Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Dramamine/ Bonine question

Haven't been by in a while, hi everyone!

Since n* is the main cause of my anxiety, lately I've been taking Bonine and Dramamine instead of my Tranxene. It clears up the queasiness enough that I don't go into a full panic attack. I take the less drowsey versions, and they're getting to a point where even though I'll sleep AWESOME, they don't make me drowsy at all during the day.

What I was wondering is has anyone talk to the Dr. about using them? Is there a chance of dependency or then being detrimental to my system? I have an appt with my regular doc for a check up, but not until May.

I've recently moved in w/ my boyfriend, my first move EVER, about 40 minutes from my house. My sleeping and eating schedules have changed a lot and it was causing a lot of stomach and anxiety. Things are starting to calm down, but I'm definitely still having more attacks than I used to. I'm sure things will continue to get better, but I'm worried that chewing a bonine 3-5 times a week may cause more issues than it's helping. Anyone get any negative warnings from the Docs, or were they recommended to anyone for daily / almost daily use?
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Default Re: Dramamine/ Bonine question

I take meclizine everyday (dramamine II), usually a half a pill twice a day although I tend to build up a tolerance and take a whole one sometimes. My doctor didn't say anything about it, and I've done research and it seems perfectly fine. Some people take it everyday for other conditions. I think the same would go for whatever you're taking (though I'm not a doctor). Meclizine really helps me, and the sleepiness becomes less intense when you learn how to deal with it.

I advise against anti-emets unless you're experiencing true nausea. You don't want to take a chance that they won't work then. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would like to state that certain anti-emetics, your body can't build a tolerance too. Promethazine, mine, has been working greatly for the last 8 months. Side Effects drop, not effectiveness.

things like meclizine, dramamine and bonine are meant for motion sickness - they're antihistamines and won't necessarily help you if you are n* for other reasons. Last time I v*ed I took bonine - and clearly it didn't stop me.

Not sure if you're taking it for motion sickness or to quell general anxiety about v*ing, but they won't necessarily help with n*.