Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I had a bag of pretzels sitting on my desk (a small grab bag size) that I was eating for lunch. I didn't have time to bring lunch this morning, so while I was at Target I just grabbed a bag of pretzels. After carefully washing my hands, I was eating my first pretzel when a co-worker came up to talk to me. He took a pretzel out of my bag without asking and now I can't bring myself to eat anymore. I had only eaten one!!! I had no problem giving him one, but don't just take it wothout asking! Then he proceeded to tell me that he can't drink Cherry Cokes anymore (as he looked at mine) because they are ripping up his stomach. My first thought: "are you sure it's the Coke and not a sv?" I didn't say that, but it's even more of a reason for me not to eat the rest of my pretzels. Ahh!! And I have to stay late tonight to make up for leaving early on Thursday, so basically I won't get to eat for a long time.

Sorry, just had to vent!

Oh, that's awful!A lot of people say that about soda but I find it HELPS my stomach. Any way you could have a bite to eat delivered?
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

I hate that. I used to have friends who did that so now I'm very choosy about what I eat and infront of whom. I'm sorry for you though, people can be very rude and uncaring sometimes.

Let me just clarify that no one I work with knows about my emet. He is actually a really nice guy. People around here always bring in food to share, so it isn't uncommon to have a bowl of M&M's on the file cabinet or something that everyone is sticking their hands in(I of course don't participate). To most people it probably isn't a big deal, but to us it is nerve-wracking!

Whether or not you are emet, it is just plain rude to stick your hand
    in someone else's food. I don't do that to my children let alone
    a co-worker. You don't need to explain yourself. If
    anything, I would just say "Excuse me, what are you doing?" Make
    them look foolish. As for whether you eat any more pretzels -
    pitch them.

Stella

I haven't eaten anymore of the pretzels. The only other thing I had to eat was one of those giant sized boxes of Mike and Ike's. So between just having my Cherry Coke and those candies, my stomach is not all too happy right now. Hopefully once I get home and can eat something a little better, I will feel better, but right now I feel pretty crappy. I really don't want to eat when I get home because my stomach hurts, but it probably would make me feel better.

I have to diverge in opinionfrom the other posts here. Unless he fondled each pretzel individually, I wouldn't worry about eating them after he helped himself, although politeness would dictate that he ask first. Of course, if hewere avery, very close friend, then it would be o.k. if he didn't ask. Anyway,I know that you already decided not to eat them, but if you had eaten them, I'm sure that you would have been fine.

Ugh! I know just how you feel. I went to a family function on Sunday for father's day. I had a show Saturday and was wiped out so I slept in and came later to my Uncle's house. Well... When I got there, everyone except my grandpa and cousin were out on the boat. I hadn't eaten and there was chips sitting on the table, these cheeseballs in a big old plastic jar. I poured some onto a paper plate and ate almost all of them when the people came back from the boat. My cousin comes in with her 2 year old son, and grabs the cheeseball jar and lowers it so he can stick his slobbery 2 year old hand into the jar. She said "want some more?" so he had been doing it before I got there! Ugh, what was I thinking... I couldn't eat anything else all day, not even the cheap dogs on the grill, and they're my favorite.

ok, that is one of my biggest pet peeves - people seem to think its so cute to let their kids handle food that everyone else is eating and I KNOW kids don't have clean hands. I was at a birthday party for a one year old a few months ago and of course to my disdain they put her on the table with the cake and let her mash it all to pieces. Then they had the NERVE to serve pieces from that cake to everoyne else!! needless to say I declined my piece.

I think its disgusting even if you are not an emet.

O.K. Now that is gross.

Quote Originally Posted by mjewell

ok, that is one of my biggest pet peeves - people seem to think its so cute to let their kids handle food that everyone else is eating and I KNOW kids don't have clean hands. I was at a birthday party for a one year old a few months ago and of course to my disdain they put her on the table with the cake and let her mash it all to pieces. Then they had the NERVE to serve pieces from that cake to everoyne else!! needless to say I declined my piece.

I think its disgusting even if you are not an emet.

Aside from the fact that it was rude of him to help himself to your food, I would still have eaten the rest of them - I work part time in a pub and we sometimes have a bowl of M&M's or Minstrels that get passed round to everyone and I still eat them [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Nikki

Yeah, that's just rude. Forget emet, it was a single sized bag of pretzels not a bowl for public use. If he's generally nice thats cool but that was not the most polite thing to do. I'm sure the pretzels are sitll OK tho.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin