hands after using the restroom, you should be fine. I am not one to encourage avoidance behaviors so I say don't avoid visiting him or anything. Carry on as normal even though that is easier said than done. It's unlikely that you will catch it but the anxiety you are experiencing will make you feel sick.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    Welcome to iES. You will find a lot of conflicting information here concerning incubation periods and how long a person is contagious for, etc. You'd be fine to kiss him. You cannot contract the virus through saliva unless the person had immediately vomited just prior to contact. You don't have to stay away from his house either. Yes, it's still possible to pick up the virus but if he's good about washing his hands after using the restroom, you should be fine. I am not one to encourage avoidance behaviors so I say don't avoid visiting him or anything. Carry on as normal even though that is easier said than done. It's unlikely that you will catch it but the anxiety you are experiencing will make you feel sick.
    Thanks so much for replying. I think with him being a typical guy - cleaning and bleaching his house wont be perfect - thats what concerns me.

I was having panick attacks last night it's now about 69 hours since I have seen him so I'm hoping I'm in the clear.

The nurse said it's viral gastroenteritis but it's hard to say whether it was by food or a person.

My stomach has been gurgling and I had indegestion last night - I think this could be the anxiety as you said. And lack of food.

I wish I wasn't so scared of getting ill, what on earth can I do to get over my phobia :-(

You're welcome! I think bleaching will be just fine. Trust me, our immune system is much much stronger than you think! I definitely think you're in the clear now! I think gastroenteritis is the doc's explanation a good majority of the time but there's really no way of knowing unless they analyze stool. I hope he is feeling better now and I hope you are feeling better now!!
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

You're welcome! I think bleaching will be just fine. Trust me, our immune system is much much stronger than you think! I definitely think you're in the clear now! I think gastroenteritis is the doc's explanation a good majority of the time but there's really no way of knowing unless they analyze stool. I hope he is feeling better now and I hope you are feeling better now!!

Hi again! Well a little update is he got the diareah back last night. Can't understand why maybe it's food poisoning to carry on for such a long time?

How long could he be contagious for does anyone know?

Traveller's diarrhea maybe?
    My shadow

Traveller's diarrhea maybe?
    Thats what I'm thinking too....especially when you go out of the country!

Hope you had a fun time prior to this and welcome to the boards nontheless!!