Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Motion sickness - does it affect you?

This is so weird. I don't get motion sickness in the car, train, bus, plane or boat.

But for some reason I get soo n* on even the tiniest roller coaster or even going skiing down hill. It seems I get motion sick when there isn't something protective around me.

Do you guys get motion sick? Do you enjoy fun rides at the amusement park?

Default Re: Motion sickness - does it affect you?

I don't get motion sickness from any of those things you mentioned. In fact, I often feel better when I'm in motion (weird, I know). I find if I start to feel not so well when when I'm driving, the need to concentrate on the road and my surroundings distracts my mind from dwelling on unpleasant things.

I don't like the way roller coasters make my stomach feel...all the steep downward motion makes me feel like my own insides are being sucked out of my rear (yuck, I know). It hurts my stomach. I don't like falling for the same reason. Weirdly enough, the rides that spin don't bother me at all. Constantly looping upside down seems to, though.

I don't get motion sickness at all. I'm an adrenaline junkie actually, I absolutely LOVE roller coasters and carnival rides, and doing crazy things that make some people sick. The only time I avoid spinny rides is if I'm on my period, because I end up REALLY n*. Weirdly, if I'm n*, it helps me more if I pace back and forth than if I just sit still. I still sometimes get apprehensive getting on a new roller coaster, or getting on a plane, because sometimes your body can surprise you, but so far I've been okay!

I actually don't know about planes because I always take something before I enter one, but I don't think I get nauseous because of a 30 minutes flight I was forced to be in without meds. Cars, only if I'm inside one for like, 12 hours or more, but I just get distracted and it goes away.

I can't enjoy anything that makes me feel that my stomach is behind me, like roller coasters. I think that it's mostly because of the fear that someone elses vomit and makes me vomit after them.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Im lucky enough to seemingly have no motion sickness at all, ive been on some quite rough ferry crossings and flights and never even felt a little bit unwell, in a way i love things like that, i get an adrenaline rush from turbulence. I think I get that from my dad since my mum does seem to suffer alot with motion sickness especially when flying, not to the point where she V*s but she doesnt enjoy it.

No. Never had motion sickness in cars, trains, planes, buses. I was afraid I might have sea sickness but after travelling on a tiny boat in a rainstorm without being sick, I was given proof I am not prone to sea sickness either. It felt like a roller coaster ride. I do fall asleep easily when I'm a passenger in a train, car, whatever, though.

I only get motion sickness if I'm a passenger in a car in traffic, but it isn't nausea, it's just a gross feeling.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

I got motion sickness bad when I was young, but now I can travel in most cars okay. I generally take something for long journeys in buses and on boats because I dont want to risk vomiting. Motion sickness is actually really unpleasant and I have vomited in a bus from it before. I go on some rollercoasters depending on how long it goes for, how rough it is, etc. I do find however the more scary they are, the less likely I will feel ill because i am focused on the thrill of the experience and not my stomach.

I sometimes get a little upset tummy from car rides in bad traffic. I never really experienced true motion sickness until I went to Mexico for vacation and went out on a boat in the ocean to go snorkeling. It was the worst feeling I have ever had. I was fine for a while then the seas started getting rougher the farther out we went. The first thing I felt was dizzy then sweaty and n*. I thought for sure I was going to be sick I even was hanging over the side of the boat. It took me an hour after getting back to shore to feel normal again. I never did v* but thought I was going to. You will never see my butt on a boat in the ocean again!

I have been really n* on swings before and I used to have problems sometimes in a car. I have never really tested the ocean thing out. I always dosed up with a lot of antiemetics even inshore, but especially for the offshore environment. I highly recommend being with understanding people and taking something plenty of time beforehand for emets going on boats. The offshore environment is really special but it's also somewhat anxiety producing, especially when out of the sight of land. I always loved planes as a kid, but I was terrified of them before last fall when I took my first flight in a very long time. I took phenegran for motion sickness prevention, and I got less anxious on each flight. I want to fly again soon before I get terrified again, but will probably be laying as low as I can until this noro season blows over.

Yes. I do. It's especially bad on boats. I'm okay in a row boat or a canoe, but about anything else is a no go for me. I also get sick from rides. I am a real bummer at amusement parks as I even have problems with merry go rounds. I've only been sick on a plane once and the pilots were intentionally hitting all the biggest air pockets they could find (Air Force plane) thinking it was really funny. I hope they and their crew enjoyed cleaning up the v from their little joke.

I've never had a problem with motion sickness, in fact I have always loved roller coasters and carnival rides! They are short-term and I feel like I have control over my time on them.

I never considered that a car ride could provoke motion sickness. It was never even discussed as a kid and I never had any hint of it. Most of our family road trips were on long straight highways. And my parents were delighted to let me drive as soon as I was old enough.

Then, I got a job working for a major manufacturer of marine enines (ship's engines!). I let my love of big power and high technology overpower my concerns of motion sickness. Finally, I had to face my fear in a small boat on rough seas. I found out that I'm very resistant to motion sickness (thank goodness).

I think about it often when seas get rough. Mainly worry about others getting sick. But so far never happened to me. Some day it could happen - but not yet.

Sincerely,
    David

A lot of interesting answers. Great that most of you don't have any problems with motion sickness. & David, good for you!

Grace, that sounds horrible! There are so many people with a fear of flying so those pilots should know better.

I'm the same with the merry go rounds as well. I always end up taking the ferris wheel (cause it's slow), walking through the haunted house, then I sit out the rest!
    Last edited by nagisa; 01-28-2013 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks!

Motion sickness is truly in your head. Not saying it is not real - just reminding everyone it is a brain-induced problem. I firmly beleive that "beleiving it won't be a problem" combined with "keeping yourself occupied" and "not trying to sit still" are the best behavior based defences. Ginger root is a very good medicinal way to ward off the stomach effects, but keeping the head busy with other things is more important.

I've never suffered from motion sickness myself, but I suffer from 'travel anxiety' if I'm travelling with other people - in that I'm constantly worrying that people I'm travelling with will get motion sick.

I was seasick a couple of times when I was very young, although I never vted. I won`t go on rollercoasters because I`m terrified of them, but I don`t get motion sick now.

Sadly I get motion sickness ALL the time on anything, anywhere! I used to V when I was younger, but as I got older I learned how to fight it. I hate it. It's a horrible way to live. I can't do anything!
    I do know part of my reason I get that way is because of my ears. My ear doctor said my vestibules? are really sensitive, so there's no way around my motion sickness. It really sucks having this and being an emet as well.

No motion sickness on cars/trains/buses. I can even use my cell phone/game boy on the automobiles, something that sets off my fiancee's motion sickness. Never been on a boat, never want to be on a boat. I don't want to test that one. Planes, I seem to do okay, a little sick stomach but no n.

I get terrible motion sickness...on boats, in the backseat of a moving vehicle or any vehicle stuck in stop and go traffic and can't play first player video games, car games, first person shooter games or watch TV when they have the camera in the rollercoaster.

I never used to be like this and am not quite sure when it started for me. Used to love spinny rides at the carnival and stuff but now I have to take a dramine before I ride a roller coaster (but even then won't get near the spinny rides).

I don't get motion sickness in cars, trains, or planes (although I thought I was on planes but realized it was all just anxiety) but I found out last winter that I get sea sick when I went to Hawaii and went on an all day snorkeling and whale watching trip and it was the worst! I felt so n* and I swear I thought I was going to v* I was just waiting for it to come but luckily I didn't and it took me like a couple hours once we got back on land to start feeling better as well. It sucks cause I was really excited to go snorkeling since I never have and now I know I can't go unless of course I don't mind feeling sick!

Quote Originally Posted by ashley26 View Post
    I don't get motion sickness in cars, trains, or planes (although I thought I was on planes but realized it was all just anxiety) but I found out last winter that I get sea sick when I went to Hawaii and went on an all day snorkeling and whale watching trip and it was the worst! I felt so n* and I swear I thought I was going to v* I was just waiting for it to come but luckily I didn't and it took me like a couple hours once we got back on land to start feeling better as well. It sucks cause I was really excited to go snorkeling since I never have and now I know I can't go unless of course I don't mind feeling sick!
    When we were in Maui we went snorkeling just from the beach, there are A LOT of gorgeous beaches that have some beautiful coral and colourful fish right off the shore! We went to Honolua Bay, Napili Bay, and Kapalua Bay, and saw amazing sea turtles, fish, eels, and even squid!! Just throwing this out there as an option if you go back. We would spend half the day each day snorkeling in Kapalua Bay. All three of those bays are west Maui, and are very protected from any waves by coral.

Oh wow thank you! Yeah well if I ever get the chance to go back there I'll have to do that next time!

i ONLY get it in car rides. The ride could be 5 minutes or 50 minutes, doesn't matter. If I don't have food in my stomach then I get nauseated.

I don't get motion sickness on roller coasters and thus I love them, but most other rides are not good for me. I don't like being the passenger in a car and hate the bus. Okay with trains and flying, and if well prepared and focus on the horizon, a boat. If the camera work moves around too much in a movie, I will eventually start to feel it, and for some reason, that kind of motion sickness takes the longest for me to recover from.

Yep! I don't like to be upside down, and spinny rides are out. I am fine in cars, but I can't read or anything. Sometimes if my ex got annoyed while driving and got into a bit of 'angry driving' then I'd definitely start to feel queasy. I don't go near boats. If I absolutely must be on a ferry I have to stay outside by the rail. Planes are rough - I NEED a window seat and have to be looking either out of the window or asleep. Looking at the person next to me or around the cabin makes me n*.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

I get motion sickness quite often. ESP in the car after about an hour. I don't even look out the side windows. Can't go on boats. No roller coasters. I used to be a gymnast and tumble but that never bothered me. I guess it is different though.

I only get it from boats. I refuse to go on a boat.