Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Will you ask for or allow help?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will ask for help.

6 50.00%
  • Yes, I will accept help but only if it is offered.

4 33.33%
  • No, I won't allow anyone to help.

2 16.67%
  • Other

0 0%

Default Do you have trouble asking for or accepting help?

I find that when someone in my family (now 5 of us, with the baby) is v*, and someone asks if they can help, I am not able to let anyone come help. Is that common? I would worry endlessly that the person would catch it, and it would be all our fault. Just isn't worth it. I guess I also feel it is such a private thing, especially if I or my hubby has it, nobody should be able to witness seeing us like that. I am still recovering, very tired, and my baby is wearing me out. Someone asked if she can take the baby for me tomorrow, she is taking care of twin foster babies also, but I can't bring myself to let her have my baby just in case tomorrow is the day she gets it. My church's secretary emailed me that her son is ill (not sure what he has) but since his friend is too, they are being ill together (at the other boy's house) while she works. I wish my life were that uncomplicated!

Default Re: Do you have trouble asking for or accepting help?

I can't let anyone except my Mum or my older children help because my older children are great with hygiene (although the 11 yr old still gets sv, and my Mum is just as phobic. Oh I wish I didn't have
    this miserable affliction!!

I will ALWAYS ask for ANY help I can get. The last time I was sick (3 years ago), just before it I kept telling my mum (who was with me at the time) "Help me" and "Save me" or "Can you not stop it?" out of pure anxiety. I know that if I don't get help, I'll continue to live in distress and anxiety. I'll always ask questions and try to get people to understand and care for me.

Well, I use to ask my parents or whoever was around to pray with me (I'm not religious, it was just out of anxiety). However, the last time I v*ed, I asked my dad to pray with me right before it happened. He said no and acted all annoyed. I'm sure you can guess what happened next. After that, I realized that asking for help was useless. Now whenever I think I'm going to v*, I isolate myself from people. Being around them just reminds me of how I use to be.

The last time I v*d I was so scared. I begged my husband to save me / help me / make it go away / pleeeeeease... It was not a pretty sight. He is the only person I would let near me, though. If he's not there, I would rather be alone. However, if I was sick and at home alone with my daughter, or she was sick... I would have NO trouble asking for help. I get pretty desperate in those situations!

If the situation gets bad enough, I ask my mom for help. Last November my daughter got the SV, then my other daughter, husband, and I all came down with it at the same time two days later. My dad came to help clean my car when my other daughter got ill, and I abandoned him to pace the back yard and cry "help me! help me!" to my mom, and she came and stayed the night with us. I made it through the whole illness without V*, though, thanks to my Zofran. Oh how I wish I could just be a normal person. It's so hard to live like this. But I agree, the most preferred way is for me to be alone anytime I feel ill or panicked. I can handle my anxiety better alone, when I don't have to worry about anyone seeing me like a crazy person.

Yep, desperate is the perfect word to describe it lol. If I'm desperate enough, I'll ask anyone for help. Hell, when the nurse was feeding the tube town my nose I asked "what if I throw up"? So she put a bucket in front of me. WTH that just made it worse!